The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    I think being tired from the gym is a good thing Nyannie.

I saw parts of the race at spa, what on earth gets into Lewis Hamilton, he takes this competitive sports stars to new lengths. and makes his sport laughable, whatever happened to sportsmanship and supporting your fellow team mates?

the sun has come out again after a couple of days of rain...my garden did need it , but this miserable weather is offputting..

I thought it was nothing more than a racing incident and the stewards thought the same. Yes it was clumsy from Nico and of course there's no greater crime than hitting your own teammate, but honestly it's been blown out of all proportion. Mercedes management have compounded it by washing their dirty laundry in public and ripping into one of their drivers on live tv before speaking to him, which I think is appalling. Then Hamilton stirred it even more by telling journalists that Nico said he'd hit him on purpose, now refuted by the team.

Hamilton seemed to throw their long friendship under the bus earlier in the season with silly interviews comparing his upbringing with that of 'privileged' Nico and highlighting Nico's nationality. He seemed to forget all the things that Nico's father did for him while they were both karting in their youth. He's disappointed me this season with all this nonsense when he should have been concentrating on racing. Rant over. :D
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Off to the gym in a minute. I must look at John's new twitter picture.

It has brightened up here. Must go and stake up neighbour's tomatoes. She didn't put enough compost in the pot and it has blown over. Pot too small too but there you go.

Must wash the floors today - was going to do it yesterday but it didn't stop raining until 4 and was very humid!!!

Well, must go.

Take care and have a lovely day.
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    afternoon all, busy planning things for next term.

glad to see a new picture of John.

strange news from this Rotherham enquiry, I must admit to being totally appalled by this, how on earth does this level of ....lack of care for vulnerable children...come about. ? I thought we had had loads of legislation and awareness training to stop this kind of thing happening?

I think at times there is too much lip service paid to the law, and not enough actual implementation. We are almost heading back into Victorian times, with appalling abuses like Fagin and his gang of street kids, who live and operate outside the normal legal system. Im very very sad about this.
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone just popped on to wish John James a happy 25th birthday haha.

Plus a little youtube from partonrocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzDZRtZUc8Q
    Forum Member
    ellemay wrote: »

Plus a little youtube from partonrocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzDZRtZUc8Q

What a lovely message and a lovely sentiment, good to see you on here ellemay.

We made so many wonderful friends from watching BB, and it was almost a life changing experience and took me into a much more interesting place.

Im just back from a wonderful day in London looking at paintings of Virginia Woolf, what an amazing life she had.
    Forum Member
    afternoon everyone, so the plasterer has finished, I have cleaned up after him and now for a cup of coffee. !!

Hopefully after this the kitchen is going to be slowly put back together again. fingers crossed...xxx

how is everyone?
    Forum Member
    afternoon everyone, so the plasterer has finished, I have cleaned up after him and now for a cup of coffee. !!

Hopefully after this the kitchen is going to be slowly put back together again. fingers crossed...xxx

how is everyone?

Happy Birthday John. Hope we see you over here before too long.

So glad the plasterer has finished augusta. Now should be the easy part - except for tiling.

Hope your kitchen is finished before the end of the month.

O/H is going to take me out for a curry - would rather stay in, but I never turn down a free meal!
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Hello

Family stuff keeps cropping up, don,t they know
    i,m supposed to be here
    so sorry, but i had to go away for a few days
    no problems all sorted now :D

hope all are well
    going to read back

but i do believe i missed our thread names birthday :blush:

so a very happy birthday Mr John James from me x:D
    Forum Member

Ellemay, so sorry i missed you, hope you are well x

thanks for the youtube :D
    Forum Member

how is everyone?

Well thats a big job out of the way, the plastering, will it take long to dry

is the kitchen still sort of useable, or are you living on good old take away :D
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Happy Birthday John. Hope we see you over here before too long.

So glad the plasterer has finished augusta. Now should be the easy part - except for tiling.

Hope your kitchen is finished before the end of the month.

O/H is going to take me out for a curry - would rather stay in, but I never turn down a free meal!

yum, we had a chilli tonight
    enjoy and you are so right
    never turn down a treat or free meal :D
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Forgot to thank you ellemay for the lovely tribute to John. Can't believe he is 29! Time really does fly.

We have huge ant hills in the front garden lawn. I have just sprinkled corn flour on them. Hope this does the trick! Fed up with them.

Have a good day all.

Georgy - I know what it is like to have family commitments. Just make sure you find time for yourself.
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Forgot to thank you ellemay for the lovely tribute to John. Can't believe he is 29! Time really does fly.

Morning Nyannie it'll be the big 30 next year for him x

Hi to Marion Lena and Georgie and Luke x Lovely to see this thread still at the top i think John is a special housemate to keep us all talking for so long. Facebook groups still going too x
    Forum Member

Hi to Marion Lena and Georgie and Luke x Lovely to see this thread still at the top i think John is a special housemate to keep us all talking for so long. Facebook groups still going too x

Hi back to you too. I have made some wonderful friendships from this thread. I am glad to hear FB still going too. It is really remarkable when we get so little info from John.

Shall we hold a birthday party for him next year? I would like to know that he is happy and settled.
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

We have huge ant hills in the front garden lawn. I have just sprinkled corn flour on them. Hope this does the trick! Fed up with them.

Have a good day all.

Georgy - I know what it is like to have family commitments. Just make sure you find time for yourself.

Hello Nyannie,
    don,t worry i will find time, just for me :D

i have never heard of cornflour for ant hills before
    let me know if it works, i also have ant hills on my back lawn

going to have a nice hot bath now,
    hope you had a great day :D
    Forum Member

30 next year, wow how time has flown
    i can't believe that ....... just wow..... sort of gob smacked now :D
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Well, the cornflour hasn't worked and tedious research on the internet hasn't been more helpful - boric acid and sugar, coffee granules, hot water - nothing seems to be effective. We started to have the problem when we had new turf laid and the people who did it, didn't do it properly. It is awful.

I made apple crumble but o/h said there wasn't enough crumble - what is the ratio please? I did have some left over. I was going to put all the crumble on, but it looked too much for the apples. Going to try bread pudding (American version) this week. Good thing I am going to the gym. . .

Have a lovely day. It is lovely and sunny out so may go out and do some deadheading.
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Well, the cornflour hasn't worked and tedious research on the internet hasn't been more helpful - boric acid and sugar, coffee granules, hot water - nothing seems to be effective. We started to have the problem when we had new turf laid and the people who did it, didn't do it properly. It is awful.

I made apple crumble but o/h said there wasn't enough crumble - what is the ratio please? I did have some left over. I was going to put all the crumble on, but it looked too much for the apples. Going to try bread pudding (American version) this week. Good thing I am going to the gym. . .

Have a lovely day. It is lovely and sunny out so may go out and do some deadheading.

How funny is that Nyannie

i have just made a apple and Blackberry crumble

i used 6 large cooking apples and a small pot of blackberries i pick yesterday,
    while out for a walk in the countryside with mum :D

i put them in my pan with a little water and some soft brown sugar , and stewed them down a little

i then used 3 oz soft butter and 6 oz of plain flour
    and 3 oz of soft brown sugar, this has work well for me, a good mix of both :D

hope this helps :D not that i,m a expert or anything :p

by the way i,m also liking this new girlfriend , she has just sent us the most beautiful
    Banoffee pie, i hate making it, i,m no good at it, but it is my sons and hubs favourite

result ...... i think :D

just going to sit down and watch the footie now, lets hope we get the win,
    but it going to be a hard match ....

hope all have a good day x
    Forum Member
    How funny is that Nyannie

i have just made a apple and Blackberry crumble

i used 6 large cooking apples and a small pot of blackberries i pick yesterday,
    while out for a walk in the countryside with mum :D

i put them in my pan with a little water and some soft brown sugar , and stewed them down a little

i then used 3 oz soft butter and 6 oz of plain flour
    and 3 oz of soft brown sugar, this has work well for me, a good mix of both :D

hope this helps :D not that i,m a expert or anything :p

by the way i,m also liking this new girlfriend , she has just sent us the most beautiful
    Banoffee pie, i hate making it, i,m no good at it, but it is my sons and hubs favourite

result ...... i think :D

just going to sit down and watch the footie now, lets hope we get the win,
    but it going to be a hard match ....

hope all have a good day x

Thanks for this georgy - it sounds easier - but how thick a layer do you have for the crumble part?
    Forum Member
    i love all the talk about apple crumble and going blackberry picking, that's something I haven't done for years.;-D

The kitchen is semi usable, its complicated, as my OH is mainly doing it himself, at weekends, its a kind of one step forwards two steps back kind of thing. 2 third of the kitchen is now plastered, but we still need to take one wall out which contains the sink!! to finish the plastering. We have started tiling the floor today, so some units can start to be put back, but the whole thing is going to take weeks to complete......

That is my next job, to actually write out our plan for the next few weekends. it isn't helped by the fact that we have a couple of busy weekends coming up , one of which is my mums 80th, and I volunteered to have a family party at my house that weekend, cos despite me trying to persuade her to go away somewhere for a weekend, she has just spent so long being indecisive, we had to make a decision, but its going to be interesting as my kitchen is still going to be in chaos. !! I will have an oven and a microwave, and a sink in the utility room that weekend!! I think its going to have to be either jacket potatoes and salad kind of meal, or a takeaway!!

I have no idea how to eradicate ants, they are a perennial problem, I suppose ultimately ant poison is really the only effective way ...but even then their nests tend to spread out so much. Somehow you need to get rid of the grubs don't you?, so uncover the main nest? I had a friend who built her house on some kind of nest and had massive problems with them in her kitchen...eventually they moved out.....

glad the new gf is successful Georgy, its always such a worry that they have nice partners isn't it.......

off to plan the kitchen work.......wish me luck!!!
    Forum Member
    its getting quiet around here..what is everyone doing?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this georgy - it sounds easier - but how thick a layer do you have for the crumble part?

about a inch thick and i used a 8 inch circular dish
    hope this helps :D
    Forum Member
    i love all the talk about apple crumble and going blackberry picking, that's something I haven't done for years.;-D

The kitchen is semi usable, its complicated, as my OH is mainly doing it himself, at weekends, its a kind of one step forwards two steps back kind of thing. 2 third of the kitchen is now plastered, but we still need to take one wall out which contains the sink!! to finish the plastering. We have started tiling the floor today, so some units can start to be put back, but the whole thing is going to take weeks to complete......

That is my next job, to actually write out our plan for the next few weekends. it isn't helped by the fact that we have a couple of busy weekends coming up , one of which is my mums 80th, and I volunteered to have a family party at my house that weekend, cos despite me trying to persuade her to go away somewhere for a weekend, she has just spent so long being indecisive, we had to make a decision, but its going to be interesting as my kitchen is still going to be in chaos. !! I will have an oven and a microwave, and a sink in the utility room that weekend!! I think its going to have to be either jacket potatoes and salad kind of meal, or a takeaway!!

I have no idea how to eradicate ants, they are a perennial problem, I suppose ultimately ant poison is really the only effective way ...but even then their nests tend to spread out so much. Somehow you need to get rid of the grubs don't you?, so uncover the main nest? I had a friend who built her house on some kind of nest and had massive problems with them in her kitchen...eventually they moved out.....

glad the new gf is successful Georgy, its always such a worry that they have nice partners isn't it.......

off to plan the kitchen work.......wish me luck!!!

i,m starting to think, we had very similar childhoods Augusta :D

loved blackberry picking when i was young, mum would make lots of jam :D

as for the girlfriend i have still only meet her the once, but she sending puddings,
    so i,m saying thats a result :D

good luck with the party, its sounds like you might need it with your kitchen only half way done. Hope other people are going to help with the food and its not all left up to you.

Good luck with your lesson plans, i have quite a few teacher friends, and they are all doing the same and one spent the weekend setting up her lab ready for start of term :D
    Forum Member
    its getting quiet around here..what is everyone doing?

not much, but it still feel like i,m running around trying to catch my tail,
    ( well if i had one that is ) :D
    Forum Member
    Morning all

You are very brave augusta to have a party. Hope you aren't going to cook too much. My sister-in-law had a similar problem so she went to M&S and Waitrose and they did everything - all she had to do was wash up. Take the stress out of it and buy in what you need. I have used Waitrose for things like poached salmon and some really nice canapes. Really saves on the washing up etc.

Quiet day today - have to tackle the washing of the windows downstairs. Another job I hate - and of course ironing etc. Must also clean the loos. The joys of housework!

Take care all and have a good day.