Options

Giving up smoking

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are there many ex smokers here or perhaps you know of somebody who gave up smoking?

Just wondering how this was achieved: e-cigs, arm patches, tablets or whatever?

(P.S. I gave up the real thing 6 days ago myself. On an e-cig plus tabs slowly reducing as I go along with aim of total cessation soon - wish me luck!)

Comments

• Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    dont go into shops and buy them simple
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a very helpful response there. You're obviously a non smoker.

I was asking for opinions from the ex smoker's point of view, thinking mostly about the withdrawal symptoms, how did they cope?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I gave up with ecigs 4 months ago

I use skycig.

they really help as I actually get to smoke - all other attempts have failed.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I gave them up in 2000 with Allen Carrs book and day seminar .I have not looked back since and never been as pleased about something . I am so thrilled I dont smoke now as it so anti social .I smoked back in the day when we smoked everywhere .On the planes , in trains, in cinemas in pubs etc .Now its no fun at all !!
    Go for it , treat your body to health .
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I just stopped completely one morning.I don't believe in all the "aids".You're just replacing one thing for another.I'm back on them now but not because I "had" to.I just really enjoy a cigarette.
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    I just bit the bullet and went cold turkey. It was hell, but after the first 24 hours each day got a little easier....and I constantly kept in my mind how much I was saving each day by not buying any.

I associated a cup of coffee with having a ciggie. I couldn't give up coffee but I changed where I drank it ie I'd take my cuppa outside - just a slight change in a pattern to get me away from thinking cuppa = ciggie time.

I had terrible food cravings in the first few weeks, so started buying seedless grapes to scoff my face with, rather than succumbing to chocolate or more savoury snacks.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    I just stopped completely one morning.I don't believe in all the "aids".You're just replacing one thing for another.I'm back on them now but not because I "had" to.I just really enjoy a cigarette.

I agree with this...except I've never gone back. I did it cold turkey and just sipping water from a bottle. This also kept me out the fridge and stopped me putting on much weight. I did gain a bit but lost it all again by the end of the first year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago......cold turkey!:D

You have to want to give up smoking,really want to or you will fail.

NRTs will help with cravings(my OH used tabs) but to me the key is to know what your triggers are eg do you always have a ciggie after dinner and to do something to combat those times.

I made myself busy at those trigger times,polished a table,sweep a floor etc etc do something with your hands to take your mind off it until the craving goes away.As time goes by the cravings become less frequent and last for shorter periods of time until you get to the stage where you have to think on when you last had a craving(if that makes sense!)

You know you can do it and I wish you the very best of luck :)
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up after many years of smoking between 40-60 a day.

I had made the attempt to give up using several different methods, but eventually found one (I had to go into hospital and so give up for about a week and when I came out I just shrugged my shoulders and thought 'used to but I have given up').

My best previous attempt was a success for a month, when I decided to allow myself two per day. I kept it up for a couple of months but when I asked a doctor about it he said that it did not work and I must either stop completely or just smoke normally, so I started again.

He was an idiot. The truth about an addiction is that we must each find the method of dealing with it that works for us, and if a method works, that is the right one.

A chap I play poker with had been on patches and gum for well over two years, but recently has come off them and says he is OK now.

I have not had a cig for 12 years but I still sometimes dream that I have started again - I don't think it will ever go away, I am still an addict but I won't smoke again.
  • Options
    user186user186 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Everyone i know who gave up did it with alan carrs book!
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Podling wrote: »
    I gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago......cold turkey!:D

You have to want to give up smoking,really want to or you will fail.NRTs will help with cravings(my OH used tabs) but to me the key is to know what your triggers are eg do you always have a ciggie after dinner and to do something to combat those times.

I made myself busy at those trigger times,polished a table,sweep a floor etc etc do something with your hands to take your mind off it until the craving goes away.As time goes by the cravings become less frequent and last for shorter periods of time until you get to the stage where you have to think on when you last had a craving(if that makes sense!)

You know you can do it and I wish you the very best of luck :)

I have to say I didnt want to give up really - I did as OH was giving up and I wanted to support him, there was no great desire on my part (though I feel a lot healthier I have to say)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a smoker for 15 years (10 a day, double that if I was at the pub :o)

Don't view it as "giving up" that implies you are missing out on something - you are not!

OP, start to look at it as stopping smoking

I am an Allen Carr success story. I read his book in one sitting on 8th May 2011 and I've never had another smoke.

I've never had any cravings, any wobbles or any moments of feeling crabby / moody. I just stopped....

Something in my mind just clicked and that was it.

It did take me 18 months to actually get round to reading the book but seriously that man knew his shit.

Read it.... today :)
  • Options
    little dilbertlittle dilbert Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Gave up four months to the day.

The first month was the hardest, when I was past this stage I found that I stopped thinking about smoking. Went 'cold turkey' for the first three weeks, then I realised the cravings were still there so I would take a boiled sweet when the urge came which certainly helped. I did buy a pack of nicotine gum for emergencies, which I only used twice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used patches and gum for a week. You just gotta hold on , it gets easier day by day. Been stopped a year now , used to smoke 30 Superkings a day :D
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up nine years ago. My tips:

Give up at a time when you know that you're going to be stress free for a few weeks e.g. during your holidays.

Avoid activities that you usually do whilst smoking e.g drinking cups of tea, going on the internet.

Whenever you feel the urge for a smoke eat a bag of crisps instead.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quit over 7 years ago and I never ever crave or think about smoking until I read a thread like this. It doesn't make me want to smoke by the way but it DOES make me realise how great it is to be a non-smoker and what a fool I was for smoking all those years.

I used patches and an inhalator (via NHS) and you are weaned off nicotine so gently that I would recommend this method to anyone. I finished the full course of patches (which was a couple of months I believe) but used the inhalator a little while longer. Usually with no cartridges in it, I just needed something to fiddle with.

I feel much better, everything about me is better - hair, skin, teeth, sleeping and I am much more relaxed. I am lighter now than I was 10 years ago and very much fitter.

Best of luck. You won't regret it.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    I gave up for over a year with no chemical aids or books, though I'm back on them now after having a very stressful time at my old job. I really should quit again, TBH.

The approach I took was not to tell anyone that I was quitting, so I wouldn't worry that if I failed my friends and family would be disappointed in me. The last thing you need when giving up is stress/worry!

I didn't go out drinking for a bit as it's so tempting to have a **** after you've had a couple of drinks, especially if your mates are all outside puffing away.

Also I know this bit'll sound weird, but I didn't tell myself I was never going to smoke again, I just told myself I wasn't going to smoke "today" as it feels less huge. Then the next day, you tell yourself you're not going to smoke on that day either and so on and so on. And if you do have a ciggy, you've only failed at not smoking on that day, the challenge of not smoking tomorrow is completely separate, so you can still succeed at that!

Best of luck! :)
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get the Allen Carr book and read it. It may or may not work, but it will give you a good understanding of why you are smoking.

If it doesn't work, get some e-cigs. you may or may not quit while on them, but your health and finance wont be ruined.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I have tried patches and gum in the past, lasted 3 months then started again.

Bought an electronic cigarette 4 months ago, not as an aid to give up as that is not their design, just thought it would be healthier, not touched it in 2 months.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Don't do what my Mum did and buy a pack 'just in case' you get really stressed :rolleyes: And then get angry at your family when they snap them and put them in the bin!
  • Options
    Maureen_HayesMaureen_Hayes Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I gave up cold turkey after having been admitted to hospital at the end of 2010 with pneumonia - I felt dreadful but when the doctor told me I had COPD my stomach literally turned over there and then - it frightened me so much I told my husband to throw away anything to do with smoking so I came back to a "smoke free" house - I was in bed for another fortnight after coming out of hospital so I really think the withdrawal symptoms came and went with the symptoms of my illness - I went back for a checkup six weeks later and after a few tests the doctor told me I did not have COPD but just an infection causing pneumonia - from the day the doctor mentioned COPD I have not smoked since and nor have I had any craving to do so so am very happy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow ! Could the doctor have said that to scare you into quitting ? It seems it worked !
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

this worked for me.

edit: no withdrawal, slight cravings, no moodiness.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what my dad did at age 45. Never smoked since. He told me he stopped because he finally wanted to. Previously he tried to stop because he felt he ought to but didn't really want to.

So I guess the basic answer is that you have to want to stop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The aides do not help because they play with your brain , the only way to stop is stop simple, tell yourself and others you dont smoke and try to avoid tempting situations, days turn into weeks then months then you are on your way.