How to stop hair dye fading

RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm a natural blonde and whenever I dye my hair dark brown it always fades out to a medium brown colour within a week. I've tried using different brands and getting it done at the hairdressers but no matter what it still fades out within a week.

I use shampoo for colour treated hair, only wash my hair every couple of days and always make sure I dye my hair when it hasn't been washed in 24 hours but none of this helps. I've heard that washing hair in cold water can help stop fading even though I don't fancy doing that I'm willing to give it a try if nothing else works.

I know lots of other people, including other natural blondes, who dye their hair dark brown or black and theirs never seems to fade, at least nowhere near as fast as mine. Like I said the darkest mine stays at is medium brown. Is there some kind of secret I don't know or do they just dye their hair every week or so to stop it fading? That doesn't sound very good for your hair (or your bank account).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sun will fade it, you might notice it takes longer to fade when Autumn/Winter kicks in?

I've been colouring my hair since I was 12/13, so for 18/19 years, mine fades fairly quickly but not over a week I don't think.

When you get the colour put on is your hair very clean already? It seems to work best for me when my hair isn't clean, as it seems to give the colour something to grab onto.

Maybe speak to your hairdresser and ask if they have any ideas?

Also, for a short term fix, try washing your hair with a toner thingy maybe once a week/fortnight, it might help extend it a bit longer?
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a dark brown colourant contains less peroxide than a blonde one, so the effect is less strong and prone to fade more quickly ? You don't hear of many blondes dyeing their hair dark, more the other way around so I would ask the hairdresser for her opinion.