Child Tax Credit overpayment advice?

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
My mum has received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs informing her that she owes them £2200 due to an overpayment of Child Tax Credit which you can't get when your child (Me) moves on to further education etc but my mum informed them that I was going to college and yet they still sent a letter informing that we were entitled to the benefit until 18. This appears to have been due to an error on their end and they confirmed there was an error on the phone so why should that be are problem. They gave us the money and told us that we were entitled but now they want it back. Why should she be made to pay back 2 grand when it wasn't us that screwed up. The letter gives no mention of any way to appeal so I was wondering where this would stand from a legal perspective?

I am writing on my mums behalf because she does not use the internet.

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah the old "You owe us because we're the ones who fcuked up...again" routine. Yep, they're good for that the old HMRC.

For some inexplicable reason, they base everything in the past. 12 Months in the past, even though you tell them immediately of circumstances being changed....they still send you money!

Then whinge asking for it back, like it's your fault!

You'll have to pay them, I'm afraid. This is the HMRC, they never do wrong.

Good luck with this.
  • Camella_ThompsoCamella_Thompso Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I had this problem. Your mum can write a letter to appeal have a look on the HRMC website they give further information. If the appeal fails however then you only have to pay back as much as you can afford such as £5 a month or if she is claiming credits then the amount will be taken off future awards.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I have tried to convince my mum to appeal because she doesn't have alot of money but she doesn't want to appeal and has accepted that she will have to pay it. So nothing more I can do about that now.
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    I have tried to convince my mum to appeal because she doesn't have alot of money but she doesn't want to appeal and has accepted that she will have to pay it. So nothing more I can do about that now.

Yup same thing happened to me - unfortunately there is no 'get out of jail card' you will have to pay in back - I can't remember the finer details - it was about 6 yrs ago now, but I do recall them setting up a direct debit and me paying an agreed amount each month until the overpayment had been repaid.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had a letter saying we owe £2600 due to over payments 6 years ago, I'm paying £10 a month to them. If you don't make some sort of agreement they'll just take what they want out of your pay.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - I don't get why they're taking it back. You can get CB for children aged 20 and below and going to college - unless you were doing a course at a level higher than they allow??
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm terrified of Tax Credits. I was unemployed for two and half years. In the first year of my unemployment, when I needed the money, they based it on my previous years income which was a good wage, so we got nothing. Now I am back at work, and we have answered all the questions on the forms correctly and given them all the evidence of my new salary, we are getting the money based on me not working last year. They even told me on the phone that this is correct but I just don't trust them.

Its horrible when you cant trust a government department that can seriously affect your life. Even their paperwork makes very little sense and isn't at all user friendly!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    OP - I don't get why they're taking it back. You can get CB for children aged 20 and below and going to college - unless you were doing a course at a level higher than they allow??

Indeed, I claimed for both of my eldest boys until the age of 20 while they were in full time education.
    I would query it.

Was she claiming child benefit until you were 18 as well?
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I'm terrified of Tax Credits. I was unemployed for two and half years. In the first year of my unemployment, when I needed the money, they based it on my previous years income which was a good wage, so we got nothing. Now I am back at work, and we have answered all the questions on the forms correctly and given them all the evidence of my new salary, we are getting the money based on me not working last year. They even told me on the phone that this is correct but I just don't trust them.

Its horrible when you cant trust a government department that can seriously affect your life. Even their paperwork makes very little sense and isn't at all user friendly!

And next year they'll tell you they've overpaid because you earned too much this year. You just can't win!

Basing figures on 12 months in the past s totally insane.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things OP - if you were in FE not HE then she was entitled to Child tax Credits. Secondly, if your mother gave HMRC the correct information and it was their mistake, you might be able to challenge the repayment. Could you get her to go to Citizens Advice? They deal with this kind of thing all the time and would be able to clarify what's happened and whether she can challenge it.