Options

Casting Rant

MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
Forum Member
✭✭
I can only refer to EastEnders in this rant as I don't watch any other soap...

I am sick and tired of people slating actors for not being able to act - for example, Khali Best (Dexter), Himesh Patel (Tamwar), Matt Di Angelo (Dean).

Has it ever crossed people's minds that they are playing the parts AS THEY ARE MEANT TO?!?!?! AS THEY ARE DIRECTED?!?!?!? AS THEY WERE WRITTEN?!?!?!?

For example;

- people seem to think that the actor who plays Tamwar is "wooden". To me, he is playing Tamwar as a rather stiff, awkward man. I used to work with a guy who was almost identical to Tamwar in his mannerisms so I think Himesh is doing a fine job.

- Khali is/was (not sure if he's actually coming back?) playing Dexter as a cheeky, loud, confident lad - again, I know plenty of people like him.

- Dean is supposed to be a bit creepy, a bit of a slimeball and unpredictable. Personally I think Matt has got that down to a T!

If all the characters were played in the same way, it would be boring and unrealistic (I know soap's aren't real - I'm just making a point) we all have different personalities - some of us are awkward, some of us are annoying, some of us are creepy...

Just because you don't like a character, doesn't mean the actor is doing it badly.

Rant over.

:D

Comments

• Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all of them you mentioned the only one I disagree with is Dexter aka Kali Best, his imo a poor actor and the character ain't much better.

Dean/Matt Di Angelo I don't have no problem with I think his improved since his last stint but would like to see his darker character explored further.

Tamwar, I don't have a problem with the acting but I do find his character rather boring.

At the end of the day you just have to accept people are going to have there opinions on actors and their acting not everyone is going to like it or think there great as much as you want to tell people their wrong.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree to an extent but there have been a few really awful actors in EastEnders who simply cannot act convincingly as either a normal person, a psychotic person, a lothario, an eccentric person or anything else. Lorna Fitzgerald who plays Abi Branninig clearly can't act and I'd like to be pointed to one performance where it isn't a case of "Girl Acts" and is actually believable in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Di Angelo is awful. Someone said it best on here. He was axed from EE in the first place for being crap. The only reason he managed not to fade away was because he then won Strictly. He owes his career to that show. He would have been long forgotten otherwise.

Matt looks awkward in scenes he shouldn't, weird scenes like when he was with Lauren in the Vic where he was giggling to himself, or scenes like the other day with Lola where he was making strange lip movements. He looks uncomfortable when acting. If thats the intention he is doing a great job but some how I think its not on purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that people are obviously going to have their opinion, but some people are far too quick to say "he/she is a bad actor" without considering whether it is the character that they simply don't like/find annoying etc.

P.S Does anyone know if Dexter is coming back at all? It would be interesting to have him suddenly arrive back from wherever he is supposed to be, to find a prostitute aunt living with his gran...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Di Angelo is awful. Someone said it best on here. He was axed from EE in the first place for being crap. The only reason he managed not to fade away was because he then won Strictly. He owes his career to that show. He would have been long forgotten otherwise.

Matt looks awkward in scenes he shouldn't, weird scenes like when he was with Lauren in the Vic where he was giggling to himself, or scenes like the other day with Lola where he was making strange lip movements. He looks uncomfortable when acting. If thats the intention he is doing a great job but some how I think its not on purpose.

Surely the director wouldn't have used those shots if he was acting so strangely and it wasn't part of "Dean"? Any director worth his/her salt would have stopped it and said "Er, Matt? Are you OK, hun?" and asked him to stop giggling/wriggling/smirking or whatever weirdness he was doing.

I'm not saying that it was 100% part of Dean's character, but if the director thought it was odd, they would have changed it.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's acting ability gets criticised on here. No matter who they are, everyone gets it - just some more than others. If you'd believe this forum, each soap maybe has about four or five moderately ok actors each.

This place is full to the brim of armchair critics, each with less expertise on the subject than the last. Trick is to ignore the moans and groans and just discuss the actual show.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of the time it can be down to bad writing. But there are a few people in soaps who should not be allowed to put Actor as their job title and it baffles me as to why they chose that career path and how they've achieved any success. Khali Best is appalling - completely wooden. But he looks like Laurence Olivier when you compare him to some of the dross polluting the cobbles in Corrie - Sean Tully and Sophie Webster leap to mind! Of course a lot of this is subjective, but sometimes the lack of ability is just screamingly obvious. I can't bear Mary on Corrie but don't think it is the actor's fault - she's just a terrible character with terrible scripts.

Apologies for going off on a Corrie tangent, I know you don't watch it OP!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Khali Best is a terrible actor...
    Matt Di Angelo comes across a bit stage school sometimes, but he was much better in Hustle so I assume the directors want him to deliver his lines like that :confused:
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    I can only refer to EastEnders in this rant as I don't watch any other soap...

I am sick and tired of people slating actors for not being able to act - for example, Khali Best (Dexter), Himesh Patel (Tamwar), Matt Di Angelo (Dean).

Has it ever crossed people's minds that they are playing the parts AS THEY ARE MEANT TO?!?!?! AS THEY ARE DIRECTED?!?!?!? AS THEY WERE WRITTEN?!?!?!?

For example;

- people seem to think that the actor who plays Tamwar is "wooden". To me, he is playing Tamwar as a rather stiff, awkward man. I used to work with a guy who was almost identical to Tamwar in his mannerisms so I think Himesh is doing a fine job.

- Khali is/was (not sure if he's actually coming back?) playing Dexter as a cheeky, loud, confident lad - again, I know plenty of people like him.

- Dean is supposed to be a bit creepy, a bit of a slimeball and unpredictable. Personally I think Matt has got that down to a T!

If all the characters were played in the same way, it would be boring and unrealistic (I know soap's aren't real - I'm just making a point) we all have different personalities - some of us are awkward, some of us are annoying, some of us are creepy...

Just because you don't like a character, doesn't mean the actor is doing it badly.

Rant over.

:D

Well said.