Options

Is there a compelling case to buy a next gen console yet?

Ed_PhelanEd_Phelan Posts: 90
Forum Member
I'll be honest, I've held off getting a PS4 because I can't see there are enough games to keep me interested just yet. But at the same time, I've not really been keeping up that much of late. Surely by now the library must be building up somewhat.

Have either of the new machines got any killer apps yet? Anything that makes owning a PS4 or XB1 a necessity?

Frankly, it's a lot of money and I'm still getting good use out of my PS3. However, I am starting to itch for something new.

And if the time is not now, how long will it be before there is no excuse NOT to have a next gen console?

Comments

• Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Ed_Phelan wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I've held off getting a PS4 because I can't see there are enough games to keep me interested just yet. But at the same time, I've not really been keeping up that much of late. Surely by now the library must be building up somewhat.

Have either of the new machines got any killer apps yet? Anything that makes owning a PS4 or XB1 a necessity?

Frankly, it's a lot of money and I'm still getting good use out of my PS3. However, I am starting to itch for something new.

And if the time is not now, how long will it be before there is no excuse NOT to have a next gen console?

...there is no such thing as a 'killer app'!! How many gadgets that are around today have 'a killer app' - none!

No gaming console (or any gadget for that matter) is a 'necessity'.

Pure and simple - if you have the money, go get one! ;-)
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    To be honest I regret getting a PS4 at launch. It just sits there collecting dust - nothing has come out that is making me love my purchase. The graphics are an obvious step up but to be honest I wish I waited to 2015 for some more games to arrive.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had waited to get one to be honest, but I got caught up in the excitement. I don't think there's anything to justify getting a current console as yet in my opinion, but I decided to keep it as now I'll have one for when the games do come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...there is no such thing as a 'killer app'!! How many gadgets that are around today have 'a killer app' - none!

No gaming console (or any gadget for that matter) is a 'necessity'.

Pure and simple - if you have the money, go get one! ;-)

All right so necessity may have been an exaggeration, but what about Halo for the original Xbox? That was a reason alone to buy one. And similarly I'd argue that Final Fantasy VII was by itself justification to buy a PlayStation.

I know we've already got a few exclusives for each of the PS4 and XB1, but as far as I can tell, none of them make buying either machine a must.

Is there anything in the pipeline that's likely to change things?
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS THREAD WILL NOT TURN INTO ANOTHER CONSOLE WAR :cool:

Both X1 & PS4 are only now becoming the machines they should be. Still waiting on a few apps and features for both but they're not too far off.

There are a lot of new games coming from now until February. Not sure how many are cross-gen but my October and November are filled with new purchases. If you wait a bit longer there may be a good bundle or price drop pre-Xmas.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Destiny?
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Games wise, there's a lot starting to come out now. There's loads between now and Xmas and 2015 has a buttload coming out.

That goes for either console.

Most importantly, do you want one? Can you afford it ? If so, go for it !
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Destiny?
    Got no interest in Destiny but I guess plenty are looking forward to that game.

It''s also on last gen consoles too, so maybe people might not feel the need to upgrade for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pre-order list so far. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Metro Redux - 29th Aug (X1 & PS4)
    Forza Horizon 2 - 3rd Oct (Xbox cross-gen)
    Alien Isolation - 7th Oct (cross-gen, multi-plat)
    Drive Club - 10th Oct (PS4)
    Borderlands: Pre-sequel - 17th Oct (PS3 & 360)
    The Evil Within - 17th Oct (cross-gen, multi plat)
    Assassins Creed: Unity - 13th Nov (X1, PS4)
    Sunset Overdrive - 31st Oct (X1)
    Assassins Creed: Rogue - 13th Nov (PS3 & 360)
    HALO: MC Coll - 14th Nov (X1)
    Far Cry 4 - 18th Nov (cross0gen, multi plat)
    Dragon Age: Inquisition - 21st Nov (cross-gen, multi plat)

As I've said in other threads, any cross-gens will be bought on either X1 or PS4. Final decisions on multi plats will be made closer to release dates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DangerClose, can I have some of your money ?

I think you have way too much :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    DangerClose, can I have some of your money ?

I think you have way too much :D

:D

Just got told today I got a promotion. Even more income with the same outgoings.:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't know there was a new Borderlands, that's of interest to me.

As for Far Cry, I enjoyed the 3rd for a while but it soon got boring. Would I be interested enough in the 4th installment?

I suppose also I've a sense of malaise having been so excited in the past about games that have been really built up and then they've just been a bit of a let down when they've come out.

I'm looking at YOU Watchdogs.

Where is the next truly salivating prospect coming from?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just got told today I got a promotion. Even more income with the same outgoings.:D:D:D

Oh congrats. We'll done :)

As for Far Cry, I enjoyed the 3rd for a while but it soon got boring. Would I be interested enough in the 4th installment?

I suppose also I've a sense of malaise having been so excited in the past about games that have been really built up and then they've just been a bit of a let down when they've come out.

Destiny ! But that doesn't interest you.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen, an extensive stream of releases will not be happening until at least 2015. I was planning to buy a PS4 at Christmas, but i'm now going to put that off until summer 2015. As my current console is catering to all my needs at present.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting my PS4 this Christmas ready for all the games coming out next year. There's enough coming out on the Wii U and a big enough collection on my PS3 to keep me busy until then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Out of my list.
    Alien Isolation looks really good and is the one I'm most looking forward to (well, except Borderlands). A survival horror in the Alien universe. From what I've seen it looks like it could be brilliant as long as they don't ruin it like A:CM.

The franchise games are just that. But still looking forward to them.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member

Well done. Give me the extra income, you don't lose out and I make more.

Win Win:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done. Give me the extra income, you don't lose out and I make more.

Win Win:)

Wish I could, but I have an expensive habit... Obviously.

Gets even better. As it's 1st of the month on Monday they've fast tracked it so I start getting my new rate immediately. Only downside is I have to wait for the 15th for pay day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Destiny ! But that doesn't interest you.

Actually, and this is going to make me sound like a right n00b, I don't know an awful lot about Destiny other than everyone's talking about it.

I have to confess when I first heard about it I actually confused it with Journey, and couldn't understand why people were still banging on about it. Obviously I know better now, but I still haven't spent any time looking into it. Perhaps time for a spot of Googling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, and this is going to make me sound like a right n00b, I don't know an awful lot about Destiny other than everyone's talking about it.

I have to confess when I first heard about it I actually confused it with Journey, and couldn't understand why people were still banging on about it. Obviously I know better now, but I still haven't spent any time looking into it. Perhaps time for a spot of Googling

It's from Bungie the makers of the original Halo trilogy. Played the beta on PS4. Halo's influence could be felt in the styling and music. But it's by no means a copy. I admit I wasn't fully convinced by the beta after being hyped for the best part of a couple of years.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    I think it really depends on what you want & what you expect.

I brought a PS4 in January & don't regret buying it when I did, It gets used fairly often & there are a dozen games out (Retail, PSN & Indie) which in my view have fully justified the purchase.

Having been through a few console generations by now I was fully expecting the 1st year or so to be a bit slow in terms of the big releases, Its how its always been so the relative lack of the big AAA releases is no surprise or concern to me.

Additionally although people tend to be more down on some of the Indie games or the other smaller PSN titles, I've actually found some of those to be some of the best games i've played over the past few years. Yes they don't show off what the PS4 can do technically but there fun & have kept me going back to my PS4 as an addition to the big retail releases which have come out.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I can't stand my ps3 now that I have a ps4. I only use it just now for now tv just to save extra wear and tear on my ps4. Ps3 menus, store, the lot are so slow in comparison. My only disappointment has been with ps+

I play bf4 which is night and day to ps3 version. Play pure pool and plants v zombies. I feel there are lots of games out, only held back by I cant blow too much of income on gaming.
    Only buy though if you're sure youll play some of the games out. Ours is used every single day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had waited to buy a ps4 too. I don't often use it. I also have an xbox one which I prefer to be honest. That said I still could've waited before upgrading either.
  • Options
    Forum Member

YouTube it. :)

Depending on what console you're thinking of going for, but Playstation Blog is an excellent place to get new and videos. I assume Xbox has an equivalent.
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    console sellers will be Uncharted 4 and Halo 5. Those 2 games will have 'more' gamer's moving onto 'this gen'. I don't regret getting a PS4 but I do wish I'd waited longer, until more games were available for it.