Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Maybe a dentist?
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were invited to Jane Russell's 80th birthday party (she died last year at 89).

It was a surprise birthday party in Santa Maria, where she lived, put on by her children. They told her they were taking her out to dinner. It was 200 miles from Los Angeles, so of course we had to stay overnight in a hotel, but Santa Maria is remote and lovely and green--it has the added advantage of being more affordable than L.A. or Santa Barbara, though some just like the remote, unspoiled feel--and the turn-of-the-century decor in the hotel was so charming we vowed to return. Jane had sold her multimillion-dollar Montecito estate near Santa Barbara several years earlier in order to move closer to her children and grandchildren.

The Mayor of Santa Maria told us how he and Jane would often take their garbage cans out to the curb in their pajamas at the same time. A visitor came to her house and was amazed she didn't have a single picture or painting of herself anywhere in the house. That's Jane: Simple, no-nonsense, direct.

Now Jane was not in the best of health and it was difficult for her to stand as long as she did throughout the evening. And let's face it, a surprise party is not necessarily the most fun thing in the world if you are not feeling up to it. The crowd wasn't too large, maybe 150-200 people, but she made sure to greet each person individually and take photos with couples or groups. Everybody got at least one photo with her.

She was a bit grumpy at points throughout the evening. However, the video they showed of the highlights of her life and career left no doubt what an amazing and wonderful woman she was. She worked hard to place orphans with loving families, and walked the walk by adopting a number of children herself. (One of those now-grown adopted children behaved badly at the party, showing him to be the life-long challenge he probably was for her family.)

We met Ann-Margret and her husband Roger Smith at Ann-Margret's book signing at a Hollywood bookstore. They were both down to earth and full of compliments. "Are you a model? Where do you live?" Ann is known for being a sweetheart so that was not a big surprise. She is also very, very private and it's rare to even get a glimpse of her. Roger protects her like a hawk and they are devoted to one another.

I will not name another celebrity who poured on the charm the several times we met--and you thought gorgeous women couldn't act--because it's not representative of who she is. She is a cold, calculating, money-hungry female who used unscrupulous attorneys to destroy reputations, livelihoods, even lives (and I wish that last part were an exaggeration; it is not) to gain money and/or bury her scandalous past. But hearing her soft, flattering words and looking into those big blue eyes, you'd swear butter wouldn't melt. Anyway, she was lovely one on one but you won't hear it from me.

Oh, also met Miss Violet Eyes herself, Elizabeth Taylor, at a private lunch at Robinson's Department Store when she launched her first perfume, White Diamonds. She had just returned from her honeymoon and was looking gorgeous, though we heard her back hurt. She was so thoughtful of others that I recall her asking her assistant-for-the-day to be sure she took back a sweater as a gift for I think her daughter.

As with Miss Russell, everyone got photos with Elizabeth, perhaps not individually (though I did) but at least at their table. They mailed us all 8x10s. Anyway, Elizabeth was lovely company and think I'll pick up another flacon of White Diamonds in her honor.

Heartwarming stories, thanks for sharing.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When out with one of my mates at World Snooker in Sheffield we met the guy named Ray who did the commentary - surname escapes me for now - in a bar near the Crucible and he was very chatty and interesting.

Met Lynda Bellingham in a restaurant when I was with my girlfriend and she was really nice.

Saw Whitney Houston at a petrol station yonks back in Sheffield too with some guy, not Bobby Brown though, must have been the, ahem, bodyguard. She was at the Arena.

I saw Gary Speed in an Indian in Sheffield and that was one time I was v.glad I did not have my girlfriend with me. :rolleyes:
  • the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw Gary Speed in an Indian in Sheffield and that was one time I was v.glad I did not have my girlfriend with me. :rolleyes:

Why :confused: ?
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Why :confused: ?

Im assuming she thought he was attractive- although id like to think she'd have managed to restrain herself!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Harv and Phoo my gf was and still is bloody besotted with Gary Speed.

I hope you weren't jumping to alternative conclusions? :rolleyes::D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That my family (not always me have met)
    Nice:

Sean Bean
    Timothy Spall
    Another vote for Terry Pratchett
    James Nesbitt
    Mark Addy
    Man from The Bill whose name I dunno but he used to be in the trailers a lot
    Brian Blessed (according to a friend who was in summat with him)
    Tim Bentinck (Plays David Archer on the radio, but my husband was an extra in a TV series with him - said he was a lovely bloke)
    Bob Hoskins - according to my ex who met him at a well known writer's party
    Ah nearly forgot Jimmy Paige who once spent a whole evening with us - I wasn't starstruck as I'd never heard of him but he was a lovely bloke, and very 'normal'

Not Good
    Diana Dorrs (I love her acting in those 50s British film noirs, but my dad was her accompaniest in the 70s, when she did her club act and he was very rude about her)
    Freddie 'Parrot Face' Davis (you have to remember the 60s/70s to know who he is!)
    Ross Kemp, according to my ex who met him at an audition once
    And, talking of The Archers, the one who plays Lizzie. I was on the London-Bham train on the next table to her (recognised her as she'd been in a 1980s TV adaptation of a Jane Austen) and she was so far up herself, and talking loudly on her mobile about how great she was, the entire journey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot about Sean Bean, seen him around a lot, he still stays in touch with my gf's friend's brother (sounds like Chris Evans Top Tenuous here). My o/h originates from Sheffield.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who knows Daniel Craig. He is apparently another down-to-earth, and decent bloke. (Forgot that one).
  • the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Not Good
    Diana Dorrs (I love her acting in those 50s British film noirs, but my dad was her accompaniest in the 70s, when she did her club act and he was very rude about her)
    Freddie 'Parrot Face' Davis (you have to remember the 60s/70s to know who he is!)
    Ross Kemp, according to my ex who met him at an audition once
    And, talking of The Archers, the one who plays Lizzie. I was on the London-Bham train on the next table to her (recognised her as she'd been in a 1980s TV adaptation of a Jane Austen) and she was so far up herself, and talking loudly on her mobile about how great she was, the entire journey.

My nana and her friends met Ross Kemp and a few other Eastenders people yonks ago when Eastenders went on location to Spain. They had a right laugh with them and said they couldn't have been nicer :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    A church is NOT a place to ask for an autograph!

Its supposed to be sacred! Who knows whether Piers Brosnan is religious or not. Its not a public place like a restaurant or shop & Im surprised people cant understand the difference. If I was in a church & someone asked me to sign something I'd tell them where to go...

I agree. I'd have simply told her to wait until I was finished. People are different though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    My nana and her friends met Ross Kemp and a few other Eastenders people yonks ago when Eastenders went on location to Spain. They had a right laugh with them and said they couldn't have been nicer :)

Ex said nice things about the (now) late, great Pat Butcher and also liked Anita Dobson. Ross was the only one he was rude about from EE. But that was before Ross was in EE - some job or other they both went up for. He was rude about Jude Law, but liked Marianne Faithful...:D Was a friend of Nick Berry and the original Mark Fowler, but didn't like Tucker Jenkins much.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Met Zac Efron in a hotel lift in Orlando. He was promoting 17 Again at the time. He posed for a photograph with my daughter and signed an autograph.
    Sat next to Eamonn Holmes on a flight to Belfast and he was really chatty - hadn't liked him before then but that trip changed my mind.
    Bumped into a man in Barneys in New York, turned to apologise and discovered it was Pierce Brosnan. I apologised and so did he. I was speechless but my 83 year old Dad who had no clue who he was chatted away to him while we queued to pay.
    Lewis Hamilton was horrible to my son and told him to go away when he asked for an autograph. We were in the BA Executive Lounge at the time so its not like he was somewhere private.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to make you aware, the drama teacher is a guy not a girl to all those referring to him as her :p
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,360
    Forum Member
    Pathetic!!

I was implying he was holding stuff he stole but if you think theft is a good thing then it says more about you than it does about me:mad:
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,360
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    A church is NOT a place to ask for an autograph!

Its supposed to be sacred! Who knows whether Piers Brosnan is religious or not. Its not a public place like a restaurant or shop & Im surprised people cant understand the difference. If I was in a church & someone asked me to sign something I'd tell them where to go...

It also could be to do with why he was praying, he may have been praying for someone who was seriously ill, had died or anything upsetting. To ask for his autograph there was rude and selfish.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Just to make you aware, the drama teacher is a guy not a girl to all those referring to him as her :p

Male, female, he's still very tactless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    Chrissy rock the receptionist off benidorm was very friendly and approachable we had a picture i told her my favourite line that she said on the show and she said what hers was, she was doing stand up comedy in a club in benidorm when i met her, she was hilarious
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    It also could be to do with why he was praying, he may have been praying for someone who was seriously ill, had died or anything upsetting. To ask for his autograph there was rude and selfish.

Well, his wife died a few years ago, so............
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped into John Hannah and his lovely doggie about a week ago. Both couldn't have been nicer.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Bumped into John Hannah and his lovely doggie about a week ago. Both couldn't have been nicer.

Gud fud
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When out with one of my mates at World Snooker in Sheffield we met the guy named Ray who did the commentary - surname escapes me for now - in a bar near the Crucible and he was very chatty and interesting.

That would probably be former BBC commentator and former World Amateur champion Ray Edmonds, who was dropped by the BBC as a commentator a few years back. He's a decent guy who is now retired, but still helps out at his son's club in Grimsby a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    sophloz wrote: »
    A friend of mine years back worked on an Adidas commercial which had David Beckham and Steven Gerrard. He said Steven Gerrard was 'one of the biggest tossers you'd ever met.' It was an outside shoot, bit miserable outside and cold, but Gerrard never once talked to the crew. Also during the day a bunch of kids were hanging by the fence, because of course they wanted a glimpse of Beckham and Gerrard. Gerrard wouldn't even acknowledge them and straight after the shoot had finished he drove straight off.

Beckham on the other hand he said was absolutely lovely. Very down to earth and very friendly with the staff. Also the kids at the fence he talked to and stayed behind after the shoot for two hours to make sure every single one got an autograph,

aaaaah i love david beckham :D he really needs to marry me.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's no way to talk about Joanna Roth :D
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped into John Hannah and his lovely doggie
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Gud fud

Gud with poodle.