Options

iPlayer crashing on 7-day content on Linux NVIDIA netbook - but not Collections

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

Just seen the following...

Running Ubuntu 10.04, Firefox 11...

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and Firefox on a Lenovo Ideapad S12, with NVIDIA ION 1 chipset. Using full acceleration. While Youtube and Dailymotion plays happily (although searching within the video still causes it to crash/freeze).

Tried filing a bug via ubuntu-bug - but it came back that adobe-flashplugin was "nto a proper Ubuntu package". I accepted it via Update Manager.

However, when I go to BBC iPlayer, it crashes after playing out the ident (BBC iPlayer plays out an ident before chaining the programme..

Full text of the fault I've filed with the BBC.

"iPlayer client crashes after playing out ident, on attempting to load programme. Using Adobe Flash 11.2.202.233 with NVIDIA ION-equipped Lenovo Ideapad S12 running Ubuntu 10.04, Firefox 11."

"No issue with BBC short-form content from Archive or with Collection content, however, when playing out a 7-day iPlayer programme, it crashes on playing multipart material. Specifically, after playing the channel ident and on loading the actual programme.

Playback of Archive clips and long-form Collection content - no hassle whatsoever, as it starts the programme content immediately.

Suggest a possible quick-fix by jettisoning the ident playout before programme content - as you did for connected TVs... they go straight into the programme.

Tested with BBC News 24 - The Reporters - crashed after ident.
Tested with BBC3 content - crashed after ident.

Tested with BBC Archive - Broom Cupboard clip - played out happily.

Testing with The Paras from BBC4 Collection - playing out happily."

Probably behaves the same with 4OD and similar.

Anyone else noticed it?

Problem's been filed with the Beeb...

Comments

• Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke too soon - crashed on trying to play a second episode. Actually crashed hard enough for me to have to kill the plugin-container task to stop the audio running.

However, Google have no hassles coding their Youtube viewer....