Options

New Sky HD EPG Single Feed Mode Doesn't Work.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    CharlesC wrote: »
    I take your point, but I think that ProDave has answered it - you will now need to put your box in standby when you are not watching TV to let it download the EPG data.

When you compare the chances of leaving the box on, with the issues caused by the listings being unavailable (can't schedule a future recording) I think it fair to argue Sky should address this - even if they give us a refresh button to make it get the listings.

I could live with problems in the new EPG if there was some sort of priority system causing them - but there isn't.

1) Live TV is not the priority
    2) EPG listings are not the priority
    3) Recordings are not the priority.

Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    When you compare the chances of leaving the box on, with the issues caused by the listings being unavailable (can't schedule a future recording) I think it fair to argue Sky should address this - even if they give us a refresh button to make it get the listings.

I could live with problems in the new EPG if there was some sort of priority system causing them - but there isn't.

1) Live TV is not the priority
    2) EPG listings are not the priority
    3) Recordings are not the priority.

Chris

I must be missing something or not understanding what you are saying.

To me it seems as if Sky have addressed it - put the box into standby when you finish watching TV every night - then the problem should not happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must be missing something or not understanding what you are saying.

To me it seems as if Sky have addressed it - put the box into standby when you finish watching TV every night - then the problem should not happen.

And if I (or someone else) forgets? ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And if I (or someone else) forgets? ...

Turn the Auto Standby on just to make sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Turn the Auto Standby on just to make sure

Why does the system not search and download the listings when I browse to the part of the TV Guide and the listings are missing?

Turning off may be a workaround for this issue but causes other issues for me.

I hope this is on Sky's to do list!

Chris
  • Options
    Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earler, what is missing from Single feed mode, is a warning when recordings on a channel other than the one you are viewing are about to start, and auto channel change if you ignore the warning or have switched from standby. EPG problems on single feed with anytime enabled, or using the dummy record method maybe something you have to live with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why does the system not search and download the listings when I browse to the part of the TV Guide and the listings are missing?

Because the tuner is being used to display the mini-tv or at very least the sound. Changing this just for the single feed users may be a step to far for sky since they would argue that for 99.99% of users the auto standby will work.

to be honest - I doubt it.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Begs the question ,

Is there no way of getting a 2nd feed installed at all ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Begs the question ,

Is there no way of getting a 2nd feed installed at all ?

I don't know? I have only got one cable running under my floor. If that can be multiplexed, maybe?

Chris
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know? I have only got one cable running under my floor. If that can be multiplexed, maybe?

Chris

It was a question that only you can really answer based on your dish and house style :)

What is stopping you from getting a 2nd feed ?
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Turning off may be a workaround for this issue but causes other issues for me.

Chris

Because, as I tried to answer earlier, the single tuner available in single tuner mode is still busy displaying the tv picture, or just the programs audio if mini tv is turned off. The "normal" transponders only carry a few hours of EPG data.

The OLD EPG didn't have to do that as there was no mini tv, so when you went to the program guide in the old EPG, it switched over to the default transponer, which is the only one that carries the full EPG data, and loaded it on the fly.

The new EPG's single tuner mode relies on the box being in standby some of the time, then it goes and fetches the full EPG data and caches it to the HDD. If you never put the box in standby, that won't happen.

Likewise, for recording to work in single tuner mode, the box must be in standby.

I agree with you that a lot of compromises have to be made in single tuner mode, and I don't think they have always made the best choices.

My sugestions would be:

IF mini tv is turned off, then the EPG should behave as the old one and switch to the default tuner to load EPG data on the fly if it's not already cached.

If a recording is scheduled and the box is ON, then a warning banner should pop up, and the recording should proceed unless cancelled by the user.

Those 2 things would make the new single tuner mode a lot more workable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    Because, as I tried to answer earlier, the single tuner available in single tuner mode is still busy displaying the tv picture, or just the programs audio if mini tv is turned off. The "normal" transponders only carry a few hours of EPG data.

The OLD EPG didn't have to do that as there was no mini tv, so when you went to the program guide in the old EPG, it switched over to the default transponer, which is the only one that carries the full EPG data, and loaded it on the fly.

The new EPG's single tuner mode relies on the box being in standby some of the time, then it goes and fetches the full EPG data and caches it to the HDD. If you never put the box in standby, that won't happen.

Likewise, for recording to work in single tuner mode, the box must be in standby.

I agree with you that a lot of compromises have to be made in single tuner mode, and I don't think they have always made the best choices.

My sugestions would be:

IF mini tv is turned off, then the EPG should behave as the old one and switch to the default tuner to load EPG data on the fly if it's not already cached.

If a recording is scheduled and the box is ON, then a warning banner should pop up, and the recording should proceed unless cancelled by the user.

1) It only needs to load extra EPG data if the user goes into the TV guide and tries to view info that is within the 7 day limit and is not already cached. In this case it should be understandable to interrupt the mini tv.

Do you know how long I will need to leave my box in standby for it to go and pick up the listings? At least there should be a way to tell it to refresh.

This issue is probably going to affect a lot of other users. Most won't notice unless they check to see if they have the full 7 days.

2) Agree - plus...

3) If one changes channel during a recording it needs to offer to cancel the recording, not just change channel and show the no signal error.

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    My sugestions would be:

I know it does not concern me as I have 2 feeds and use the Mini-Tv but I agree on both - I might go as far to say that your first suggestion could be extended to those with Dual feeds (to avoid accidental "spoilers"). Though for a box that was designed around 2 tuners I do have some sympathy with the software development team trying to code around a problem like this (BTW I did say some !)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it does not concern me as I have 2 feeds and use the Mini-Tv but I agree on both - I might go as far to say that your first suggestion could be extended to those with Dual feeds (to avoid accidental "spoilers"). Though for a box that was designed around 2 tuners I do have some sympathy with the software development team trying to code around a problem like this (BTW I did say some !)

If tuner 2 is busy on a two feed system it works perfectly. Just set tuner 2 busy! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1) It only needs to load extra EPG data if the user goes into the TV guide and tries to view info that is within the 7 day limit and is not already cached. In this case it should be understandable to interrupt the mini tv.

Oh I can see the thread's now "Why did it not warn me it was going to stop the mini-tv - the misses is not happy with me!" - while I have some sympathy with your circomstances - I think ProDave's option is the best.

Do you know how long I will need to leave my box in standby for it to go and pick up the listings? At least there should be a way to tell it to refresh.

I think you will need to do some trial and error. As for the option to refresh - I suspect as far as sky are concerned it is not worth messing with the code for that when it can be achieved just by a power cycle of the box.

3) If one changes channel during a recording it needs to offer to cancel the recording, not just change channel and show the no signal error.
    Agreed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suspect as far as sky are concerned it is not worth messing with the code for that when it can be achieved just by a power cycle of the box.

That's a bit drastic, takes 10 minutes and can't be done without messing behind the box. If the standby button would do it that would be an improvement!

Will report back when I work out how long it needs....

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If tuner 2 is busy on a two feed system it works perfectly. Just set tuner 2 busy! :)

Normally a HD box does have access to one free tuner for about 80% of the time so it can download EPG data in that time - with your set-up (as gleaned from info in this thread) your box has no free tuner as you don't put it into standby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a bit drastic, takes 10 minutes and can't be done without messing behind the box. If the standby button would do it that would be an improvement!

It might be, but look at it from sky's point of view - how often will CS have cause to need to talk some one through this procedure - if it is not that often (which I suspect will be the case) then why spend time designing, implementing and testing something that the vast majority of customers won't have need for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Normally a HD box does have access to one free tuner for about 80% of the time so it can download EPG data in that time - with your set-up (as gleaned from info in this thread) your box has no free tuner as you don't put it into standby.

If Tv listings are on air, but are not in cache it should go get them.

Missing 60 seconds of mini tv is a better situation than being unable to set a recording.

As I say this could affect a lot of people when they look for listings on the seventh day that are not in cache.

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Tv listings are on air, but are not in cache it should go get them.

Missing 60 seconds of mini tv is a better situation than being unable to set a recording.

As I say this could affect a lot of people when they look for listings on the seventh day that are not in cache.

I don't believe it will effect as many as you think - but hay that's just my opinion.

All I can say is that prior to the New EPG, those wanting to run a HD box on a single feed had to jump through hoop's that were beyond most "normal" sky viewers.

With the New EPG (with the default settings) it should work for most if not all users. Where work is still needed is on the "Clash Management" (as both you and ProDave point out) so that recording do not fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't believe it will effect as many as you think - but hay that's just my opinion.

All I can say is that prior to the New EPG, those wanting to run a HD box on a single feed had to jump through hoop's that were beyond most "normal" sky viewers.

With the New EPG (with the default settings) it should work for most if not all users. Where work is still needed is on the "Clash Management" (as both you and ProDave point out) so that recording do not fail.

Prior to the new EPG I could get my 7 days of listings!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you can get the full EPG now, if you go for single feed mode, no anytime and no dummy recording. What you wont get is any on screen info about the recording or channel switch. you will have to wait for Sky to sort this, or get an additional feed from your dish or distrubution system
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you can get the full EPG now, if you go for single feed mode, no anytime and no dummy recording. What you wont get is any on screen info about the recording or channel switch. you will have to wait for Sky to sort this, or get an additional feed from your dish or distrubution system

Wrong. I meet all those conditions and if I go into my guide now I cannot see any later than 1AM Saturday morning.

Is it possible to get two LNB signals through one cable?

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not wrong, but you would have to do it overnight I think, you can get two sets of signals down one cable but it is expensive, I cant remember the name of the thing you use, but no doubt someone will
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its not wrong, but you would have to do it overnight I think, you can get two sets of signals down one cable but it is expensive, I cant remember the name of the thing you use, but no doubt someone will

Which bit of I meet all those conditions and my EPG at the minute stops at 1AM Saturday do I need to explain again?