Options

Big Bang Theory Season 7 US pace

Comments

• Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    You can almost foretell that Bernadette being pregnant is going to take up a season. Bet that is set up in the last episode of this season.

Oh i hope not. Pregnancy in a sitcom, it's been done to death.

I know they need to keep the show fresh but pregnancy is the last thing i want to see in the Big Bang Theory. It's bad enough that they have changed the characters personalities so much from what they once were, let's not make it worse.

I still love the show but it's no longer unique, it's just another sitcom trying to appeal to the same people that loved Friends.

I'm never going to say i think it should end because it's one of my all time favourite shows, but i really don't want a pregnancy story.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just rewatched the very first episode. It struck me that as well as setting up the Sheldon character's oddness (always sitting in the same spot, not understanding sarcasm, etc), but in the early episodes, he had a fairly normal, quick witted sense of humour. By later episodes he had become much more weird.

Yes. Somewhat bizarrely for a Sitcom, they quickly 'flanderised' his character, and have now spent the best part of three seasons reversing that process.

I'm enjoying it. It's rare that characters actually grow and change in a sitcom (especially a mainstream US one). It's being done in baby-steps for Sheldon. I liked him hugging Leonard. That was nice.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Yes. Somewhat bizarrely for a Sitcom, they quickly 'flanderised' his character, and have now spent the best part of three seasons reversing that process.

I'm enjoying it. It's rare that characters actually grow and change in a sitcom (especially a mainstream US one). It's being done in baby-steps for Sheldon. I liked him hugging Leonard. That was nice.

Yes i noticed all that too they played the 1st episode the other night and he was much more sexually and relationship aware than hes shown to be now. Still love it though.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I'm not really enjoying the Professor Proton episodes, maybe it's a UK-centric thing but I don't know the character at all. It all seems very lazy for me, Sheldon says something out there, Professor Proton gives the most predictable deadpan reply.

Over in the states his episodes are some of the most commentated and loved...

Lost on me....

The character 'Professor proton' is purely a BBT thing, He is not a real tv show character except to the guys in the show. So the not knowing the character isn't an issue as such
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I never really understood why Bob Newhart was so popular in the USA as well, a bit like why Time Square is so popular in the USA on New Years eve when all that happens is some ball drops.

Having said that I thought last weeks episode was one of the funniest for a while and back to proper Geek Big Bang. The whole Star Wars thing and Bob Newhart as Obi-Wan was funny. Very little Amy and Bernadette was also a big bonus.

I'd give that episode a good solid 9 out of 10
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    I never really understood why Bob Newhart was so popular in the USA as well

I believe he was boycotted by TV and radio advertisers which made him a cult figure on the college circuit.

An exception was the Dean Martin Show which didn't have any commercial breaks and also had a clause in Deano's contract which said he could invite any guest he wanted onto the show.

Likewise BBC radio in the UK which played his comedy records quite freeley.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad i found a site where i can see all the US stuff:cool:
    Watched the last 9 episodes including the new one(eps 23)
    Really enjoyable when you see a load of new ones back to back:)
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny,

Penny,

Penny,

'Oh my God, yes!' Kaley Cuoco agrees to marry Johnny Galecki on The Big Bang Theory

• Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Stigid wrote: »
    Penny,

Penny,

Penny,

'Oh my God, yes!' Kaley Cuoco agrees to marry Johnny Galecki on The Big Bang Theory

Daily Mail drive me insane with their SPOILER ALERT followed by the spoiler in the same sentence! At least give me the option to pass it by and not click on a link . *shakes fist*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure why the above posts are spoilers, this is the US pace for the show so we already know Leonard and Penny are getting engaged.

I really hope the writers don't keep it up, but I suspect their plan to make the next three seasons the new Friends will be to move Leonard in with Penny and Amy then moves in with Sheldon.
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why the above posts are spoilers, this is the US pace for the show so we already know Leonard and Penny are getting engaged.

I really hope the writers don't keep it up, but I suspect their plan to make the next three seasons the new Friends will be to move Leonard in with Penny and Amy then moves in with Sheldon.

Its getting more like friends with each passing week, the next step will be as you say the couples living with each other. I suppose if the viewing figures are good for this route then they have to continue.
    I just hope Sheldon doesn't change too much as it would be so boring.

I really don't like the Penny & Leonard centered episodes.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope sorry I don't care how insular Sheldon is meant to be, there is no way someone would be such a dick to a person in Stuart's position.

At least Howard allowed him to stay with him and it meant killing two birds with one stone, as Stuart could willingly look after Howard's mum.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the best of episodes. Got bored of Leonard and Penny's relationship dramas about 3 seasons ago.

The best part was actually Amy hitting Leonard at the end. "How could you let him go?!" :D
  • Options
    AgeOfTheGeekAgeOfTheGeek Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else get really sad about seeing the comic book store like that? :(
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the closure of the comic book store a signal to fans that this show is no longer about the nerdy geeky stuff but instead about the relationships of the main characters, if so i think thats a shame as the geek stuff is what made the show stand out and not just another Friends type show.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes. There's normally loads of cool DC stuff on display, most of which I'd like to own (especially the set of Bronze Age LSH figures!). Now they're gone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is the closure of the comic book store a signal to fans that this show is no longer about the nerdy geeky stuff but instead about the relationships of the main characters, if so i think thats a shame as the geek stuff is what made the show stand out and not just another Friends type show.

I agree totally. I really don't like the way the show is going, it looks like they are going to try to get some sort of manipulation to get Penny/Leonard and Sheldon/Amy and possibly Raj and whoever they fit him up with as the new 'Friends'

They might as well end the current series and just start it off as Friends in season 8, perhaps have Jennifer whatshername do a cameo appearance.

More and more scenes seem to take place in the apartments, now the comic book store has gone (not that it has been used much in recent shows), the university labs hardly get used and of course the cheesecake factory is not used.

No doubt for season 8 the comic book store will become....a coffee shop, how about calling it 'Central Perk' or similar? Perhaps Penny could get a job there and all they have to do is re-heat several years of Friends scripts and hey presto away you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they end up frequenting a coffee shop in season 8, then yes. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree totally. I really don't like the way the show is going, it looks like they are going to try to get some sort of manipulation to get Penny/Leonard and Sheldon/Amy and possibly Raj and whoever they fit him up with as the new 'Friends'

And Howard/Bernadette. :D
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    And Howard/Bernadette. :D

And Stuart/Debbie :D
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A piss poor ending to a piss poor season, for what was once a great show. Friends 2.0 from here on in>:(
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    The comparisons to Friends would work better if the BBT was still as funny as it used to be. Its really lost its charm imo. To be fair, every sitcom has a couple of bad seasons.

Sheldon's become a caricature of himself and honestly I think they relied on the character too much and its made him sort of annoying rather than funny now. What i've also noticed is that they're using quite a lot of cheap laughs with him now. Constantly saying sexist things and/or racially insensitive things gets exhausting after a while and its also just not very funny.

I'm actually surprised they've matured Leonard and Penny enough to get them engaged. Having them behave more like grown-ups is actually quite refreshing and far better to watch than the constant melo-drama of Penny's fear of commitment and Leonard's over-eagerness. I've no doubt that Penny will have some sort of cold-feet episode, possibly even leave Leonard stranded at the alter, next season though.

What i'd like to see is more of Stuart and Raj's new girlfriend (although I gather that will be difficult as the actress will also be working on Bones next year). I like her character (not enough to remember what her name is :blush:) and i've always liked Stuart, i'm a bit sad about the comic book shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i did and im getting so sick of sheldons rudeness they're overplaying it. I was so glad it worked out with howards mum id like to see more of stuart i think he has great comic timing and the storyline potential there is huge, we should see him battle sheldon for amys affections.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Foox wrote: »
    i did and im getting so sick of sheldons rudeness they're overplaying it. I was so glad it worked out with howards mum id like to see more of stuart i think he has great comic timing and the storyline potential there is huge, we should see him battle sheldon for amys affections.

I agree, Sheldon was just plain rude to Stuart.

It would be good to see him try to get Amy from Sheldon. Sheldon has already played the thug when it comes to threatening Stuart because of his jealousy over Amy, even though he treats Amy like crap.

Sheldon needs taking down a peg or two when it comes to those two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Sheldon was just plain rude to Stuart.

It would be good to see him try to get Amy from Sheldon. Sheldon has already played the thug when it comes to threatening Stuart because of his jealousy over Amy, even though he treats Amy like crap.

Sheldon needs taking down a peg or two when it comes to those two.

i think theyve overplayed him generally and people are losing sympathy in particular the episode where he threatened to expose leonard and priyas relationship to her parents over the room mate agreement.. I lloved the episode when penny stood up to him and asked them why they all didnt.

The itchy jumper eps did explain sheldon a bit ... like thats how living in his brain is... but i think they have given him less empathy and more rudeness as times gone on where i think it should have been the other way round and him soften a bit still plenty of comic potential in seeing that happen.