Scots candidates: Sharon in legal trouble, Lucinda is a success with her tea compa

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
Just thought I'd lump this recent news about these two candidates into one thread, seeing as they're both based in Scotland! :D

Sharon is in legal trouble with a child contact case:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/former-scots-apprentice-star-handed-3713115
She is facing jail! :eek: That's a shame, she didn't seem like the kind of person who'd get in this kind of trouble.

Lucinda, however has won money for her tea business, IntergriTea...
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/ex-apprentice-star-wins-50k-for-herbal-tea-firm-1-3450299
I am really sad that she seems to resent her time on the show, saying she 'expected it to be a serious business show', and she hates it how that's what people know her for when they see her.

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I think the case about Sharon is very personal and it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on it without knowing the ins and outs of it. I feel sorry for her as I did genuinely really like her on the show, and I actually rated her higher than most viewers would (if I was ranking them in order, I'd put her third after Ruth and Ansell), but who knows whether or not she's in the right? I wish her the best of luck.

I'm not at all surprised by Lucinda's comments, given the series that she took part in and the way that she was treated by the other candidates. There are lots of people from other series that are immensely proud of their time on the show, but I would have been surprised if Lucinda had been.
    Forum Member
    And also, there is a mistake in the article. Sharon was the joint first Scot on the show - Karen Bremner was in the same series.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't say Cindy's comments are surprising, it's just that she was such a fan favourite, and so it's a shame she feels that way.

And you're right, about Sharon AND Karen! Scottish candidates are a rarity on the show now... Since Ghazal in 2007, (or you could count Cindy in 2008), there have only been two... Kirsty Cleaver and Laura. I still find it intriguing how they've never had a male Scottish candidate!
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't say Cindy's comments are surprising, it's just that she was such a fan favourite, and so it's a shame she feels that way.

And you're right, about Sharon AND Karen! Scottish candidates are a rarity on the show now... Since Ghazal in 2007, (or you could count Cindy in 2008), there have only been two... Kirsty Cleaver and Laura. I still find it intriguing how they've never had a male Scottish candidate!

They've never had a Welsh female candidate either... :p
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but bear in mind they've only had two Welsh candidates :p

They've had Irish candidates in abundance. To be stereoptypical, the Irish female has filled the 'ice queen' role on a few occasions, and the Irish male candidates have filled the charmer/bullsh*tter role :D
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but bear in mind they've only had two Welsh candidates :p

They've had Irish candidates in abundance. To be stereoptypical, the Irish female has filled the 'ice queen' role on a few occasions, and the Irish male candidates have filled the charmer/bullsh*tter role :D

In a way, I'm kind of glad that they focus more on getting the right contestants than an abundance of representation. They haven't really had many from my neck of the woods, but I don't mind that very much if those people weren't right for the show.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've never had a Welsh female candidate either... :p

I think Sophie from Series 3 (or was it 4) was Welsh, though I'm probably wrong! :p
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I think Sophie from Series 3 (or was it 4) was Welsh, though I'm probably wrong! :p

Series 3, but she can't have been because there was such a big deal in Series 9 about Alex being the first ever Welsh candidate. (Although I personally count Young Apprentice as equivalent to the main show, so in my mind he wasn't the first, Rhys Rosser was.)
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, Leah was the first Irish candidate to subvert the "ice queen" trope in quite a while. Incidentally, she's also (again, if I'm not mistaken), the only non-English winner.
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, Leah was the first Irish candidate to subvert the "ice queen" trope in quite a while. Incidentally, she's also (again, if I'm not mistaken), the only non-English winner.

Actually, I'd say in previous years, Jane has been the only Irish 'ice-queen'. Jim was king of cliches, James was a bull-in-china-shop-turned-clever-boy and Maria was bubbly and volatile. Come to think of it, I can't think of many Irish ice-queens across the whole series. I wouldn't say Kristina or Lorraine were exactly...

I think she is the only non-English winner, but there have been winners who have had other nationalities in them - Yasmina was half-Iranian, for example.
    Forum Member
    I think you could describe Kristina, Jennifer, Jane, Maria and Leah as 'ice-queens, most definitely Jennifer and Jane. Although, I admit Leah did have her warmer moments.
    Forum Member
    I think you could describe Kristina, Jennifer, Jane, Maria and Leah as 'ice-queens, most definitely Jennifer and Jane. Although, I admit Leah did have her warmer moments.

I'd forgotten about Jennifer. What was icy about Kristina and Maria? Maria, in particular, seemed to be really warm, fun and popular in the house.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 3, but she can't have been because there was such a big deal in Series 9 about Alex being the first ever Welsh candidate. (Although I personally count Young Apprentice as equivalent to the main show, so in my mind he wasn't the first, Rhys Rosser was.)

Curiosity got the better of me, she's from Gwent in Wales :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-449401/I-rich-says-fired-Apprentice.html
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Curiosity got the better of me, she's from Gwent in Wales :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-449401/I-rich-says-fired-Apprentice.html

That's odd! :o