Options

Map of cable coverage street by street

in2deepin2deep Posts: 1,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of moving house this year, and would like to take up VM cable at the new place. However the postcode checker does literally that - checks the coverage at the postcode :rolleyes:

What I'm wondering therefore is whether there's a coverage map available that shows how far up a street VM's cable goes, in case I can get it extended to the new place.

I presume VM have a policy for laying new cable, but this'll most likely be a well-kept secret!!

It'd be a shame to drop down to a BT line and ADSL, as the performance hit will be noticable, and I might even have to consider jumping ship to Sky :cry:

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your best bet would be to ask for a spotter or site survey once you have moved.
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Erm well i think virgin media need to get their at together for the un-cabled streets in Norwich as over the next few months a upto 30 Meg wireless service is going to start, which will also make BT kicks themselves for not putting us on the map for the fibre to the kerb rollout this year lol.

Finally something Norwich can boast about for once :)
  • Options
    andrewcrawfordandrewcrawford Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbram1970 wrote: »
    Erm well i think virgin media need to get their at together for the un-cabled streets in Norwich as over the next few months a upto 30 Meg wireless service is going to start, which will also make BT kicks themselves for not putting us on the map for the fibre to the kerb rollout this year lol.

Finally something Norwich can boast about for once :)

your joking me? you think since oyu getting 30mb wireless your in dream land and virgin and bt should care?

wireless has loads fo problem msotly capicty and signal strangh and detoriation over distance worse than adsl
  • Options
    mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in2deep wrote: »
    I'm thinking of moving house this year, and would like to take up VM cable at the new place. However the postcode checker does literally that - checks the coverage at the postcode :rolleyes:
    Where I used to live in East London, some of the homes sharing my postcode got cable and others (including mine) could not.
    I was on the ground floor of a block of 6 apartments, they would not provide service to us even thought the cabinet was outside our building, while our neighbours in terraced houses either side could get service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you're looking around places have a look on the outside of the house or surrounding houses to see if they have the telltale brown boxes on the outside. Usually a foot above the ground with two black cables running out of the base and into the ground. Omni boxes I believe they call them. Usually a good indication of whether your potential new house can get cable or not.
  • Options
    Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Elojikal wrote: »
    When you're looking around places have a look on the outside of the house or surrounding houses to see if they have the telltale brown boxes on the outside. Usually a foot above the ground with two black cables running out of the base and into the ground. Omni boxes I believe they call them. Usually a good indication of whether your potential new house can get cable or not.

They all differ.

Cable London(North London): 1991 to late 90's, small white boxes and some small grey boxes similar to the ones used by BT.

Nynex ex-Cable and Wireless: 1994 to 1998 used Very large white boxes clearly saying Nynex.

Videotron: Used those brown boxes

If you live in a block with say 50 flats, especially council, they are likely to be prewired with Cable and you may not see any signs of it except the sockets inside the property.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    They all differ.

Cable London(North London): 1991 to late 90's, small white boxes and some small grey boxes similar to the ones used by BT.

Nynex ex-Cable and Wireless: 1994 to 1998 used Very large white boxes clearly saying Nynex.

Videotron: Used those brown boxes

If you live in a block with say 50 flats, especially council, they are likely to be prewired with Cable and you may not see any signs of it except the sockets inside the property.

Yes and in southampton they are green boxes also accompanied by large and small manhole covers with CATV written on it.