Options

Just had my first wasp sting!

Steady40Steady40 Posts: 2,095
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It flew into my shirt, not sure why. It's painful but not as much as I was expecting. It's still in the house, however I'm sure I've picked the sting out of my back.

Websites say that wasps don't lose their sting, but it looks like one, what else would it be? Does that mean that I shouldn't be too fussed about it anymore, as the sting is now down the sink?

Comments

• Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's small then possibly a honey bee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be a bee that stung?

If it gets painful, antihistamine and an ice cube on it will help. I think you're going to live though ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tidosho wrote: »
    If it's small then possibly a honey bee.

Oh ok, it looked like a wasp as it was thin and long, but it was a bit darker in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Could it be a bee that stung?

If it gets painful, antihistamine and an ice cube on it will help. I think you're going to live though ;)

Thanks, it looked like a wasp, but like the other person said, it could be a small honey bee. mistake I made was taking the sting out with my fingers:( But yes I'm confident I will live
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bees will tend to leave their stings in because they are barbed whereas wasp stings aren't.

I got stung on the leg by a huge hornet once and it hurt like hell and my leg blew up like a balloon.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think a wasp bite was too bad when I had one

I've also been stung by hornets which was quite bad because I must have trod on a nest back in the days when I wore short pants and they chased me for about 50 yards..........stinging my legs.......:o

Horseflies are particularly nasty as well because when you get one you tend to get a few.....they seem to hunt in packs......:o
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steady40 wrote: »
    It flew into my shirt, not sure why. It's painful but not as much as I was expecting. It's still in the house, however I'm sure I've picked the sting out of my back.

Websites say that wasps don't lose their sting, but it looks like one, what else would it be? Does that mean that I shouldn't be too fussed about it anymore, as the sting is now down the sink?

wasps don't generally leave their sting behind. They sting you in a stabbing motion, moving the stinger in and out of its abdomen very quickly.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasps do not leave their sting in

It's a honey bee
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first wasp sting.
    On holiday with another couple.
    Spain.
    Pre kids we'd splashed out on a villa with pool.
    Within minutes of arriving we were in swim gear for the pool and I grabbed my camera for a snap of my wife and our friends.
    I stepped back against a post and yelled as I thought someone had jabbed a lit cigarette into my bum cheek.
    Fifteen minutes after arriving I'm lying on my belly on the bed as my wife, a nurse, rubs the sting with an ice cube whilst crying laughing :blush:
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been stung several times by wasps, including one that crawled into my shoe and went mental. Also by bees on a few occasions. But none was as painful or long lasting as when a small Blandford fly bit me on the leg.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been stung yet. But that just increases the fear as to how bad it is. I had one in the house today though for the second day in a row. It didn't come near me luckily and soon flew out. I hate them.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flamin' HORRIBLY painful. I'm sorry OP.

I've been stung twice in my life, both times in the same year, on the soft part of my upper arm, and the second on the side of my breast.

Bloody horribly painful and you think it's going to stop and it gets worse and worse and it made me bloody nervous of wasps when I was all 'just ignore them you silly folk with your crazy backward ways' before.

bastard insects.>:(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I was stung by a wasp on my elbow a couple of years ago and it hurt like hell. About ten minutes later I started to feel faint, light-headed and short of breath too and I thought it was going into anaphylactic shock. I laid down on the bed for a while and eventually it passed. I didn't even do anything to annoy the wasp. I'd been walking and must've brushed past a hedge. It got onto my arm and stung me through my jacket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was stung years ago while pregnant and it made me feel really ill. It wasn't until afterwards I noticed now much it hurt but I can't remember the pain now, just the feeling really bloody dreadful. Same symptoms as Kapellmeister.

It reminds me well how horrible my ex was. I was out with our two under 5s and called home for him to collect me because I really didn't think I'd make it home. The bastard refused :(
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    26 and never been stung! I always run away screaming from wasps, it tends to work. ;-)
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was stung by a wasp on my elbow a couple of years ago and it hurt like hell. About ten minutes later I started to feel faint, light-headed and short of breath too and I thought it was going into anaphylactic shock. I laid down on the bed for a while and eventually it passed. I didn't even do anything to annoy the wasp. I'd been walking and must've brushed past a hedge. It got onto my arm and stung me through my jacket.

Have you been stung since? I only ask as similar happened to my mum, who was stung again at a later day and she then went Into shock and was rushed to hospital,
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stung at Loweswater on my upper arm. It was like an electric shock and it hurt for about half an hour. Also the bigger the wasp, the nastier the sting and luckily we don't have the kind of hornets you get in the far East.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been stung twice in my life, both times in the same year, on the soft part of my upper arm, and the second on the side of my breast.

I got stung on the tit by one 3 times in quick succession (the sneaky blighter was hiding in my bath towel and got me as I started to dry myself). The afflicted bosom was so swollen it looked noticeably bigger than the other for days. It looked bigger even when I was wearing a jacket.

After that, I developed an allergy to wasp stings. Not a dramatic, life-threatening, anaphylactic shock type allergy, but I get huge itchy lumps all over my body when I'm stung, and get wheezy.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Have you been stung since? I only ask as similar happened to my mum, who was stung again at a later day and she then went Into shock and was rushed to hospital,

No, I've not been stung since but now I'm very wary of wasps :(
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rain tends to kill them off. Actually a cool. wet August finishes them off quicker. I do recall the poor summer 2 years ago where there were hardly any wasps.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been stung by a wasp three times in my life. The first time was when I was 8 and I was running away from a nest my brother had been poking and got stung on the back of the neck. The second time was when I was 10 and (I shit you not) a wasp literally fell out of the sky and landed sting down on my hand. The third time was a few years ago and I was woken by a horrendous pain in my temple - there was one on my pillow and it got me when I turned over.

When I was working out in the country in a boarding kennels I was bitten by a horsefly. My hand swelled up so badly I couldn't use it and it was weeping white stuff for days. The itching drove me potty. I'd rather be stung by 10 wasps than go through that again.
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I've not been stung since but now I'm very wary of wasps :(

I would mention it next time you see your gp and they can refer you to allergy clinic, my mum was injected with so many stings once a week and then that changed to monthly. This was back in the 90's though so they may have a quicker way of doing it now, but she had to carry round a adrenaline pen incase she was stung prior to the allergy clinic referral
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I hate being stung by wasp :( Feels just like someone is sticking a sharp pin in you and not letting it back out :(