The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very pleased about CBB - looks to be another excellent series.

Boomers did as predicted, staying in the 3.5-4m bracket. It was unlikely to drop heavily against a rpt of DM.

I reckon a near million reduction can be classed as dropping heavily.........
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drama Consolidated Series Averages
    Here are the consolidated series averages for BBC One and ITV dramas so far in 2014:
    [u]BBC One[/u]
    1 - 11.83m - Sherlock... (+16%)
    2 - 10.54m - Call The Midwife... (+1%)
    3 - 8.46m - Death In Paradise... (+10%)
    4 - 7.38m - Silent Witness... (+2%)
    5 - 7.38m - The 7.39... (NEW/+1%)
    6 - 7.36m - Jonathan Creek... (-16%)
    7 - 7.21m - Happy Valley... (NEW/+2%)
    8 - 6.60m - The Crimson Field... (NEW/-19%)
    9 - 6.49m - Inspector George Gently... (+6%)
    10 - 6.30m - The Musketeers... (NEW/-43%)
    11 - 5.95m - Jamaica Inn... (NEW/-29%)
    12 - 5.71m - Shetland... (-16%)
    13 - 5.37m - Silk... (-6%)
    14 - 5.26m - The Village*... (-19%)
    15 - 5.10m - Common... (NEW)
    16 - 5.07m - In The Club*... (NEW)
    17 - 4.32m - Quirke... (NEW/-24%)
    18 - 4.27m - From Here To There... (NEW/-28%)
    19 - 3.05m - Walter... (NEW)

[u]ITV (inc ITV+1 in brackets)[/u]
    1 - 6.89m (7.51m) - The Widower... (NEW/+11%)
    2 - 6.79m (7.25m) - Vera... (+11%)
    3 - 6.77m (7.21m) - Prey... (NEW/-3%)
    4 - 6.74m (7.15m) - Undeniable... (NEW/-2%)
    5 - 6.56m (7.07m) - DCI Banks... (+23%)
    6 - 6.44m (6.82m) - Midsomer Murders... (+6%)
    7 - 6.24m (6.78m) - Endeavour... (-4%)
    8 - 5.90m (6.35m) - Mr Selfridge... (-21%)
    9 - 5.08m (5.51m) - The Bletchley Circle... (-2%)
    10 - 4.70m (5.12m) - Law & Order UK... (-10%)
    11 - 4.02m (4.40m) - Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This... (NEW)
    12 - 1.88m (2.05m) - Edge of Heaven... (NEW/-52%)

All individual episode ratings: http://postimg.org/image/4du7hsij5/full/

BBC One drama has averaged 7.04m over 89 hours so far this year
    ITV drama has averaged 5.53m (inc +1: 5.95m) over 68 hours so far this year

Notes
    - * means that the programme is still currently airing or all its ratings are yet to come in and its average will change.
    - The percentage change in brackets after the programme's name is the ratings rise or fall compared to the previous series
    - For new programmes, the percentage mentioned after NEW is how the final/latest episode of the series rated compared to the first episode, to give us an idea of how well or badly the series generally held up over its run
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I hope there are much bigger and better names still be revealed. I'm just worried that the rather tenuous celebrity status of the names revealed so far isn't a harbinger of doom. A poor line-up combined with the change of presenter might mean Strictly takes a bit of a knock this year.

I didn't realise that Mark Wright from TOWIE was Michelle Keegan's boyfriend. Perhaps Strictly have signed up both of them (buy one, get one free) but are holding back the announcement of Michelle until nearer the time.

Michelle would be a fairly big signing for them; ex-Corrie, centre of a big plot (that's on-going even though she's left) and a scantily-clad tabloid favourite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far, another very *meh* Strictly line-up. Two years running.

Where are the "national treasure" /BBC household names like Felicity Kendall?

They might still be holding back on those, but when you're having to book Alison Hammond, that doesn't eactly fill you with confidence...

Could be a big down year for Strictly, I predict.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judge Rinder down but I'd imagine the share its still over 14%

GMB a disaster basically. There are no other words.

Singer Takes It All is a BIG FAT FLOP.

Rinder's getting twice the audience the Speakmans were, so a recommission is assured.

I'd die of shock if Singer returns for a second run, but C4 have so little entertainment right now, stranger things have happened (like Drop getting another recommission)
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    So far, another very *meh* Strictly line-up. Two years running.

Where are the "national treasure" /BBC household names like Felicity Kendall?

They might still be holding back on those, but when you're having to book Alison Hammond, that doesn't eactly fill you with confidence...

Could be a big down year for Strictly, I predict.
    Last year's Strictly lineup was not great either. But the ratings were as high as ever. The good thing with Strictly is that the format itself is inherently strong. Viewers will watch it due to their love for the format, so even if the celeb lineup isnt as strong as previous series, viewers will let the show off because it is still an entertaining, fun, warm hearted program. It will beat XFactor this year for the fourth year running. Look at the competition SCD is facing, some low rating gameshows as opposed to XF facing the hyped Doctor Who. It's a no brainer, SCD will win once again :)
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    "The Kate Bush Story" drew 739k making the fifth most watched programme in that slot and beating "The Singer Takes It All"
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Chasing Shadows must surely do better than that.
    Have you seen the trailer for Chasing Shadows? It is one of the worst promos I've ever seen for a drama airing on BBC One or Itv. Looks like one of those niche dark Channel4 post 10pm dramas which fail to get 1million viewers. Mark my words cylon6 - Chasing Shadows will end up with one of the lowest ever rating launches for an Itv crime drama in the channel's history. This is such a bad trailer, it almost seems like Itv deliberately made it look niche so that their other dramas coming up look better and stand-out to the audience, in comparison.
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »

BBC One drama has averaged 7.04m over 89 hours so far this year
    ITV drama has averaged 5.53m (inc +1: 5.95m) over 68 hours so far this year
    Confirmation that BBC are airing much more drama than Itv these days. And they are rating much higher too, about 1.5million in difference between the two channel's averages. That will close a little after the autumn due to Downton abbey but the gap will still be around the million mark. This is a complete turnaround from 15+ years ago.

And with only one new 6-part drama officially announced for next year by Itv [jambusters], it looks like there wont be much if any increase in drama commissions next year even after the loss of the FA Cup and Champions league. Fincham didnt even announce any new dramas at the Guardian Festival yesterday, the one time of the year you'd expect him to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    "The Kate Bush Story" drew 739k making the fifth most watched programme in that slot and beating "The Singer Takes It All"

Exactly as it should be.

If I was someone important at ITV, I would be starting to worry about whether Rising Star was a good buy. I'm not sure it's selling-point (everyone can vote via an app) equates to ITV-sized ratings. (That's an ITV-sized ratings for its big hits, I mean. I'm well aware that 2 point something million is an increasingly common ITV-sized ratings these days.). The Singer Takes It All has hardly become water cooler TV.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Have you seen the trailer for Chasing Shadows? It is one of the worst promos I've ever seen for a drama airing on BBC One or Itv. Looks like one of those niche dark Channel4 post 10pm dramas which fail to get 1million viewers. Mark my words cylon6 - Chasing Shadows will end up with one of the lowest ever rating launches for an Itv crime drama in the channel's history. This is such a bad trailer, it almost seems like Itv deliberately made it look niche so that their other dramas coming up look better and stand-out to the audience, in comparison.

Some early reviews for Chasing Shadows haven't been kind. It will be possibly the only drama offering at 9pm so could find an audience.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big Brother consolidated series average is in...

2010 - 2.88m (13.8%) - June to August
    2011 - 1.72m (8.1%) - September to November
    2012 - 1.63m (7.3%) - June to August
    2013 - 1.84m (8.9%) - June to August
    2014 - 1.58m (7.7%) - June to August

Includes +1. Excludes spin-off's and episodes billed as 'Live from the House

The final averaged 1.77m officially which I have to be honest looks a bit disappointing. The average did drop in the last few weeks as well.

I've posted the 2010 average to show what Channel 4 used to have every night at 22:00, and no longer have.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    If I was someone important at ITV, I would be starting to worry about whether Rising Star was a good buy. I'm not sure it's selling-point (everyone can vote via an app) equates to ITV-sized ratings. (That's an ITV-sized ratings for its big hits, I mean. I'm well aware that 2 point something million is an increasingly common ITV-sized ratings these days.). The Singer Takes It All has hardly become water cooler TV.
    Elaine Bedell the head of Itv entertainment [who by the way is leaving - probably pushed out due to how dire her hit rate was], was recently telling Broadcast how she is confident Rising Star is different and modern enough to become a fresh take of the singing talent show format and rate very well. She hasnt got a clue what she is talking about. Rising Star has become a major international flop outside of Israel [which only has 4 major tv channels so things automatically rate higher anyway].

In Brazil, the show was one of the smallest rating shows for the channel of the day of its airing in terms of share. It was beaten by the Sylvio Santos Program, a cheap chat-show on a smaller channel hosted by a frail 80+ year old. In America, the show was constantly plugged during the high rating NBA Basketball Finals. Despite the huge promotional push, it launched with a paltry 6million viewers or so [a 1.5 in the demo]. And its ratings have since been in free-fall, with the latest episode rating half the audience of its low rating debut and the show has been a critical flop.

It's been a disaster most places. The fools at Itv think that a rising wall and some silly phone app gimmick will be enough to tempt 5million+ viewers to tune into this show week after week, just after months and months of The XFactor and The Voice have aired. They are in for a serious shock when the ratings comes in :D
    Some early reviews for Chasing Shadows haven't been kind. It will be possibly the only drama offering at 9pm so could find an audience.
    Chasing Shadows is everything you dont want your drama to be from a ratings maximising perspective. It is:

- dark
    - gritty
    - contains violence
    - has shaking camera/guerilla effect
    - no big Itv-name actor
    - involves kidnapping/torture scenes
    - not standalone storylines
    - bad scenery
    - no humour

This is going to rate really badly in comparison to most Itv crime dramas. Something bogstandard, safe and easy to understand like Inspector Banks is capable of double the audience of Chasing Shadows. The OAP audience, which is the audience dramas have to appeal to in order to get a big audience, will most certainly side with The Mary Berry Who Do You Think You Are a week on Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If Chasing Shadows is starting on 4th September, then I think its first episode will air against the Mary Berry edition of Who Do You think You Are? That could be an interesting clash for the Ratings Thread.

Incidentally, if WDYTYA is going to give up its Thursday slot for something else halfway through its run, could the second half of the series be screened on Sundays at 9pm opposite Downton? That would be a good alternative. It wouldn't be out of place in a Sunday slot, it wouldn't be seen as aggressive scheduling by the BBC and it could attract a decent overnight of mid to high 3's. Plus I don't watch Downton but I do watch WDYTYA so it would be a good alternative for me.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please tell me you're trolling. Please tell me you're trolling.

Shakes head in total and utter disbelief.>:(>:(

Krishan, you were totally right to give that useless woman a hard time. Moore proving the stereotype that women don't have a sense of humour.
    >:(

And H, you're right, MM was utterly awful.

The best out of the Comedy Playhouse trio was Monks. With tweaking and some good writing, it had potential. Miller's Mountain was so abysmal it stopped being funny and started being embarrassing about four minutes in. Do these controllers actually watch anything that the channel they're in charge of put out? Miller's Mountain (or Mountain Goat) will be a bigger ratings flop than The Royal Bodyguard. At least that had a high rated opener that kept its average better than it would have been. I am utterly gobsmacked. Oh, wait! Of course! It was the ONLY Scottish comedy wasn't it! Well, there you go, that explains it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to disagree there. I think the BBC make some very good trailers like Doctor Who, Line Of Duty 2 and The Fall.

Having said that they could have pushed In The Club more as not just about babies, and The White Queen shouldn't have been pushed as a love story.

BBC2's new Original British Drama Trailer is pretty cool.

Original British Drama: 2014 Trailer - BBC Two: http://youtu.be/5GaGZEdg1VE

i agree the beeb are pretty good at trailer's and certainly no worse than the commercial channels. the dr who trailer is very clever. i like how the dr interrupts the continuity announcer. :)
    Forum Member
    Looks like the BBC are no longer going to be giving Tumble much support. The promotional campaign has reduced and they are not going with the initial plan of giving episode 5 a Strictly lead-in. Although it has been a critical success and rated solidly in the ratings, the BBC have moved onto other priorities such as drama which they are really pushing this Autumn. This has left Tumble without much support, but the BBC know that in the long term, the dramas are the most important genre and defines the channel. Tumble will continue to rate fine but is no longer high priority at the corporation, so I can see them resting it indefinitely following this series. I think for the Beeb it was a project they used in order to attract non-BBC staff to the corporation, who typically work for commercial channels. They are playing the long game, they know some of the crew that traditionally dont work with the Beeb have potential to come up with big hit ideas in the future, so it's better to get them involved with the BBC family right now with a summer filler show - knowing that in the future, they could come up with something big, safe in the knowledge that they will come to the Beeb first.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the BBC are no longer going to be giving Tumble much support. The promotional campaign has reduced and they are not going with the initial plan of giving episode 5 a Strictly lead-in. Although it has been a critical success and rated solidly in the ratings, the BBC have moved onto other priorities such as drama which they are really pushing this Autumn. This has left Tumble without much support, but the BBC know that in the long term, the dramas are the most important genre and defines the channel. Tumble will continue to rate fine but is no longer high priority at the corporation, so I can see them resting it indefinitely following this series.

BIB: I love you samuel! You brighten up my day. I love how you're optimistic outlook in life makes terrible ratings seem better! Don't ever ever change the way you are will you? This thread would be a whole lot duller without you. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the BBC are no longer going to be giving Tumble much support. The promotional campaign has reduced and they are not going with the initial plan of giving episode 5 a Strictly lead-in. Although it has been a critical success and rated solidly in the ratings, the BBC have moved onto other priorities such as drama which they are really pushing this Autumn. This has left Tumble without much support, but the BBC know that in the long term, the dramas are the most important genre and defines the channel. Tumble will continue to rate fine but is no longer high priority at the corporation, so I can see them resting it indefinitely following this series. I think for the Beeb it was a project they used in order to attract non-BBC staff to the corporation, who typically work for commercial channels. They are playing the long game, they know some of the crew that traditionally dont work with the Beeb have potential to come up with big hit ideas in the future, so it's better to get them involved with the BBC family right now with a summer filler show - knowing that in the future, they could come up with something big, safe in the knowledge that they will come to the Beeb first.

:o:o:o:D:D:D best laugh i have had all morning. thank you.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The aggressive nature of Murthys question to the poor woman was unacceptable. Cohen and Stephenson did the right thing to defend Moor following the session as the aggression and bias in Murthys questioning was very unfair. Poor Charlotte Moor was shocked by the biased nature of questioning from the rival channels news anchor I doubt Guru Murphy will ever be given a job at the BBC in the future following this debacle, very bad behaviour from him to use a harmless TV controller session to attack someone. It's meant to be a bit of harmless fun, not bloody Newsnight!

I had to laugh this morning - not only did the BBC send out the heavies to deal with Krishnan at the festival but the DS thread BBC mafia are out in force to take him down today. :D

I laughed less at the horrendously patronising tone of your post towards Charlotte Moore.

All in all, not a great few days for the BBC though. The thin skinned reaction of Cohen and Stephenson drew far more attention to the session. The commissioning survey results were particularly damaging. All in all, a fairly fractious festival this year, not just for the BBC.
    Very bad sign for Rising Star. Looks like the audience dont want another new singing talent show. The success of the Voice has more than filled the hole for singing talent shows.

That's a bit like saying the failure of Let Me Entertain You was a bad sign for Britain's Got Talent or that the success of The Voice USA was a good sign for X Factor USA.

Rising Star has its own problems and The Singer Takes It All is way down the list of concerns and issues.
    Does anybody know how Bake Off Extra Slice did?

Thanks for the ratings DMN. To say ratings were generally so so would be kind.

2.1m (10.9%)
    I didn't realise that Mark Wright from TOWIE was Michelle Keegan's boyfriend. Perhaps Strictly have signed up both of them (buy one, get one free) but are holding back the announcement of Michelle until nearer the time.

Michelle would be a fairly big signing for them; ex-Corrie, centre of a big plot (that's on-going even though she's left) and a scantily-clad tabloid favourite.

I'm not sure that's the route she wants to be going down just yet although she would be better than anything they've got for now. It won't matter though, people will watch anyway. The celebs are usually pretty D List.
    rzt wrote: »
    Here are the consolidated series averages for BBC One and ITV dramas so far in 2014:
    [u]BBC One[/u]
    1 - 11.83m - Sherlock... (+16%)
    2 - 10.54m - Call The Midwife... (+1%)
    3 - 8.46m - Death In Paradise... (+10%)
    4 - 7.38m - Silent Witness... (+2%)
    5 - 7.38m - The 7.39... (NEW/+1%)
    6 - 7.36m - Jonathan Creek... (-16%)
    7 - 7.21m - Happy Valley... (NEW/+2%)
    8 - 6.60m - The Crimson Field... (NEW/-19%)
    9 - 6.49m - Inspector George Gently... (+6%)
    10 - 6.30m - The Musketeers... (NEW/-43%)
    11 - 5.95m - Jamaica Inn... (NEW/-29%)
    12 - 5.71m - Shetland... (-16%)
    13 - 5.37m - Silk... (-6%)
    14 - 5.26m - The Village*... (-19%)
    15 - 5.10m - Common... (NEW)
    16 - 5.07m - In The Club*... (NEW)
    17 - 4.32m - Quirke... (NEW/-24%)
    18 - 4.27m - From Here To There... (NEW/-28%)
    19 - 3.05m - Walter... (NEW)

[u]ITV (inc ITV+1 in brackets)[/u]
    1 - 6.89m (7.51m) - The Widower... (NEW/+11%)
    2 - 6.79m (7.25m) - Vera... (+11%)
    3 - 6.77m (7.21m) - Prey... (NEW/-3%)
    4 - 6.74m (7.15m) - Undeniable... (NEW/-2%)
    5 - 6.56m (7.07m) - DCI Banks... (+23%)
    6 - 6.44m (6.82m) - Midsomer Murders... (+6%)
    7 - 6.24m (6.78m) - Endeavour... (-4%)
    8 - 5.90m (6.35m) - Mr Selfridge... (-21%)
    9 - 5.08m (5.51m) - The Bletchley Circle... (-2%)
    10 - 4.70m (5.12m) - Law & Order UK... (-10%)
    11 - 4.02m (4.40m) - Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This... (NEW)
    12 - 1.88m (2.05m) - Edge of Heaven... (NEW/-52%)

All individual episode ratings: http://postimg.org/image/4du7hsij5/full/

A serious lack of returning drama for itv so far this year - they really need to be pushing for shows to be made on a regular 12 month cycle to avoid periods like this.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    So much for Tumble being the ratings success that was predicted with 3 million viewers ;)

Great rating for the Kate Bush documentary. It's done wonders for her back catalogue, two of her albums are in the top 10 on iTunes (keep buying so she can get to number 1!).
  • RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Singer Takes It All is a BIG FAT FLOP.

Wrong channel, wrong timeslot, and terrible host.

7pm on Saturday night on ITV would be perfect. I actually enjoy the format.

I'm so surprised at how bad Alan Carr is at presenting it. He's not comfortable and unable to cope with a live show.

Rising Star has bombed in America and, having seen a couple of episodes, I can understand why. I don't see it doing well in the UK but will happily be proven wrong.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Neil_N wrote: »
    There is no interest in the England football team anymore. I for one have given up on those clowns.

Italia 1990, I have zero interest in football since that infamous penalty shootout.
    I did watch Euro 96 and that was the final nail in the coffin of supporting/watching and backing England, especially when the players cashed in on the failure with Pizza Hut adverts.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    A serious lack of returning drama for itv so far this year - they really need to be pushing for shows to be made on a regular 12 month cycle to avoid periods like this.

It'll look a bit better at the end of the year with Downton Abbey, Scott & Bailey, Lewis and Suspicions of Mr Whicher all back this Autumn but it's too uneven I agree. They get left with weak patches filled with lots of new or low priority shows. Next year will be better but they could do with getting a grip on things.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Despite what Samuel says I thought the trailer for Chasing Shadows looked ok although wasnt sure about the leading man.
This discussion has been closed.