Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The aforementioned appendage was a Mr A. Townsend :)

And I was bang on the money ;)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I was bang on the money ;)

Heh .. who else would it be ? :)

I'd fine him £100 for every shot he takes if there's a better option on. We'd easily fund the new stadium ..
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh .. who else would it be ? :)

I'd fine him £100 for every shot he takes if there's a better option on. We'd easily fund the new stadium ..

And Messi's buy out clause!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Messi's buy out clause!

And still have change :)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Vertonghen is not signing a new contract, make of that what you will! He still has 4 years left on his current one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    So Vertonghen is not signing a new contract, make of that what you will! He still has 4 years left on his current one.

I read that earlier. I don't actually think it's him declaring he's going to leave on a free at the end of this deal, just that he doesn't want to sign a new deal right at this moment - probably because he only signed one last year and still has 4 years to go.

In a roundabout sort of way, i think it's a good sign. He could well be perfectly happy with the deal he signed last year and could have told the club they don't have to re-negotiate as he's happy to stay.

Obviously time will tell though ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that earlier. I don't actually think it's him declaring he's going to leave on a free at the end of this deal, just that he doesn't want to sign a new deal right at this moment - probably because he only signed one last year and still has 4 years to go.

In a roundabout sort of way, i think it's a good sign. He could well be perfectly happy with the deal he signed last year and could have told the club they don't have to re-negotiate as he's happy to stay.

Obviously time will tell though ..
    I think he is probably just helping to keep his options open. Seeing that we don't keep players much past 30 years of age now anyway (keepers excepted), I was wondering what would be the point of extending his contract?
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like all the positive comments about Ryan Mason and his performance after coming on as a sub last night and scoring a great goal. But that's nothing new. As most of you will know, last season he was on loan at Swindon Town and it was around this time last year that he was in top form for us as he scored a hat-trick against Crewe and he should have had another hat-trick against Wolves a couple of weeks later, but he missed at least 2 gilt-edged chances. However, check out the worldy he scored at the end of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvt3d5rXTE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like all the positive comments about Ryan Mason and his performance after coming on as a sub last night and scoring a great goal. But that's nothing new. As most of you will know, last season he was on loan at Swindon Town and it was around this time last year that he was in top form for us as he scored a hat-trick against Crewe and he should have had another hat-trick against Wolves a couple of weeks later, but he missed at least 2 gilt-edged chances. However, check out the worldy he scored at the end of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvt3d5rXTE
    Yes, he obviously has something as we have kept very few over 21s from last season who are not established in the first team. In the U.S. pre-season tour, Mason acquitted himself well and must of shown enough for Poch not to want to move him on. incidently it was Tim Sherwood who promoted him to the first team at the end of his reign last year whilst Ryan was still on loan at Swindon.

I think Townsend could take some lessons from Mason on how to hit the target ...but on second thoughts, that would make him pass even less when near the penalty area!
  • Options
    Tiggy1937Tiggy1937 Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life long Spurs fan here. Just wondered what predictions we have for tomorrow?

Personally would prefer this tie a bit later in the season.

My heart says a Spurs win 2-1 but my head says Arsenal 1-0.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggy1937 wrote: »

Being an optimist I hope we only lose by 2 goals! Seriously though, I want us to have a real go at them and close them down in midfield whenever they get the ball. If we can score first then we might be able to get a result but odds are against us.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Tiggy1937 wrote: »

As the only Spurs fan in a family of Arsenal fans I've come to dread this day more and more over the last few seasons. I now have the attitude expect to lose and anything else is a bonus
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he obviously has something as we have kept very few over 21s from last season who are not established in the first team. In the U.S. pre-season tour, Mason acquitted himself well and must of shown enough for Poch not to want to move him on. incidently it was Tim Sherwood who promoted him to the first team at the end of his reign last year whilst Ryan was still on loan at Swindon.

I think Townsend could take some lessons from Mason on how to hit the target ...but on second thoughts, that would make him pass even less when near the penalty area!

Ditto Alex Pritchard (currently on a season-long loan at Brentford).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i can take any result tomorrow as long as we give it a good go and don't fall apart, as we have done in the past.

Everyone will most likely be expecting us to lose anyway, so we can't really go wrong either way. As long as we can come away from the game satisfied that we really had a go at them then fair enough.

Obviously I'd be over the bloody moon if we won of course :D
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    we're looking completely out of ideas at present, and a Kaboul/Chiriches partnership is an accident waiting to happen. I can't see anything other than an Arsenal win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    we're looking completely out of ideas at present, and a Kaboul/Chiriches partnership is an accident waiting to happen. I can't see anything other than an Arsenal win.
    After Chiriches' last outings, I will be totally dumbfounded if Poch starts him again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Chiriches' last outings, I will be totally dumbfounded if Poch starts him again tomorrow.

Have to agree with that. I would much prefer either Fazio or Vertonghen to get the nod. Kaboul will obviously play as he's the captain, but Vlad really shouldn't be anywhere near the Emirates tomorrow.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only wish for tomorrow is that Dembele and Lennon don't start the game. If they do it'll be our 9 against their 11 and the game will be over by half time.

Hopefully, Mason will have earned a place on the bench and will be given another 30 mins or so. Our youngers players probably don't have the same mental weakness against the gooners as all of them will be used to us beating them regularly at U21, U19, U16 for several seasons now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was mistakenly reported in the game commentary in the week that Mason couldn't play in the premier league as he hadn't been named in the squad, but he's definitely in there.

If he does turn out against Ars*nal in some capacity, it'll be his third sub appearance in a week as he apparently played for the U21's on Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was mistakenly reported in the game commentary in the week that Mason couldn't play in the premier league as he hadn't been named in the squad, but he's definitely in there...
    Indeed, we needed to name him as one of our home grown quota whether there was any intention of playing him or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team is in, and there's some changes :)

Lloris,

Naughton, Kaboul (c), Vertonghen, Rose;

Capoue, Mason;

Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela;

Adebayor

No Chiriches, who didn't even make the squad, which is a massive relief and Mason gets a Premier League debut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...No Chiriches, who didn't even make the squad, which is a massive relief and Mason gets a Premier League debut.
    Poch has obviously been reading this thread for team advice!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poch has obviously been reading this thread for team advice!! :D

Hey, you could be right there !

I notice Dembele isn't even in the squad as well so i guess it could potentially indicate a shuffling of the pack with regards to who's now going to play in the cup matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the Arses squad doesn't look that scary with Wellbeck up front !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it doesn't, but even then they have the luck of the gods on them in the NLD's, despite anything else that's going on.

Was thinking though, if we can somehow get a win here, it could benefit Poch in a number of ways because it'll give him a lot of goodwill with the fans and give him more time to sort the team out before the fans start getting itchy feet and impatient (again..)

anyway, time to fire up the chromecast again .. here goes nothing .. COYS! :)
This discussion has been closed.