Options

Has coming out damaged Joe McElderry's career?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
Forum Member
✭✭
Obviously his last single bombed at #67 but do you think his sexuality has influenced his career dive in any way? I find it very sad if so, it's the 21st century.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    If anything it's probably prolonged his 15 mins. I strongly suspected he would have faded back into obscurity either way.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't have a big presence as an artist is more my guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who would have thought Olly be the "real winner". His album is still in the Top 40 after 20wks and he got another single comin out. but no sign of saving Joe's album

this is what he did to Shanye and Leona when their single flopped. He invest only when your WINNING, otherwise your forgettable
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    rickyjune wrote: »
    who would have thought Olly be the "real winner". His album is still in the Top 40 after 20wks and he got another single comin out. but no sign of saving Joe's album

this is what he did to Shanye and Leona when their single flopped. He invest only when your WINNING, otherwise your forgettable

Leona's single flopped?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought Joe McElderry was more musical theatre than chart appeal and that was before he came out so no difference to me. Pleased Olly doing so well should have won in my opinion,.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    with his target audience its not a good idea to come out as gay
    but he was probably forced into it as the tabs had the good on him
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    with his target audience its not a good idea to come out as gay
    but he was probably forced into it as the tabs had the good on him
    With his target audience? Joe's support came mostly from XF's mature viewers.

I doubt that the tabloids had anything on Joe.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its nothing to do with his sexuality. If he had been given decent songs by cowell he'd have done fine. Illy has been given a song written by James Morrison but Joe got some awful Danish song to cover. Bizarre.
  • Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is success to be measured? As far as Jedward are concerned so far they are the ones who have financially made the most in a year (€3m, 2010) in the X Factor's history. They did get to #2 with Ice Ice Baby with their music in the UK, far exceeding that in their home country of Ireland with a double platinum album of covers. They are appearing in the news often. It'll be interesting to see how their Summer album with original songs and no input from Syco does. If the music doesn't take off, they'll still be around in the entertainment business for quite some time. Modest don't appear to have been a great Management company for Joe McElderry's career.
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Joe McElderry come out? Did he have a career? I hadn't even noticed that he released a single! :o

Quite liked him on X-Factor, esp his duet with George Michael, but I agree with lizznhayley, he's musical theatre and not chart material.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think him coming out had anything to do with it. The press had him written off long before then. It created some interest, and may even have encouraged some to cut him a little slack for fear of being called homophobic, but when radio doesn't want to play your music, you are stuffed. He doesn't have the outlandish kind of personality that can get around that.
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Coming out didn't damage his career, but the inane grin and mincing around like a little girl probably does nothing for his sex appeal though.
  • Options
    Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He won a TV talent show and had a hit single off the back of it.

He would have disappeared by now regardless of his sexuality (although, ironically, the RATM association will keep his name in the spotlight for longer than most).
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think it has damaged his career. He is a pretty boy that young 13-16 year old fans love but coming out that he is gay I think finished his rather shaky career off completely. How many young fans would scream for Justin Biber if he came out?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Bungle wrote: »
    He won a TV talent show and had a hit single off the back of it.

He would have disappeared by now regardless of his sexuality (although, ironically, the RATM association will keep his name in the spotlight for longer than most).

Agree :)
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's damaged his career. Singing bland unimaginative songs and most definitely not having the x factor are probably not helping him though. Do we really need another clean cut singer like Joe? Singing lift music?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    the winner is looked after by cowel and thus neglected, if
    was runner up would have had different manager and label
    and career would have been different, if olly had won he would
    have flopped, look how westlife were neglected too
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not to do with his sexuality. Will Young came out and had years of success. There are lots of successful openly gay artists.

Joe just doesn't have all the prerequisites to be a pop star. He's totally reliant on other people writing, arranging, producing and promoting him and they've all moved on. He doesn't seem to have the wherewithall to get his career going. Winning a TV talent show isn't evidence that you're any good. Viewers vote 100 times but they don't buy 100 albums - most of them don't buy anything. IMO he should try the musical stage or TV acting, he might be more suited to it.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he have one to start with? And who cares?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe never had the X Factor, weirdly, considering that's the show he won. He has a faultless singing voice, but that isn't what gets you famous these days. He only had to look at his mentor for confirmation of that.

Yes, there will have been an element of girls fantasising about being his girlfriend (there always is for any young famous man), reacting to the coming out news with 'OMG, I think I love him even more now!' then promptly finding someone else to dream about shagging, but I don't think it changed the outcome for him. As with Will Young, most viewers knew he was gay while he was on the show, ages before the announcement. The difference is, Will had a personality along with the talent and people liked him for standing up to Simon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just not good enough to be a pop star. Ray hasn't done too
    bad in stage shows so there is still hope for him yet
    Wonder if Joe is any good on ice skates?
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most X Factor winners sink back into obscurity. Cowell quickly tires of them once the initial hype of the first single has passed.

That's just the way it is. X Factor is just a slightly prolonged version of the '15 minutes of fame' scenario.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickyjune wrote: »

Me!! Olly was much better, and had so much more personality. He should have won.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    He's an OK singer but with zero personality (being gay or straight doesn't really come into it).

He should never have won, Olly Murs was robbed :)