FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jose Mourinho was the manager?

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think so. A bit better anyway. Not sure about a lot better.

I think he's a bit sharper tactically.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wouldn't play better football, but they'd certainly have a winning attitude and a lot of confidence on the pitch. He could explain to them that the stronger team doesn't have to be the winning team on the night. England could do with Mourinho's 'winning at all costs' style.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Should England play the best players for each game,or plan for a tournament two years in the future?
    I appreciate Stevie G and Frank Lampard are older now,but in Sept 2014,their replacements aren't as good,
    I could say the same for Ashley Cole too.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Should England play the best players for each game,or plan for a tournament two years in the future?
    I appreciate Stevie G and Frank Lampard are older now,but in Sept 2014,their replacements aren't as good,
    I could say the same for Ashley Cole too.

In this instance, where England should qualify for the Euros it make sense to build a team and plan for a tournament 2 years in advance. Even a club level some teams sacrifice a little bit when in "transition".
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Debatable. He has never managed at international level and it's a whole lot different to club level.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure.

They'd be harder to beat, that for sure, but whether they'd go further than the normally usual 1/4 finals at major tournaments, I remain to be convinced.

With a national side, a manager can't buy who he fancies & is forced to work with players based on their passports & not exclusively on how good they are.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member
    They'd be harder to beat, that for sure, but whether they'd go further than the normally usual 1/4 finals at major tournaments, I remain to be convinced.

They didn't even make the round of 16 under Hodgson last time though, nevermind the 1/4 finals.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't even make the round of 16 under Hodgson last time though, nevermind the 1/4 finals.

Didn't make the quarter finals under Fabio Capello either. They actually played well under Sven and were unlucky a few times, but they started playing shockingly bad under Capello.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Didn't make the quarter finals under Fabio Capello either. They actually played well under Sven and were unlucky a few times, but they started playing shockingly bad under Capello.

Overall, England had a better side under Sven than Capello, I'd say. You could predict the first 11 for every match under Sven, where as with Capello there a few more weaknesses in the team.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    Overall, England had a better side under Sven than Capello, I'd say. You could predict the first 11 for every match under Sven, where as with Capello there a few more weaknesses in the team.

Yeah..... the bit I had difficulty with was predicting who the eleven substitutes that took over for the second half would be.

Mourinho wouldn't want to take over England anyway as it would mean working with English footballers. Eleven of 'em. All in the same team.

I don't think he'd like that idea. Not at all.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. Mourinho likes to craft a physical, hard-working side and that'll cut down his options in terms of English players who fit that style. Milner would be the first name on the team sheet and he'd look to close games down. It would be tight, cynical stuff with the hope one of the speedsters could nick something on the break. It may get us through the group stages but would fall short of getting us past the best teams.

I think England's strengths now lie in pace and a more adventurous approach. If we sit back, we haven't got the solidity at the back to survive.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debatable. He has never managed at international level and it's a whole lot different to club level.

!00% agree with this.

Why?

Louis Van Gaal.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    !00% agree with this.

Why?

Louis Van Gaal.

What a strange example. Unless you're being ironic.