Options

BlackBerry Z10 first impressions

Comments

• Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with the market just now is that people are been brain washed into thinking a phone is 'better' than another cos it has a 0.1Ghz better processor or its quad core not dual core.

Its not always the case though, WP8 is apparently very lean and so doesnt need a huge processor the OS runs smooth with older/slower processors.

I think once the ability to side load Android Jelly Bean apps to the BB Z10 is available then it will sell a lot more. At the moment, its just GingerBread compatible apps.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the market just now is that people are been brain washed into thinking a phone is 'better' than another cos it has a 0.1Ghz better processor or its quad core not dual core.

Its not always the case though, WP8 is apparently very lean and so doesnt need a huge processor the OS runs smooth with older/slower processors.

I think once the ability to side load Android Jelly Bean apps to the BB Z10 is available then it will sell a lot more. At the moment, its just GingerBread compatible apps.

Sideloading is primarily for geeks, don't think thats a mass market proposition - it would be better if BB did a better job of getting the apps repackaged and into the BB store.

Apple are fighting the battle against the drive for quad core, but no doubt will succumb at some point.

Wouldn't be so bad if moving from a dual to quad core made much of a difference. Comparisons between my ICS Vega (dual core) and Nexus 7 (quad core) for browsing are purely down to clock speed differences, regular UI/browsing only tends to use a single core.

Heck, even my laptop - quad core i7 is actually a little slower than my prior i5 on some tasks, as they only use one core, and the i7 is clocked a little lower. Its only for specific tasks (gaming, heavy duting computing) that quad core tends to be of any benefit.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,484
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I'll just say that the keyboard on the Z10 was truly horrible. The way that suggestions kept popping up on different letters or the space bar was very distracting. The should ask Swype for the fee back.

How quickly will blackberry update their hardware? The Z10 is already behind the curve. Have they got the wherewithal to keep up with it innovation.

Strange, the keyboard on the Z10 has been widely acknowledged as one of the, if not best touchscreen keyboards there is.

Maybe you just needed time to get used to it, not everything is going to be the same as IOS and Android.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Strange, the keyboard on the Z10 has been widely acknowledged as one of the, if not best touchscreen keyboards there is.

Maybe you just needed time to get used to it, not everything is going to be the same as IOS and Android.

I've generally got a mild dislike for the iPhone keyboard, after several months usage I'm wondering what all the fuss was about. Its really not that good, layout is average at best and auto correct does seem very random.

At least on Android you can easily put on different keyboards.

I'm actually preferring the keyboard on my 808 (Belle FP2) to the iPhone, which is something that I never expected.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time will tell, but I remember this sort of buzz around Palm's webOS when it was first announced and launched, but it was a temporary buzz and the platform has long since gone, even after a buyout from HP.

If BlackBerry pick up enterprise adoption they may be OK, but enterprise traditionally take a while to deploy new platforms until they're very much tried and tested, and the ones who have already moved to iOS/Android will likely stick with it for a while.

If BB can show better secure solutions, they may still be the device of choice for Government.
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    Don't forget that Samsung have their AMOLED display that helps. I guess hardware wise, that's shame you have to return it. Seriously though, do you have your face stuck into the screen that much that brightness is much of an issue? This sounds like a pedantic Apple user who wants to take the device back because of the home button being slightly out of postion.
    a non issue then is it? :rolleyes:

Blackberry 10 and Z10 vital information regarding screen brightness. Fix suggested. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time will tell, but I remember this sort of buzz around Palm's webOS when it was first announced and launched, but it was a temporary buzz and the platform has long since gone, even after a buyout from HP.

If BlackBerry pick up enterprise adoption they may be OK, but enterprise traditionally take a while to deploy new platforms until they're very much tried and tested, and the ones who have already moved to iOS/Android will likely stick with it for a while.

If BB can show better secure solutions, they may still be the device of choice for Government.

The difference between webOS and BB is that webOS was coming from nowhere, BB does at least have a history of producing decent products.

I know of corporates that have dropped the iOS and Android solutions due to their not being sufficiently secure - which confirms what I previously understood, that while the MDM solutions for iOS and Android are secure, they're still not as secure as Blackberry.

Catch is that Blackberry aren't particularly good at marketing, so despite offering what appears to be a more secure solution - and a proven track record - will they be able to capitalise this? I'm sceptical - although hopeful.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    A bit better in one small aspect of what handsets are capable of nowadays isn't much progress, especially if it's an area that most people feel their existing handsets are fine in.
    My point however was more that it's the only thing that has been mentioned in defence of the Z10, which raises questions as to how well the handset performs at other tasks - and if it's sub-par in those areas, it doesn't matter how great it is for messaging.

That seems to be a relatively new thing with people becoming dissatisfied with the iPhone, the iPhone5 in particular seems to have lost people's adulation which is strange given it's actually a decent step up from the 4S.

Logic dictates though that Blackberry will probably only pick up a minority of people leaving the iPhone. There's no reason to believe that those people's buying habits will be vastly different to the market as a whole, which means most of them will go for Android.
    That combined with the few people still on the older Blackberrys doesn't add up to that great a number.
    I'm sure they'll also see some people switch from Android too but I just don't see the numbers being that big is all.

Looking at a number of tech sites, there seems to be maybe two sources, they've just been cited numerous times.
    But neither of them have any hard numbers to back up the claims, they're just guesses.

As I said before, similar guesses in the past have proven to be questionable at best, so until some hard numbers are announced, I'd say it's rather premature to assume it's gone well for RIM.

As for the buzz around the Z10, that will have died down by the time it launches in the US, especially for the reasons I stated before - there will be newer handsets announced that people will be talking about by then.

You're correct that specs alone don't make for a great user experience.
    But people will still buy handsets because they've got 'better processors', 'better screens' etc - fullHD screens on 5" devices are almost certainly unnecessary, ditto for 13MP sensors on phones, yet that's the way the market is moving and if you don't keep up, you'll struggle.

Specs may not be the be-all and end-all but if you're seen to be behind the competition, people will be less likely to buy. It's like the megapixel race all over again, people never needed compact cameras with such high resolutions but once they're available, people assume they're better than models with fewer pixels.
    The one exception to the specs arm race is Apple but Blackberry can't rely on achieving the same as them, to do so would be commercial suicide - no other company can play by the same rules as Apple, even they're struggling a bit nowadays (as evidenced by being forced to increase the size of the iPhone's screen and release a smaller iPad).

Do you really think that the majority of people who buy smartphones do so to be 'productive' on?
    I don't see it myself, so I don't see the marketing being that effective - even Blackberry don't seem all that confident given that their (presumably ludicrously expensive) Superbowl ad had nothing to do with productivity.

As for the iPhone crowd who want something different but not Android, WP8 is already on the market, has already turned a few heads.
    If Blackberry get stuck in a dogfight with MS for the minority of customers who don't go for Android or iOS, I don't think they can win. MS alone have the financial wherewithal to out-last Blackberry and they have the support of companies like Nokia, HTC and even (to a small degree) Samsung - that's a pretty menacing line-up for one company to take on.

Logically you're correct but it's my opinion/gut feeling that Blackberry will fail.
    I said it before in the 'predictions for 2013' thread, I think they'll be gone in the not-too-distant future, 18 months tops.

You do realize, for that to happen their subscriber base would drastically have to shrink from near 80m users (may well be more if the Z10 is picked up by new subscribers)

Do you really see that happening? I mean when you really think about it? To put it in perspective, when everyone was saying RIM is dead, and weren't even releasing new hardware, they not only managed to hold on to their user base but added another 2 million to it.

The emerging markets are now a great place to do business, so much so that there is talk of Apple releasing a less powerful, cheaper iphone for that market. China, india, South East Asia, the Middle East, Brazil are massive markets now. BB already have a foothold in most of these regions.
  • Options
    hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart P wrote: »
    Did you even read that post? It could well be the issue was persistant with early-prototype/review units and early production models.

The one I played with in the EE shop was no more difficult to use in the same light as my iPhone 4 (that I personally see as a very good benchmark). Maybe not as vivid, but the brightness was certainly not a problem IMHO.

But again, it is a non-issue. It's a phone, not a computer. As long as I can comfortably read stuff up to 5 minutes at a time, what's the problem? It's the typical "jump-on-the-issue bandwagongate" just to place a large cross next to it. There's probably a batch out there not quite right, but that's no different to your Samsung, Apple or LG device. There's always dodgy batches and this is assuming that's the case and not the fact a lower quality screen was used.

Too many people are too demanding for perfection with wanting the latest/greatest by 0.1Ghz, or an extra core etc. 6 - 12 months will dictate Blackberry's future. Not a few fuzzy media reviews that will always put the iPhone as their biased number one.
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you even read that post?
    yep
    Out of our six, two have very bright displays, two are a little darker but still ok (good color temperature), and too are definitely not as bright as the rest, and a little more yellow.
    who knows what displays are from what batches. the author of that post certainly does not. what matters to some though is that there are varying displays with different colour temps out there on the z10. not an issue for you which is ok. but for me it is. am i demanding? definately. even more so when spending £500 on a phone that arrives with a display i consider to be sub par. it happened with both the 9900 i owned last year and also the iphone 4 before that. i swapped them out til i got a display i was happy with. i'll wait til the z10 is readily available with good online retailers and swap out again until i get a display i am happy with. for now the z10 with its yellowish display has gone back to cpw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The difference between webOS and BB is that webOS was coming from nowhere, BB does at least have a history of producing decent products.

I know of corporates that have dropped the iOS and Android solutions due to their not being sufficiently secure - which confirms what I previously understood, that while the MDM solutions for iOS and Android are secure, they're still not as secure as Blackberry.

Catch is that Blackberry aren't particularly good at marketing, so despite offering what appears to be a more secure solution - and a proven track record - will they be able to capitalise this? I'm sceptical - although hopeful.
    How do you figure webOS was "coming from nowhere"? Palm were still a massive brand at the point they announced webOS. Their Palm Treo and Centro smartphones were multi-million sellers worldwide, particularly in the US, but they were hardly unknown in Europe. The company had a rich history of producing PDAs and then smartphones, and they lost the lot. They took far too long producing a new OS, and by then their customer base had moved on. If anything there are a LOT of parallels with BlackBerry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    The emerging markets are now a great place to do business, so much so that there is talk of Apple releasing a less powerful, cheaper iphone for that market. China, india, South East Asia, the Middle East, Brazil are massive markets now. BB already have a foothold in most of these regions.

The vast majority of the public in the emerging markets can't afford a £500 smartphone. It's why the cheaper Android handsets do so well there. If BlackBerry do a much cheaper model, like some of their current old style handsets, then they might have a hit on their hands, but at £500, they're directly competing at the same price point as the iPhone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast majority of the public in the emerging markets can't afford a £500 smartphone. It's why the cheaper Android handsets do so well there. If BlackBerry do a much cheaper model, like some of their current old style handsets, then they might have a hit on their hands, but at £500, they're directly competing at the same price point as the iPhone.
    i'll just point to the Q10 (and there have been leaks of other models that take a cheaper design) with the BB10 range. The Z10 was released first as a benchmark in already established markets whilst they slowly decrease stock of their older handsets in the emerging markets. Hopefully by the time the Q10 and other models appear later this year, BB10 will be in full swing.

I personally think Apple and Google are reaching points where saturation within established markets is becoming more apparent (slowed growth) and new customers is decreasing as plenty of customers have older models of the same product, Blackberry have a chance to capture some of those moving away from those brands. No doubt Blackberry will get their #3 status back as Windows Phone is struggling to find vendors to produce cheaper phones to their high standards.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are going to introduce a low end bb10 handset for the emerging market. You;d also be surprised as quality of life goes up, there is a more affluent middle class in these countries there days. Everyone is not poor. Brazil, India for example, etc, their economies are booming and they are advancing in technology as well. India has a growing smart phone market and they seem to like their blackberries.

As for the masses in poorer countries, the really poor aren't going to be able to afford any phones for that matter. But these emerging markets have folk with money these days.

When I was following the build up to the Z10 launch, many of the app developers are from places like India, And South East Asian countries who are educated people and do have a decent source of income. They will probably do what everyone else does and save up for a phone. BB have strong bases in these countries. They spent last year pretty much touring the world doing roadshows in these places and are being very active getting the word across.

There is a lot of interest for BB phones in these new markets and they have stolen a march on Apple who aren't that big in much of the world due to their philosophy of only producing premium handsets. BB still ship a lot of older, cheaper models around the globe and that has in kept them in business at a time where they were losing traction in the western markets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    They are going to introduce a low end bb10 handset for the emerging market. You;d also be surprised as quality of life goes up, there is a more affluent middle class in these countries there days. Everyone is not poor. Brazil, India for example, etc, their economies are booming and they are advancing in technology as well. India has a growing smart phone market and they seem to like their blackberries.

As for the masses in poorer countries, the really poor aren't going to be able to afford any phones for that matter. But these emerging markets have folk with money these days.

When I was following the build up to the Z10 launch, many of the app developers are from places like India, And South East Asian countries who are educated people and do have a decent source of income. They will probably do what everyone else does and save up for a phone. BB have strong bases in these countries. They spent last year pretty much touring the world doing roadshows in these places and are being very active getting the word across.

There is a lot of interest for BB phones in these new markets and they have stolen a march on Apple who aren't that big in much of the world due to their philosophy of only producing premium handsets. BB still ship a lot of older, cheaper models around the globe and that has in kept them in business at a time where they were losing traction in the western markets.

I still think they're too slow here. It's been reported today that Thorsten Heins said the Q10 will be several weeks behind the Z10 - which indicates April roll out in Europe, but not until the Summer in the US. Presumably these cheaper handsets will follow on from the 2 models already announced. The roll-out just seems very slow for a company that's been working on its new OS and handsets for 2+ years.

Don't get me wrong, competition and choice is a great thing in the mobile space, but I'm really not sure BlackBerry have retained enough of their existing marketshare to turn this around quickly, and their roll-out of new devices seems too slow to build any momentum.

If they can change things, I'll be happy to see it. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think they're too slow here. It's been reported today that Thorsten Heins said the Q10 will be several weeks behind the Z10 - which indicates April roll out in Europe, but not until the Summer in the US. Presumably these cheaper handsets will follow on from the 2 models already announced. The roll-out just seems very slow for a company that's been working on its new OS and handsets for 2+ years.
    You're trying to come up with any reason to knock Blackberry here. Nokia's latest Lumias took 2 months to come out after release. Samsung SIII took 4 weeks. Blackberry have done right to push out their flagship phone first. That's where the profit is going to be in their first quarter of the new platform and the Q10 will add supplementary sales. To release two phones at the same time would of been a feat but impossible. I'm pretty sure no-one else has done the same.

The OS has been taken that time (plus 6 months to ensure apps were ready to go on launch) to prepare from the ground up. This is no Android launch where the OS is pretty much there ready to go. With a fully integrated product (like Apple's), it takes time. Again, expecting too much.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »

By who? Armchair experts?!

I had a play with one today and it was horrible. Its actually worse than i thought!! Feels a bit cheap and tacky, BB10 itself is a bit meh. Not that great . Granted i only had a 2 min play and i guess no long enough to really judge, but from that, i dont like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you even read that post? It could well be the issue was persistant with early-prototype/review units and early production models.

The one I played with in the EE shop was no more difficult to use in the same light as my iPhone 4 (that I personally see as a very good benchmark). Maybe not as vivid, but the brightness was certainly not a problem IMHO.

But again, it is a non-issue. It's a phone, not a computer. As long as I can comfortably read stuff up to 5 minutes at a time, what's the problem? It's the typical "jump-on-the-issue bandwagongate" just to place a large cross next to it. There's probably a batch out there not quite right, but that's no different to your Samsung, Apple or LG device. There's always dodgy batches and this is assuming that's the case and not the fact a lower quality screen was used.

Too many people are too demanding for perfection with wanting the latest/greatest by 0.1Ghz, or an extra core etc. 6 - 12 months will dictate Blackberry's future. Not a few fuzzy media reviews that will always put the iPhone as their biased number one.

The iphone 4 is a terrible benchmark!! The 4 screen is dull, colourless and the brightness blows on it. Was the same on the 4S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The iphone 4 is a terrible benchmark!! The 4 screen is dull, colourless and the brightness blows on it. Was the same on the 4S.
    Got no problems here with it. And a calibration site who extensively review LCDs had very little issues to raise in testing at the time.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_4_ShootOut.htm

Anyway, it isn't a TV/LCD monitor. There's reasons why they're calibrated in certain ways. You're not exactly staring at it for hours on end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're trying to come up with any reason to knock Blackberry here. Nokia's latest Lumias took 2 months to come out after release. Samsung SIII took 4 weeks. Blackberry have done right to push out their flagship phone first. That's where the profit is going to be in their first quarter of the new platform and the Q10 will add supplementary sales. To release two phones at the same time would of been a feat but impossible. I'm pretty sure no-one else has done the same.

The OS has been taken that time (plus 6 months to ensure apps were ready to go on launch) to prepare from the ground up. This is no Android launch where the OS is pretty much there ready to go. With a fully integrated product (like Apple's), it takes time. Again, expecting too much.

Whilst it might seem relatively quick to you. RIM (as it was then) announced it was buying QNX back in 2010, and then announced BBX (now known as BlackBerry 10) in October of 2011. So that's 15 months from announcing the OS to actually putting a device out. A year is a very long time in mobile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got no problems here with it. And a calibration site who extensively review LCDs had very little issues to raise in testing at the time.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_4_ShootOut.htm

Anyway, it isn't a TV/LCD monitor. There's reasons why they're calibrated in certain ways. You're not exactly staring at it for hours on end.

Actually, some people do stare at them for hours!!

The same site also shows it as having "Good Images, Photos and Videos have too little color and too much contrast" which is what i experienced.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst it might seem relatively quick to you. RIM (as it was then) announced it was buying QNX back in 2010, and then announced BBX (now known as BlackBerry 10) in October of 2011. So that's 15 months from announcing the OS to actually putting a device out. A year is a very long time in mobile.
    It is, but it's been worth it. As I said, it's an integrated platform. That's why it took that much time to hit the ground running as it was essentially a brand new OS that had to be built on top of the QNX kernel (different to the graphical layer we all see and interact with). That's different to announcement and initial release of the device that I was talking about. In this 15 months, they still were updating and released their final hardware of BB7 (Bold 99xx series).

Technically, not been out of the game at all. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, some people do stare at them for hours!!

The same site also shows it as having "Good Images, Photos and Videos have too little color and too much contrast" which is what i experienced.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
    Pity them if they have nothing better to do than stare at the phone and not use it as a phone for hours on end eh? :rolleyes:

I think I remember you being anti-Apple before. Anyway, nice to bump into you again. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pity them if they have nothing better to do than stare at the phone and not use it as a phone for hours on end eh? :rolleyes:

I think I remember you being anti-Apple before. Anyway, nice to bump into you again. :p

Oh dear....

Always descends into the same bollocks when anyone says anything against apple....I had a 4S. I'm simply saying the screen is crap which it is. That's not being anti apple...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear....

Always descends into the same bollocks when anyone says anything against apple....I had a 4S. I'm simply saying the screen is crap which it is. That's not being anti apple...
    It is because you haven't been constructive in your critism. And don't tell me I'm a fanboi because I refuse to buy the cheap looking iPhone 5 and my iPhone 4 will be going as soon as the contract is up as the call quality/connection has got worse. :p