MKR New Zealand - starts 11 Jan. on Sky Living

cikacika Posts: 3,936
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking forward to this. No idea who the judges are and daren't Google because of spoilers but I hope they're more charismatic than the MasterChef NZ judges!

Comments

• alr837alr837 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed! Had a quick search - not seen any spoilers, but some don't think the judges are friendly/ nice enough, we shall have to wait and see!
  • LilAbbyLilAbby Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I really liked the judges. They're Ben Bayly and Gareth Stewart. I've seen season 1 and have season 2 to watch.

Really enjoyed it. :)

Link here with absolutely no info about the outcome. http://mkrnz.co.nz/judges
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    LilAbby wrote: »
    I really liked the judges. They're Ben Bayly and Gareth Stewart. I've seen season 1 and have season 2 to watch.

Unfortunately, if you look through the site you will suddenly come across the outcome!
    Forum Member
    gerry23 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if you look through the site you will suddenly come across the outcome!

Yes, if you search, of course you will. The page I linked to doesn't show anything though, and that is the point really. I assumed cika didn't want to google in case any spoilers showed up in the results page.
  • cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilAbby wrote: »

Thanks for that LilAbby - sounds promising. You're right about the Googling - I never do in case there's a spoiler on the results page before I've even got to a site or page, which has happened in the past.
    Forum Member
    You're welcome Cika. Hope you enjoy it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this already - ingredients I've never heard of and wish I could taste. It'll take me a while to tune my ear into the NZ accent though!
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening :-)

I'm a bit late to the party but it seems like a good show so far. I'm liking the judges too. However....."I don't eat meat" What? How on earth is she going to judge the food others cook if she won't eat meat?

I missed their entree but it sounds as though it went down a storm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Evening :-)

I'm a bit late to the party but it seems like a good show so far. I'm liking the judges too. However....."I don't eat meat" What? How on earth is she going to judge the food others cook if she won't eat meat?

I missed their entree but it sounds as though it went down a storm.

Evening, Tess-g, nice to 'see' you!

Yes, everyone rated the starter, some reluctantly.

Doesn't seem much of a reason for not eating red meat, though. I suppose she'll be guided by her partner on marking but she could be in trouble if they get through and she ever has to cook on her own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »
    Evening, Tess-g, nice to 'see' you!

Yes, everyone rated the starter, some reluctantly.

Doesn't seem much of a reason for not eating red meat, though. I suppose she'll be guided by her partner on marking but she could be in trouble if they get through and she ever has to cook on her own.
    Nice to 'see' you too.

She did at least try a tiddly bit. Not that she could taste much I imagine with all that szechuan pepper.

Great first course, not so great main and poor dessert (;-)) by the looks of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...the judges disagree with the other guests about dessert. 71 is a good score.

Sam and Dan are going to annoy me, I can feel it already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...the judges disagree with the other guests about dessert. 71 is a good score.

Sam and Dan are going to annoy me, I can feel it already.

Good start.

Sam and Dan being set up for a fall, do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »
    Good start.

Sam and Dan being set up for a fall, do you think?
    I can but hope :D

See you next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can but hope :D

See you next time.

:D

Off to watch MC USA, which will seem unnecessarily frantic after that but I've started so I have to finish.
  • coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First ever time I have watched any of the MKR series ( don't judge me! :D)

I enjoyed it - I'm still trying to get to grips with the rules and the concept, if someone could enlighten me please?

Don't want to google in case I hit some spoilers and also if I get into it I would want to watch the past series'.

Many thanks in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    First ever time I have watched any of the MKR series ( don't judge me! :D)

I enjoyed it - I'm still trying to get to grips with the rules and the concept, if someone could enlighten me please?

Don't want to google in case I hit some spoilers and also if I get into it I would want to watch the past series'.

Many thanks in advance.

Oooh, you should try and catch MKR Australia - Real Lives are rerunning it in the mornings if you can watch or record it and I think they're just finishing Series 3 and going straight on to 4.

The first round is instant restaurants, where couples cook for the other couples, usually in two groups and are scored as you saw last night. They have three hours to cook but how long they have to shop seems to depend on them, although it has to be done the same day. They're usually split into two groups, presumably because the whole mob would be too many to cook for, and the lowest scoring pair are eliminated - for MKR Oz they sometimes change that and they lowest scoring few pairs get a second chance.

If it follows the same pattern as Oz, they'll then have rounds where they cook for various events or cook street food or cook for children - some kind of mass catering with a specific brief - and are usually judged on whose food is most popular (People's Choice), with the worst pair being sent to Sudden Death by the judges. Then there's a round in the MKR kitchen to decide the second pair to go to Sudden Death. That elimination round is judged by guest judges as well as the resident judges and one couple goes home.

Rinse and repeat until the final, which for the Oz version is cooking a five course meal for judges, eliminated contestants and family. I imagine the NZ version doesn't vary too much but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong and be able to enlighten us about the NZ version more.

Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening peeps!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening! You found us :D

Will their be any criticism that they have ravioli on the menu but are serving tortellini?

I feel my annoyance levels are going to be through the roof by the end of their IR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did, already got people getting on my wick! Lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

I'm all behind this evening (stop giggling) - just about to start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Potentially two cocky young men but short on experience" Yup that sums them up.

Oh.....my mistake, I was sure they were talking about ravioli :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening! You found us :D

Will their be any criticism that they have ravioli on the menu but are serving tortellini?

I feel my annoyance levels are going to be through the roof by the end of their IR.

I'm two minutes in and I already want to send both of them to bed without supper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding some of the comments a little sexist/ageist though, and some of the "queen" comments
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alr837 wrote: »
    Finding some of the comments a little sexist/ageist though, and some of the "queen" comments
    I agree and I'm surprised at the number of times the bleeper has had to be used too. Steph could be swearing every other word for all I know though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alr837 wrote: »

It surprises me how often that seems to happen - MKR isn't the only culprit. But I think living where I do and keeping the company I do I probably live in a bit of a bubble. There are a lot of people out there who believe in stereotypes, it seems.

Just the one doorbell for all New Zealand and Australia, then...