Will ipad 2 Charge from Desktop?

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have lost my plug from my ipad 2 and have put the lead into my desktop but on the top hand right side its telling me its not Charging.

So how can i get my desktop to Charge it?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think there is enough power from a normal USB port to charge something with a large battery like the iPad. It would take ages anyway. You need an adapter delivering 12W.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some PCs do output enough power via USB, but not all. My old PC could charge my iPad 2 and 3. But, if it won't charge it won't charge.

You don't need 12W, either. The charger included with the iPad 1, 2, and 3 was a 10W charger. It's only with the iPad 4 that Apple started including a 12W charger.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPads will charge from 5W upwards. You can, for example, use an iPhone charger to charge an iPad.

Just to expand on what Matt said, there was an add-on to the USB specifications agreed a couple of years ago allowing USB ports to supply more power for charging devices so some modern computers (the new standard isn't implemented on all computers) will be able to charge an iPad.

My 3 year old Dell notebook doesn't charge my 3rd generation iPad, but my work 1 year old work Thinkpad does.
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why does it say its not Charging?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    So why does it say its not Charging?

Because it's not supplying enough power for the iPad to charge.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say if this will work for you, but I have used a USB mains adapter that when used said 'not charging' but when left plugged in and not used the battery was charged very slowly. So if you if leave it plugged in you my be ok (until you can get a new mains adapter )
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nexus 7 charges on USB from my desktop PC but its much slower than charging it from the mains.

Darren
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all your help guys.

i left it in for a few hours and it did it but very slowly.

so that will do till i get a new plug.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Will probably get more power through using the ports on the back of the pc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    The only guaranteed difference between different USB sockets on a computer are if some are USB2 and others are USB3. USB2 must be able to deliver 2.5W when asked to, whereas USB3 must be able to deliver 3.75W. Dedicated charging-only USB sockets are quite different and usually designed to deliver much more power. There is some crossover between the two with some USB data and power ports designed to also deliver more power, but your standard computer USB socket is unlikely to be one of those.

Assuming your iPad is receiving some charge from the computer, even if only 2.5W (which will therefore take some time to charge its 25 watt-hour battery), the main thing is to ensure that while charging it, the iPad itself is using as little power itself as possible. If the iPad is "on" with the screen lit, is likely to be using close to 2.5W of power itself so it is no wonder it would say it isn't charging from a standard USB2 port which is only able to deliver 2.5W.

Turn it off (actually, put it into standby) and leave it overnight and it should be fully charged the next day. Or nearly fully charged, depending on how drained it was and how long you sleep for.