iPhone 6 and iOS 7 reportedly in development, expected to release in mid-2013

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    My point regarding Samsung is that they produce a HUGE range of products. If their phone market fails they still have TVs, Fridges, Stereos, components, air conditioners, medical equipment etc etc etc. Have a look on their main website and its quite scary the range of stuff they are involved in.

In the main I agree, but it does just sound like Sony five years ago. I have no idea how many of there diverse businesses make a profit.

Apple have always focused on a fairly narrow number of activities and to date it hasn't done them any harm and with a $100bn+ in cash reserves, if things get desperate they can always buy.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    But this is the problem, Samsung are already present in those markets and have market share to lose. If Apple as rumoured expand in t the TV market they WILL take sales from Samsung.

There is a huge electronic/technology market Apple have yet to tap into, the potential is huge for Apple.

but my point is that phones might be 5% of Samsungs profit, TVs might be the same, as might components (figures made up/assumed). If they completely fail in any one or two or three areas then they have others to fall back on.....

Saying that Apple have a huge untapped market in 'electronic/technology' is like saying that Samsung have a huge untapped market in food production.

The TV market is an odd one and it will be interesting to see what Apple do with it. There are already high res TVs (higher res than can be used in the home). There are already Smart TVs. There are already TVs that can be controlled by gesture. Im genuinely interested to see what Apple can do in that market. I do wonder if they have left things 5 years too late ..... but maybe they will come up with something groundbreaking and surprise us all. :)
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but my point is that phones might be 5% of Samsungs profit, TVs might be the same, as might components (figures made up/assumed). If they completely fail in any one or two or three areas then they have others to fall back on.....

Saying that Apple have a huge untapped market in 'electronic/technology' is like saying that Samsung have a huge untapped market in food production.

The TV market is an odd one and it will be interesting to see what Apple do with it. There are already high res TVs (higher res than can be used in the home). There are already Smart TVs. There are already TVs that can be controlled by gesture. Im genuinely interested to see what Apple can do in that market. I do wonder if they have left things 5 years too late ..... but maybe they will come up with something groundbreaking and surprise us all. :)

What the hell?LMAO...

What do Samsung know about the food production storage and sales market? Apple have previous and current knowledge of the technology market.
    Forum Member
    What the hell?LMAO...

What do Samsung know about the food production storage and sales market? Apple have previous and current knowledge of the technology market.

I didnt realise that Apple had built TVs and Hifis before ? :p

My example was a flippant one .... :D

seriously though....

Samsung (and subsiduaries) were in 2010 -
    the worlds second largest shipbuilder
    the worlds 14th largest Life Insurance company
    the worlds 35th and 72nd largest construction companies
    the worlds 19th largest advertising agency

plus a major player in the weapons business and many many more

(source wikepedia)

they are a seriously diverse company ......

On the other hand Apple manage the production (by third parties) of a relatively small range of products.

Not a criticism of the business model at all - its obviously worked very well - im just highlighting the differences between the companies.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell?LMAO...

Samsung manufacture restaurant equipment and other industrial food equipment. They also have a Samsung Hotel complete with restaurant, bar and bakery so I imagine they know a fair bit. :)
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Samsung manufacture restaurant equipment and other industrial food equipment. They also have a Samsung Hotel complete with restaurant, bar and bakery so I imagine they know a fair bit. :)

exactly :)

the point i was making was that Apple apparently make 48% of their money from their Phone business - thats a lot of eggs in one basket .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the point i was making was that Apple apparently make 48% of their money from their Phone business - thats a lot of eggs in one basket .....

Samsung electronics get 70% income from mobile.

The other companies in the samsung conglomerate are not there to support the electronics business.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Over half of Samsungs "money" comes from their phone business. Samsung's LCD-TV division lost $1billion last year.

So what better? A fewer number of products that all make good profits, or a larger number of products some of which lose up to $1billion?

All large company's are struggling or taking a hit in one way or another simply due to the current large worldwide economic down turn.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Samsung electronics get 70% income from mobile.

The other companies in the samsung conglomerate are not there to support the electronics business.

ahhh so the Samsung subsiduary thats main purpose is to produce consumer electronics gets most of its money from Phones ......

shocking :rolleyes:

Id be interested to know what the overall percentage of Samsungs income is from phones ....

Samsung Heavy Industries made (for example) $243 million in Q3 2012 alone.
    Samsung Life insurance made a net profit of $1.7 billion in 2011

you really cant have sensible discussions with some people .... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ahhh so the Samsung subsiduary thats main purpose is to produce consumer electronics gets most of its money from Phones ......

shocking :rolleyes:

Id be interested to know what the overall percentage of Samsungs income is from phones ....

Samsung Heavy Industries made (for example) $243 million in Q3 2012 alone.
    Samsung Life insurance made a net profit of $1.7 billion in 2011

you really cant have sensible discussions with some people .... :eek:

I'm happy to have a sensible discussion.

If you are implying that there is some sort of cross business relationship between samsung electronics and samsung heavy industries, you are wrong.

You pointed out the apple (and electronics company) make 48% income from mobile. Samsung electronics (an electronics company) make 70% from mobile.

Do you think if samsung electronics business struggles that SHI will bail it out, if you do, you know very little about large scale business.
    Forum Member
    I'm happy to have a sensible discussion.

If you are implying that there is some sort of cross business relationship between samsung electronics and samsung heavy industries, you are wrong.

You pointed out the apple (and electronics company) make 48% income from mobile. Samsung electronics (an electronics company) make 70% from mobile.

Do you think if samsung electronics business struggles that SHI will bail it out, if you do, you know very little about large scale business.

I was talking Samsung. You were talking Samsung Electronics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was talking Samsung. You were talking Samsung Electronics.

But you wanted a sensible discussion. What relevance do you think samsung group has to the performance of samsung electronics?
    Forum Member
    But you wanted a sensible discussion. What relevance do you think samsung group has to the performance of samsung electronics?

Samsung is made up of many subsidiaries. fact.
    Those subsidiaries produce a very wide variety of products and sevices. fact.

Apple is made up of a few subsidiaries. fact.
    Apples subsidiaries are focused on a smaller range of products and services. fact.

Neither business is going to go bust any time soon. fact.

What would happen if one part of either company 'failed' neither you or I know. fact.

Im not sure what is being disputed here ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung is made up of many subsidiaries. fact.
    Those subsidiaries produce a very wide variety of products and sevices. fact.

Apple is made up of a few subsidiaries. fact.
    Apples subsidiaries are focused on a smaller range of products and services. fact.

Neither business is going to go bust any time soon. fact.

What would happen if one part of either company 'failed' neither you or I know. fact.

Im not sure what is being disputed here ?

It's very simple. You stated that the fact that samsung is a diverse company in some way protected it from the vulnerable state of the mobile market. Now, unless you have an interest in ship building, the samsung group provides no protection to the electronics business and therefore in the market e are Tlingit about samsung is no better or worse than apple (although they are getting 70% income from mobile).

You are right, both are very safe companies. I don't know why bring up other completely separate legal entities had to do with the mobile phone business.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    So is this post pure troll bait or were you extremely drunk when you stated the worlds biggest and most profitable company is heading to its death?

:D I assume that is some poor attempt at humour coming from you?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that you have a bigger working area with 4:3 than you do with 16:9. If people stop fixating on the throwaway executive/spreadsheets theoretical example and think about the uses that OTHER PEOPLE might have for their tablets (basic word processing, viewing and editing photographs, web surfing etc), unless you're completely arrogant you'll be able to see that 16:9 is not the be all and end all "best" form factor for all scenarios.

Switch to portrait? Since when have I surfed the internet on a portrait monitor? Since when have I watched portrait video content?

The resolution on these devices is so high now that even at the lowest zoom level the text is still readable in landscape, so even if one of the above posters was correct about not surfing with the keyboard up at all times (which is a valid point), you're still restricting how much content is on the page (width isn't an issue, but height...).

What I appear to find on these forums specifically (especially when compared to XDA-Devs, MacRumours etc) that posters here are incredibly short sighted when it comes to things that don't directly affect them and are completely unable (or more likely, unwilling) to see the bigger picture.

You do waffle on you really do ... not seen your drawings but if it makes you happy the 4:3 ipad shows more screen with the keyboard up ok?

Perhaps you can make similar arguments when you buy your 4:3 apple TV ;)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I think you're right. As far as I am aware even a hard reset doesn't kill them.

(A minute later)

Just tried it and as I thought, it doesn't, which seems a bit silly to me.

Those apps in the tray on iOS aren't consuming any battery or RAM though, so why kill them all? Thats why hard resetting didn't kill them, because they only ever existed on the solid state disc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will keep rolling out the gaLAZY range with various S pens and the like. The S-Tards will run out to buy it with joyous excitement whilst shouting how they aren't sheep, they're different . Whilst at the same time shouting how there Android phones are the best selling in the world. Yeah you don't blindly follow the herd do ya,,,,, DUhhh

What is the stupid galaxy insult about? Are you saying they aren't innovating as much as stagnating Apple?
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Those apps in the tray on iOS aren't consuming any battery or RAM though, so why kill them all? Thats why hard resetting didn't kill them, because they only ever existed on the solid state disc.

I understand that, but there are a few reasons why one might want to clear the tray. For one there have been problems in the past with apps misbehaving in the background. Two, I have a number of apps I regularly use that continue to work in the background (apart from the Apple apps also TomTom, Waze, Downcast etc. etc.) and if I particularly want to conserve battery for some reason it would be nice to have a single kill. Thirdly, the tray gets rather cluttered and I make heavy use of it for launching recently used apps, nice to tidy it up from time to time.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I've explained to you before, that is not the case.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61295089&postcount=19
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »

In fact just to follow up on that.
    whoever,hey made a comment in the original posting where he slated IOS for not true multitasking, but it's the very nature of IOS's multitasking that brings the benefit that you don't really have to worry about what is running in the background. It's sufficiently multitasking to all intents and purposes to appear like multitasking, but without the downside of constantly having to monitor tasks if you want to preserve your battery.
    I agree it's a bit of a pain to developers to have to manage their multitasking activities but IMO it's worth the pain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »

Sitting there waiting for events is not running in the background consuming battery.

There are guidelines saying you shouldn't run in the background unless there are very good reasons for it, such as an audio app.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have exposed a special technique of some posters on this forum. They will make an ill informed statement (I expect they hear it from a friend), will then be presented with facts, and the defence mechanism is to ignore your post. Get use to it:)

This may amuse you:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61995507&postcount=27

The person in the link started a thread about Samsung's marketshare, using a 9to5Google link with a report by Strategic Analytics as the source.

Later on in the thread they claimed that Apple had a "falling market share, and thus falling profits"...

... this was despite their own source from their original post clearly showing that Apple's sales and Apple's marketshare had increased. I pointed this out and received no reply.
    swordman wrote: »
    The writing is on the wall only the die hards can fail to see it. Granted the faithful will remain until the death and apple will try desperately to change things by inventing new things such as bigger screens and NFC etc but the malaise had set it I'm afraid.
    swordman wrote: »
    Peaks in certain markets don't mean too much I'm afraid. Much of that seems to be sails of older models which people seem to be choosng over the 5, in a market they have always been strong in but that's yanks for you.

Apple as well as market analysts have cut their forecast for i5 sales worldwide all very upsetting.

Dooooomed I tell you

How does an increase in worldwide sales compared to the same quarter the previous year, and an increase in worldwide marketshare compared to the same quarter the previous year, mean that "the writing is on the wall" or that Apple is "Dooooomed"?

You are correct. The market is still growing massively and Apples sales are still growing.

Its the market share that is falling. Many people mis-quote this as being a fall in sales.

According to the IDC link I posted previously, Apple's share has increased. Not as much as Android's, but still an increase.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23771812#.UO3VJonKdFR

As I said before, it will be interesting when the next quarterly results are out, as we can see if the iPhone 5 has helped much or not.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good thing about the iPhone is that it inspires everyone else.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/samsungs-new-eight-core-exynos-5-octa-soc-promises-efficiency/
    A main smartphone reason(I can't quite see this appearing in the S4) for a 'stupid 8 cores' is to run them at a low speed to further improve battery life.

I guess when Apple bring their new CPU out there will again be so little data that reviewers will just resort to creative writing.

My take on that Apple A6 was that it was simply a Cortex A9 with extra licensed features as per the options ARM officially give. By Apple saying nothing reviewers resort to 'making it up' so mayb be the same with the A7 if they get there.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    One good thing about the iPhone is that it inspires everyone else.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/samsungs-new-eight-core-exynos-5-octa-soc-promises-efficiency/
    A main smartphone reason for a 'stupid 8 cores' is to run them at a low speed to further improve battery life.

I guess when Apple bring their new CPU out there will again be so little data that reviewers will just resort to creative writing.

My take on that Apple A6 was that it was simply a Cortex A9 with extra licensed features as per the options ARM officially give. By Apple saying nothing reviewers resort to 'making it up' so mayb be the same with the A7 if they get there.

Looks very impressive I agree. However, it's not Apple's way to trumpet the specs of their processors. I suspect this is deliberate since their closely coupled integration between the hardware and software means they can achieve more with less, so to advertise their specs would be negative advertising as most of the tech world immediately leaps on specs without considering what the total package is capable of.