TV always showing rubbish?

13»

Comments

• daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Personally, I beleive that it all boils down to that five letter word MONEY here!! TV Execs just dont want to spend their money on GOOD QUALITY programming when making acquistion deals!!

Yet, in Australia, who, by and large, has less cable/satelite channels than we do, gets EVERYTHING!! They have all the US talk shows, both daytime and late night, and even gets them 24 hours after the original airtime showing in the USA!! And yet, we are on a 2-3 week delay before we get an Ellen Degeneres Show for example!! Mind you, thats the only one we get anyway, other than the Wendy Williams Show on BET!! I think, although I am not certain about this, but Australia even gets the US Breakfast shows as well, like NBC Today, Good Morning America and CBS This Morning!!

AND YET WE IN LITTLE OLE PUNY CHEAPSKATE BRITAIN GETS NOTHING!!!!:mad::mad:

This made me lol as Australian tv is far, far worse than British tv. Awful, just awful.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Weather Channel is useful, because farmers and other food producers view that channel in the USA in order to guage crop production value for Wall Street to monitor stocks and markets and also it gives valuable information about tornadoes, hurricanes, snowstorms, and other extreme weather conditions, locally and nationally, for such things as travel, albeit air, rail, road or water!! Forewarned is forearmed as they say!!:D

We have nothing like that in the UK

http://www.farmersguide.co.uk/page.aspx?p=20

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Weather/National.aspx

http://www.ukagriculture.com/weather.cfm

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx2;sess=

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=cf47#.UZU7jMrW5mM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/cf47

Makes you wonder how they manage to grow a bag of spuds :rolleyes:
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Whilst all channels are filled with a lot of rubbish*, there is still collectively more than enough good stuff to satisfy the majority of viewers I would think.
    That's why we have PVRs. To assemble your own channel of the best, so you can simply avoid all the rest.

*as in whatever the particular viewer perceives as rubbish.

Couldn't agree more, there's plenty of good stuff on, my PVR contains hundreds of hours of good TV - more than enough, if you look around.

Probably more good - as well as bad - stuff than ever.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Yeah, because we have a Godawfull thing called a TV Licence rammed down our throats, that we are virtually held at gunpoint to pay!!!

British TV programming is by land large utter cheap crap!!!

Those two statements are wrong on so many levels.

I just phoned up TVL, that was all!

And british TV has some great programming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    i find that its more the case of tv company finds something that seems to work and play it to death. or have the same people on every time

I always joke saying the reason why ITV have ant and dec on so much is because thats the only way for them to show a pair of tits before the 9pm watershead
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    Anyone who has SKY can not say that all channels show rubbish.
    There is some real quality drama out there. All American mind but drama like American Horror Story, Dexter, Walking Dead, Bates Motel, Hannibal, True Blood are not rubbish.
    Even trash tv like The Real Housewives is entertaining to me. The amount I pay for SKY is well worth it IMO.

Yes FOX is a decent channel. But there's a real lack of quality US imports weather there's less being made I don't know?

Sky1 use to be decent but now it's watered down. Channels like Dave, Challenge, ITV2 are all FTA anyway.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You'll find plenty of good programming if you have the patience to look for it, far more on TV than Netflix unless you prefer tat and tut American junk.

Has the OP tried reading a book when bored ?

But most of the stuff on Tv is based on American programmes anyway, look at all this music crap that is on, the voice, pop idol, X-factor. all based on American shows.

Big brother on channel five, not British, i think it is Canadian.

There is a lot of American stuff on Netflix, and a lot of older British stuff, but it suits me as there is still a lot I have not seen. I am not and never have been a big TV watcher, i prefer to read.
    Netflix does what I want, I can watch what I want when I like and don't have to wait for a certain time or day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest of us just use google...

i use Duck duck Go, or i just use the metoffice website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has SKY can not say that all channels show rubbish.
    There is some real quality drama out there. All American mind but drama like American Horror Story, Dexter, Walking Dead, Bates Motel, Hannibal, True Blood are not rubbish.
    Even trash tv like The Real Housewives is entertaining to me. The amount I pay for SKY is well worth it IMO.

The problem is with Sky, you got to pay a minimum of £21, maybe more now and then you got to shift through a load of rubbish to find something decent and then when you do find it, you still got to wait until it is broadcast.

there is nothing above in your post that I would watch to be honest.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    The problem is with Sky, you got to pay a minimum of £21, maybe more now and then you got to shift through a load of rubbish to find something decent and then when you do find it, you still got to wait until it is broadcast.

there is nothing above in your post that I would watch to be honest.

So because you wouldn't watch it it's crap?
    Like I said, I feel it's well worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So because you wouldn't watch it it's crap?

I never said that, I said i would not watch it. there is a difference.
    Like I said, I feel it's well worth it.

That is fine then. anyway if I think something is crap then to me it is crap, no doubt there are things I watch that you think is crap.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I long for the good old days pre 1972.

3 channels.

BBC1 and ITV not on air till 4'45pm BBC2 not on air till 7.30pm.

So many good programmes then.

Now we have hundreds of channels on 24 hours a day and not enough talent, or big enough programme budgets to make anything worth watching.

News Channel tends to be my default option, so at least I know what is going on in the world.
    I don't. Most of it was :yawn: TV has never been so good. Dramas from this Country and the US have far bigger budgets today so what you are saying is nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't. Most of it was :yawn: TV has never been so good. Dramas from this Country and the US have far bigger budgets today so what you are saying is nonsense.

I think things was better then, If there was nothing on TV to watch then people would talk to each other. We used to play games like monopoly, Mouse trap, wildlife and also cards.

Now people will watch anything and just sit there, even if it is rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I think things was better then, If there was nothing on TV to watch then people would talk to each other. We used to play games like monopoly, Mouse trap, wildlife and also cards.

Now people will watch anything and just sit there, even if it is rubbish.[/QUOTE]No that is what people used to do because their wasn't much choice. If people are choosing to watch more TV that is telling you that most people disagree with you.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is because the 'lower' quality programmes are so over hyped, advertised, and everything else, that people just watch to see what all the fuss is about ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Or is because the 'lower' quality programmes are so over hyped, advertised, and everything else, that people just watch to see what all the fuss is about ?
    No it is because you have rose tinted spectacles. Dramas are certainly better made than they used to be.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tv choices will improve gradually,
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC One doing no favours tonight with the rubbish on for quite a few hours tonight :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC One doing no favours tonight with the rubbish on for quite a few hours tonight :(
    You mean a contest that has been televised for years? BBC One isn't the only channel available you know?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main ITV channel has improved since the noughties. Yes they still show some appalling trash in daytime and a lot of their entertainment shows are rubbish, but their drama, factual, news coverage and sport is a lot better than it was. Also cutting down on reality shows has been a good decision as surely only the most avid reader of HEAT magazine could say Love Island was a better show than Downton Abbey.
    However, Channel 4 is absolute rubbish now, it just seems to be filled with the same few shows on a loop and apart from racing and the paralympics, I don't see any other reason to watch it.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I used to watch a lot of telly now I barely watch anything maybe the odd show at night but in the 90s I'd come home from school and be glued to it till I went to bed. Similar pattern ensued till about the mid 00s when it seemed reality shows filled up most of the schedules.