Would you support the idea of a black actor playing James Bond?

Comments

• Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I would rather stick my head in a hornets nest than see Idris Elba as Bond.
    If you do make sure you film it and put it on YouTube. Could do with a good laugh.

Regards

Mark
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    No no no no no no. Bond is a white hetrosexual male and should remain so. That's the way Fleming wrote him and thats the way he should stay. If someone wants a black or any other ethnic type, straight or gay, then let them develope a new character. LEAVE BOND ALONE !
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather stick my head in a hornets nest than see Idris Elba as Bond.

Is this due to a dislike of Idris himself, a desire not to see a black Bond, or a penchant for severe facial insect sting injuries?
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    The bond films have often veered away from the books in far more significant ways than the colour of the main character's skin. I don't really see why it matters.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I'd rather have a black Bond anyday than an American Bond! That'd be my worst nightmare!
    IIRC Tom Cruise desperately wanted to be Bond, but the producers declined his offer.

Cruise then set up the M:I franchise to satisfy his secret agent needs (and take a large cut of the profits).
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see any issue with this at all. It's just pigmentation at the end of the day.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    If you do make sure you film it and put it on YouTube. Could do with a good laugh.

Regards

Mark

Sometimes I wish I could "like" comments on DS. I sure did like that one :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a black bond. As long as he can act and comes across as a British gentleman, I can't see the problem.

My only constraint is that they only use someone from a native English country except America. For some reason, I can't see an American actor being able to portray the 'British Gentleman' very well as I'm not sure if they would understand that type of demeanour. But maybe I am underestimating our cousins across the pond :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Don't see any issue with this at all. It's just pigmentation at the end of the day.
    KidMoe wrote: »
    The bond films have often veered away from the books in far more significant ways than the colour of the main character's skin. I don't really see why it matters.

A suntan would be pigmentation, a person of African features is of a different racial make-up completely. Wouldn't that affect how Bond's heritage has been previously established? Like having a Chinese or Asian actor for example? I'm not closed to the idea, I'm playing devil's advocate.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    Is this due to a dislike of Idris himself, a desire not to see a black Bond, or a penchant for severe facial insect sting injuries?

None of the above. I just can't see Elba as Bond. He's a round peg, trying to fit into a square hole. Salmon I always thought would be a better choice.

I don't really care about keeping true to the ethnicity of the character myself, but I do care about having the right feel.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you get down to it, Bond is a British Civil Servant. His grade is G7 (it was called Principal in Ian Fleming's day).

I was a Higher Executive Officer when Bond books were being published. I was phoned up by personnel and asked whether I would fill a clerical assistant vacancy (the lowest grade) with a man named Wilkins. The personnel officer said on the phone in a hushed tone 'I had better warn you before you see him, we were misled by the name, he's as black as your hat'.
    Not much chance of a black G7 in those days I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.... however, given that Jason Bourne would kick James Bonds proverbial posterior into another Universe, wouldn't a better option be to play Bourne rather than the uber-infeminite Bond ?

I doubt whether the Producers would every sanction a black leading actor in the role of Bond... despite Colin Salmon and Jeffrey Wright offering superlative performances throughout Pierse Brosnans and Daniel Craigs Bond Movies.

Of course - Michell Yeoh could also have kicked Bonds posterior in "Tomorrow Never Dies".
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a Black Bond would feel weird to me, but having a black 008 join Craig (as Bond) in the next 007 movie, well that would be kinda cool. - then if the movie rocked the box office they could bring out a new spin-off franchise following the exploits of 008. QED. :)
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Short answer: yes. As long as they were a decent, charismatic actor.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't actively support the idea of a black Bond, but if a British black actor could play the role with more charm and charisma than Daniel Craig, I wouldn't be against it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the above. I just can't see Elba as Bond. He's a round peg, trying to fit into a square hole. Salmon I always thought would be a better choice.

I don't really care about keeping true to the ethnicity of the character myself, but I do care about having the right feel.

Yes, Colin Salmon is pretty debonair. He'd be good. I think he was even rumoured at one point, but showed up as a different character during the Brosnan era Bonds if I'm not mistaken.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Maybe we could also have a Gay, Black Bond in a wheelchair. Tick even more boxes.
    That would be the BBC version of Bond.

A James Bond sitcom starring Stephen K Amos, featuring the obligatory Mrs Bond and their two children. The title would be some play on the word 'bond'.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    A suntan would be pigmentation, a person of African features is of a different racial make-up completely. Wouldn't that affect how Bond's heritage has been previously established? Like having a Chinese or Asian actor for example? I'm not closed to the idea, I'm playing devil's advocate.

Bond's heritage changes from film to film to serve the plot. It's not exactly a universe that has remained consistent. I think the character does need to be portrayed as British by the actor but other than that I don't think it really matters.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I couldn't care less as long as the actor was British and can act like a Bond.

As for the gay direction, one of the most ridiculous things I've heard, Bond is straight, if there are ever 'Bond boys' turning up, I'm not going near it.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Colin Salmon is pretty debonair. He'd be good. I think he was even rumoured at one point, but showed up as a different character during the Brosnan era Bonds if I'm not mistaken.

That's the word I was looking for.

Yep, Salmon was Charles Robinson I've just learned, but I always thought he was playing Bill Tanner. Which as I've just read, was a BT substitute.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Bond's heritage changes from film to film to serve the plot. It's not exactly a universe that has remained consistent. I think the character does need to be portrayed as British by the actor but other than that I don't think it really matters.

In what way has his heritage changed ? He's always been the orphaned son of a Scottish Father and a Swiss mother. That's never changed in any of the films. Which school he went to or which university he attended has changed often but Iv'e always put that down to bad continuity or a plot device.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO.

It's always the people who say "this is the 21st century" or "we've moved on" or "times have changed" etc who make the biggest issue out of colour.
    They're the ones who always say should the next Dr Who be black or a woman. Now it's Bond.
    You get people who say things like "colour shouldn't matter". Well if it doesn't matter then why ask the question in the first place. If colour doesn't matter it shouldn't worry these people that he stays white.

When Starsky and Hutch was remade if they said that Huggy Bear was going to be played by a white actor I'd have said NO. He's black, he's always been black and that's the way it should stay.

It's the same with Bond. He's always been white and that's the way it should stay.
    You've got to remember that although he's been played by different actors he's still supposed to be the SAME PERSON. Therefore his skin colour wouldn't change so it's a stupid idea anyway.
    I hate this era we live in where there are certain people who want to try to change everything as we've always known it just so they can make themselves feel good and tick all these 21st century "oh haven't we moved on, I'm so happy" boxes.

Please, just leave things alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    NO.

It's always the people who say "this is the 21st century" or "we've moved on" or "times have changed" etc who make the biggest issue out of colour.
    They're the ones who always say should the next Dr Who be black or a woman. Now it's Bond.
    You get people who say things like "colour shouldn't matter". Well if it doesn't matter then why ask the question in the first place. If colour doesn't matter it shouldn't worry these people that he stays white.

When Starsky and Hutch was remade if they said that Huggy Bear was going to be played by a white actor I'd have said NO. He's black, he's always been black and that's the way it should stay.

It's the same with Bond. He's always been white and that's the way it should stay.
    You've got to remember that although he's been played by different actors he's still supposed to be the SAME PERSON. Therefore his skin colour wouldn't change so it's a stupid idea anyway.
    I hate this era we live in where there are certain people who want to try to change everything as we've always known it just so they can make themselves feel good and tick all these 21st century "oh haven't we moved on, I'm so happy" boxes.

Please, just leave things alone.

Doctor Who's character continuity would have even less impact seeing as how there is an accepted story mechanism by which he could regenerate into just about anybody.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    In what way has his heritage changed ? He's always been the orphaned son of a Scottish Father and a Swiss mother. That's never changed in any of the films. Which school he went to or which university he attended has changed often but Iv'e always put that down to bad continuity or a plot device.

I agree. Bond also embodies fairly old-fashioned values like patriotism. He is a product of post-colonial Britain and a black actor just wouldn't work. Don't forget that the film-makers have transformed Felix Leiter into a black guy so I think the box has already been ticked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Bond also embodies fairly old-fashioned values like patriotism. He is a product of post-colonial Britain and a black actor just wouldn't work. Don't forget that the film-makers have transformed Felix Leiter into a black guy so I think the box has already been ticked.

Representation of minorities shouldn't be reduced to a box that should be ticked through a token character.