Options

Who is the worst live singer?

tim18tim18 Posts: 737
Forum Member
✭✭
I was just wondering who you guys think is the worst live singer?
I remember seeing rihanna on her loud tour and remembering how off her vocals were! Maybe it was a bad night?

Comments

• Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber is really bad. He was dancing around a lot but still..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    I was just wondering who you guys think is the worst live singer?
    I remember seeing rihanna on her loud tour and remembering how off her vocals were! Maybe it was a bad night?

No I totally agree with you, people seem to be obsessed with her though. Rihanna sounds awful recorded and being edited in the studio even, let alone what she sounds like live. Her songs diamonds and where have you been have made me want to dig my eardrums out this year.

Katy Perry is another one who in my opinion sounds just as bad on album as she does live.

I heard tinie tempah live, might of just been because hed been dancing around on stage for ages but he sounded pretty weak to me to.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna, Britney, Victoria Beckham and Geri Haliwell

I would say Miley Cyrus, but she doesn't sound much different live than from her studio recordings. At least her voice is consistent.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm far worse than any of those mentioned so far
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is - britney, with madonna close second

was - michael jackson

reason - miming onstage as they couldn't sing their songs for one reason or another, or chose not to
  • Options
    Janey BJaney B Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Dare I say Adam Levine. I love Maroon 5 but I was shocked how weak his voice is live.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the artists I have seen live, I would have to say Madonna.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny. Rihanna and Katy Perry have been mentioned but when I saw Rihanna on her Rated R tour, she sounded excellent. Far better than I thought she'd be. I assume her vocals have just deteriorated since then? Also, Katy Perry - I saw her at the Capital Summertime Ball last year, and she sounded great.
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole has to be up there with them
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy perry sounds terrible when she sings on award shows!!!!!!!!!! That must be what she sounds like on tour.

Nicki minaj aint good live at all neither is tinie tempah. Maybe thats why his latest record isnt doing great
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna has improved.
    Katy Perry is pretty bad tbh.
    The Wanted are also bad a lot of the time.
    Adam Levine sounds very weak live.
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy Perry is probably the worst of all the mainstream pop and rnb women.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janey B wrote: »
    Dare I say Adam Levine. I love Maroon 5 but I was shocked how weak his voice is live.
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Adam Levine sounds very weak live.

He has such a bland, nasally voice.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance.

He just sounds so unfit. Combine this with the fact that he tries to give an energetic performance, and he just sounds out of breath all the time.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Katy perry sounds terrible when she sings on award shows!!!!!!!!!! That must be what she sounds like on tour.

I have never seen her live so I can't really comment on her vocal ability. However, it's worth noting that the sound is often very different whilst actually being at the venue than it is on TV. Sometimes, vocals don't translate well on TV.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole is probably the worst live singer I've ever heard.

Absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna has a decent voice but she's very hit and miss. She occasionally gives incredible vocal performance but unfortunately sometimes she is really bad. She also has a habit of only singing half-sentences, for example she'll sing a line like "We found love in a hopeless place" but only sing "we found love in a..." and doesn't finish the sentence. It's really irritating, next time you see her do a live performance, look out for it.

Singers who are pretty much always awful, or always mime:

- Britney Spears
    - Taylor Swift
    - Lana Del Rey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber
    Adam Levine
    Cheryl Cole
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't resist pointing out Lana's doing a fantastic job of "miming" in this video:p:

Beats Festival, Prague this year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gndCFmyAtTU

Shall I post some more videos from her tour as evidence, cause I would assure you she's always this "bad." You can see that by the way the crowd are in raptures of joy. Yep she's always rubbish live isn't she? Really can't sing can she :rolleyes:?
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Rihanna has a decent voice but she's very hit and miss. She occasionally gives incredible vocal performance but unfortunately sometimes she is really bad. She also has a habit of only singing half-sentences, for example she'll sing a line like "We found love in a hopeless place" but only sing "we found love in a..." and doesn't finish the sentence. It's really irritating, next time you see her do a live performance, look out for it.

Singers who are pretty much always awful, or always mime:

- Britney Spears
    - Taylor Swift
    - Lana Del Rey

Lana has the odd wobbly moment but has massively improved since her nerves are now much less of a problem.

Katy Perry is vocally talentless, to be honest - I'd mime if I was her, or use a heavy backing track. Taylor Swift isn't much better, but her songwriting talent gives her a bye.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked by how bad Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys was when he sang live on an episode of the Alan Titchmarsh Show. It made me realise what a clever production effect his voice is on the records.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member

Funnily enough, it's not. I went to see her a few years back and wasn't sure what to expect as I too think most of her award/TV performances are pretty patchy. Truth is, she was very good live. So good in fact, i'm seeing her again next year.

Worst live performer at the moment is Cheryl Cole IMO. Terrible singer, and I still cringe when I think of her abysmal performance of 'The Flood' on Chatty Man a few years back!
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I was shocked by how bad Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys was when he sang live on an episode of the Alan Titchmarsh Show. It made me realise what a clever production effect his voice is on the records.

Really, you do surprise me, I always thought of him as more of a talker than really a singer, which is why I didn't list him as worst singer live. Though somebody has got him down as best singer on the other thread, they must be deaf.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Really, you do surprise me,

Are you surprised by that?
    I always thought of him as more of a talker than really a singer, which is why I didn't list him as worst singer live.

Perhaps, but a lot of the Pet Shop Boys records have him going for a high note, and seeing him try and go for it on a live show without the production to help was quite frankly a mix of painful and hilarious.
    Though somebody has got him down as best singer on the other thread, they must be deaf.

Agreed there. He wasn't a singer anyway, he was a journalist on Smash Hits. I don't think he'd have been able to be a singer prior to the '80s tbh.