Options

Alison/ Lisa whats that all about?

belmontbabebelmontbabe Posts: 134
Forum Member
Are they great friends? Did they work together?

Comments

• Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they great friends? Did they work together?

No, they are both overweight and Strictly contestants.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two fat lassies together giving each other moral support ?
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    They are both very fat and massively overscored on Strictly? Not the nicest thing to say, but true.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    They are both very fat and massively overscored on Strictly? Not the nicest thing to say, but true.

True, but I found Lisa very likeable, while I find the other one totally unlikeable. :(
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    I love Alison, but it was pretty patronising putting them together, how ever much they may have privately bonded over shared issues (apparently Alison learnt some useful stuff about dance shoes from her). It was kind of reductive thinking putting them in a VT together.
  • Options
    bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Advert for Bingo...88
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the common (implied, yet unspoken) link is their weight, and unfortunately the show itself invited LR comparisons from week 1.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    The thing is, they wouldn't bring in, say, Audley Harrison to give tips for Simon to dance well as a black man, or Denise Van Outen for Pixie as a blonde ringah, but because they're both energetic and fat (sorry, 'bubbly'), that's somehow appropriate to that week's training. They needed ideas for a VT and Lisa had a gap in her diary, that's all.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    True, but I found Lisa very likeable, while I find the other one totally unlikeable. :(

Im the opposite - I like Alison - and do not like Lisa at all.
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That VT made me very cross. So because Alison is overweight the only person she can relate to or have relate to her is another overweight girl. It was very patronising
  • Options
    sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it time Lisa moved on from the show and got an acting job or is she at a loose end until panto season? I really hope she is not presenting the live shows as I would quit like to go this year:(
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatism by the BBC shocking!
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Alison has basically given up on ballroom dances because, by her own admission, of her size. That's disappointing and I wonder if she really has been putting much work in.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »

I think Alison is getting bigger.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because (for some strange reason) Lisa did well, they want to give Alison a 'Lisa boost'.
    Perhaps she's not as much the peoples' favourite as they thought she would be?

I actually like Alison okay, but she isn't doing well.
  • Options
    ElanElan Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    It was odd wasn't it, and when Alison said 'have you got your shoes?', 'yes' - then dancing in outdoor boots. Bizarre.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its all about the BBC still trying to force Lisa Bloody Riley down our throats any way they can!
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa wanted to look thin for a change.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New cliche

Comedy fat birds
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    I think Alison is getting bigger.

You know what, I thought that too. She is absolutely huge and Lisa looked quite trim beside her.
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have expected Alison to have dropped a significant chunk of weight by now. Lisa did - and last week Tim said he had lost 2 stone during his time on Strickly. It's a truism that weight is lost faster by people who have more to lose and Tim wasn't what you'd call porky even at the start.
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, they wouldn't bring in, say, Audley Harrison to give tips for Simon to dance well as a black man, or Denise Van Outen for Pixie as a blonde ringah, but because they're both energetic and fat (sorry, 'bubbly'), that's somehow appropriate to that week's training. They needed ideas for a VT and Lisa had a gap in her diary, that's all.
    Well there's a bit of a difference between colour of skin and hair and being overweight when it comes to dancing.

The fact is being big is a huge physical limitation when being taught to dance on a competitive level. Being blonde or black isn't.

They're both big girls fully aware if the challenge their size brings (as much as certain people like to act like its no biggie). Which is why she no doubt why Lisa wants to show a bit of support.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    Well there's a bit of a difference between colour of skin and hair and being overweight when it comes to dancing.

The fact is being big is a huge physical limitation when being taught to dance on a competitive level. Being blonde or black isn't.

But it made no difference to how Alison danced on the night - if they'd wanted to make a VT about learning to be better at the dances taking her size into consideration, they'd a) have done it earlier in the series and b) gone to a more credible source than Lisa Riley. It was hardly as if Alison improved on previous weeks, so it didn't really serve any point (nor would Audley giving tips to Simon, etc etc).
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa was there to make the points Alison can't really make directly. 1) Alison is having some issues unique to her because she is a big lady that can dance fairly well (no she's not technically the best of this years bunch, but she does a respectable job, and in terms of performance and musicality, she is one of the best. 2) Most importantly, when you are a bigger dancer you HAVE to exaggerate your lines, or it looks as if you are not doing them... even though you are. You have to in fact, work harder than slimmer dancers. That was the key point.

There was nothing subtle, everything was explicit or heavily implied. That said, I felt it did come off as patronising.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that Alison's been much more upfront about issues caused by her weight than previous "larger than life" - i.e. fat - contestants, but she is VERY large and that really does limit what she can do. I think it would have been better to get in the Roly Poleys (sp) if they're still going, they were/are a troupe of overweight dancers who could have given proper technique tips.