Annie Lennox

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really rated her as a singer.
    But as they say, "each to their own."

She's always been very "shouty."

Why did she take up the whole floor, with her musicians? It wasn't necessary.

Would have been passable if we'd had some pro dancers, after all it's what the programme's about. If it was her idea not to have dancers, that's "Diva nonsense" and she ain't one.

Nine million viewers and she's plugging a new CD, she should have been more accommodating and shown the public some respect.

She chooses a song that has been sung so much better by Nina Simone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDprYZ-tgiA

"and the world and his wife."

Did she have some sort of nervous tick?

I thought her Halloween make-up and costume were poor.

We always seem to get some on Strictly when they're a bit over the hill or away from the general public's gaze for some time.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrenny-24 wrote: »
    Would love that, but not a hope in hell................mind you, you could've said that about her ever touring again......
    Yes .. and perhaps Bertie would like to do Strictly :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't do it for me. I never did get the Lennox love - technically good singer, but rather cold, somehow. The emperor is still not wearing any clothes as far as I can see.

I thought it might be time for to think about retiring. It was a very odd performance..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    To be fair the entire Dave Arch Band can fit under the stairs so I don't see why Annie and co couldn't have stood a bit closer and let the viewers and studio audience have a pro routine. It wasn't as if she was providing an unmissable visual feast.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like her!....... and what was she wearing?....... she looked like she was in her ....'slopping about the house' clothes!..... For such a glamorous show, she should have made an effort!...................:(
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    It's not really diva-ish though is it? I always think the audience are so disrespectful to be more enthusiastic about the dancers .. also the singer becomes background when really the dancers should be background at that point. They're there to enhance not dominate.

If they could ever persuade Kate Bush to do it (please, please God) .. then I would be annoyed as hell if the audience cheered more loudly for the dancers.

Annie showed Boy George how it's done though .. powerful singing and really into the performance.

i agree with much of what you say, however it goes with the show, and i can't remember the last act that didn't have dancers, so if she actually said no, which i assume she did rather than it coming from SCD, she is making some sort of statement to put herself apart from other acts on the show.
  • Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably thought dancers would have been a thorn in her side as they would have danced like they were walking on broken glass making her wish she'd jumped out of that airplane after all and being halloween,would rather have sweet dreams of singing a love song for a vampire.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any actual proof that she demanded the floor to herself or are those accusing her of this simply taking a throwaway comment and expanding on it as if it's true?

Honestly, sometimes it's like ruddy Chinese Whispers on here.

And I thought she was amazing.

She has previous for not having a pro dance during her performance. The last time she was on the entire dance floor was covered with candles.

Once can look like an accident, twice begins to look a tad contrived.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    To be fair the entire Dave Arch Band can fit under the stairs so I don't see why Annie and co couldn't have stood a bit closer and let the viewers and studio audience have a pro routine. It wasn't as if she was providing an unmissable visual feast.

i always think the guest act should sing with the house band, then we'd get to showcase the band a bit more, and see what the guest artistes are really made of... :D
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annie Lennox - a total legend. Best guest singer of the series.
    Nuff said. :D
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was great, loved it, didn't even notice there were no dancers till nearly the end of the song.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Lennox fan, and I was embarrassed. Bad version of the song, not brilliantly sung, and the dancing and hand pumping was embarrassing.]

The trousers were atrocious.

Time to retire Annie.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need for dancers to provide a distraction unlike most of the Results Show Turns. Pitch perfect singing.
  • Wrenny-24Wrenny-24 Posts: 9,373
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    Yes .. and perhaps Bertie would like to do Strictly :D

Give him a few years, when he's a well known actor. ;-)

Getting back to Annie's performance. I guess it was a bit shouty but I loved her commitment and didn't mind not having dancers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    They do seem have repeat acts on a lot, don't they? I expect we're about due Paloma friggin' Faith, Rod Stewart, Michael Bublé and, worst of all, Robbie Williams.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do seem have repeat acts on a lot, don't they? I expect we're about due Paloma friggin' Faith, Rod Stewart, Michael Bublé and, worst of all, Robbie Williams.

Christmas albums, baby :D
  • Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    She sounded great but the dancing was a bit embarrassing. I missed the pro dance.
  • Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably thought dancers would have been a thorn in her side as they would have danced like they were walking on broken glass making her wish she'd jumped out of that airplane after all and being halloween,would rather have sweet dreams of singing a love song for a vampire.

Nice, are you Claudia in disguise? :):):)
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a patch on Nina Simone, utterly soulless and she insisted on having the floor to herself. I was disappointed not to have a pro routine. That is why we watch the show after all. It was very egotistical and starry to refuse a pro dance.
    And you know this how?
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Would not be surprised if she threw a diva hissyfit. She's not exactly the nicest of people in her private life.
    So you know her personally?
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give him a few years, when he's a well known actor. ;-)
    He's too young at the mo .. but just as Kate's son he'd qualify .. Judy has set the precedent :D
    Getting back to Annie's performance. I guess it was a bit shouty but I loved her commitment and didn't mind not having dancers.
    Me either :)
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    And you know this how?

So you know her personally?
    Professionally, yes.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I like Annie Lennox, but I've heard much much better versions of that song.

I have just about heard of Annie Lennox but never knowingly heard her sing. I was gob-smacked at how good she and her band were. I'm impressed and will have to youtube her.

But yes Nina Simone was better.
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Odd performance. Odd arrangement. A lot of solo instrumental. Not very keen. I was frankly bored.

This is one occasion when some dancing would have been very welcome.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just about heard of Annie Lennox but never knowingly heard her sing. I was gob-smacked at how good she and her band were. I'm impressed and will have to youtube her.

You are in for a treat - she was absolutely great.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Go for it! 59 years old and an utter wonder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Lennox