Options

Can't hide extensions for files

My files are currently showing extensions, like .xls or Mobi.
I don't want this to be so. I found how to hide them, but each time I try and hide extensions it doesn't do so. Does anyone know why it will not hide them?
I doing the following Folder Options - View - Hide extensions for known file types. I am using Vista

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My files are currently showing extensions, like .xls or Mobi.
    I don't want this to be so. I found how to hide them, but each time I try and hide extensions it doesn't do so. Does anyone know why it will not hide them?
    I doing the following Folder Options - View - Hide extensions for known file types. I am using Vista
    File extensions should be hidden by default, so you (or someone else) must have changed something for them to appear.

If you are brave/technical, you can try this method:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think hiding known extensions is the worst Windows setting ever. First thing I always change. I want to see what I am opening. Is the email attachment really a picture or is it an exe file? I can't tell when the extension is hidden.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ This
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood the reason why Windows defaults to not showing extensions for known file types. :confused:
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I think hiding known extensions is the worst Windows setting ever. First thing I always change. I want to see what I am opening. Is the email attachment really a picture or is it an exe file? I can't tell when the extension is hidden.

well if it were an exe you'd know because .jpg or .pdf would be on the end of the file name. stupidly really.

i know what you're saying but i've never found it to be a problem. deliberately misnamed files always arrive via email or downloads and it's pretty obvious at the time.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    well if it were an exe you'd know because .jpg or .pdf would be on the end of the file name. stupidly really.

i know what you're saying but i've never found it to be a problem. deliberately misnamed files always arrive via email or downloads and it's pretty obvious at the time.

It's not the only reason, it was one example why I do not like it. And I am sure they got a few less experienced people on this trick. I want to know, I do not need to be protected from the knowledge by a Windows setting.