Options

Beckham Brazil TV show: Into the unknown

Comments

• Options
    pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His Mate Dave was really funny. Loved his line about booking for a month next time :D
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-Zee wrote: »
    Oh stop with the whining, people leave their families to work for far less than you got paid for kicking a bag of wind around. yawn

What a load of sh1te that was! Thought we'd learn something about the Amazon and the Yanomani but it was all a load of self indulgent bollox. The Yanomani are a fascinating people and have died defending their land and traditional lifestyle yet all we here about is beckham being homesick and not having a shower...boo hoo!! So many people would kill for an opportunity like that and do something worthwhile with it instead of whining like a little girl...rant over!
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this, there was a truth in what Beckham seemed to be saying that to be able to be himself and to really talk to people without having the baggage of who he is must have been refreshing. To be able to just 'be' in an environment of quiet and to be able to think really resonated with me. I was also impressed, astonished, surprised, relieved that there was no swearing....perhaps off camera they were swearing like troupers! Someone in an earlier post mentioned how Beckham has poshed up, improved himself in his learning.....well good for him. Life long learning is just that.....good for him.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this, there was a truth in what Beckham seemed to be saying that to be able to be himself and to really talk to people without having the baggage of who he is must have been refreshing. To be able to just 'be' in an environment of quiet and to be able to think really resonated with me. I was also impressed, astonished, surprised, relieved that there was no swearing....perhaps off camera they were swearing like troupers! Someone in an earlier post mentioned how Beckham has poshed up, improved himself in his learning.....well good for him. Life long learning is just that.....good for him.

I noticed this too. Nice that the program can be shown before the watershed and that his younger fans can watch.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Clearly a show which divided opinions!! Seemed to go down well on Twitter though. "Top bloke!" from the lads and "He's so gorgeous!" from the girls.
  • Options
    ScrumperScrumper Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckham rides bike, Beckham goes to forest, Beckham plays on beach, Beckham appears again in forest with lots of children. I should write this stuff.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrumper wrote: »
    Beckham rides bike, Beckham goes to forest, Beckham plays on beach, Beckham appears again in forest with lots of children. I should write this stuff.

I doubt that I would have liked it so much if you had :)
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The Metro review of the programme is a bit odd. It says
    What’s even more surprising is just how Essex their voices have remained despite their stint in LA and their decades rubbing shoulders with the upper classes. Brooklyn, however, has an American twang to his voice that will take you utterly by surprise.

But that's not true. Brooklyn does NOT have an American accent (not even slightly), and it wouldn't be a surprise if he did.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/09/why-david-beckhams-into-the-unknown-documentary-is-the-best-thing-youll-see-this-year-4755500/
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this, I liked the conversation between David and Brooklyn before he went away. It was quite light hearted and nice to see the relationship between him and the other guys. He didn't really get away though, when he wanted to climb the tower to watch the fish he was stopped. I guess the insurance wouldn't cover it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrumper wrote: »

You missed Beckham taking his shirt off. A lot.

It wasn't the most illuminating of documentaries but it was fairly harmless. I'm just pleased it was a one off rather than a series (with the episode ending on a cliff hanger Becks vs the snake). Plenty of adventure, bikes and football there for the boys and plenty of Becks with his shirt off for the girls.
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy asked David: "What are you thinking about?" David replied: "Nothing". I turned over after that, hardly Michael Palin.
  • Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it with an open mind and enjoyed it.

Agree with those who say there was too much Beckham and not enough jungle.

For me at least, I felt I got to know him more and he seemed more credible.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    As much as I think David Beckham is taken the mickey out of in an unwarranted manner, as he seems a nice enough person and no less or more intelligent than the next footballer, all I could think of when watching this was stop moaning about your millionaire lifestyle. Yes, it may be a pain being constantly photographed and recognised by the whole world, but you've promoted yourself endlessly and you can't have the benefits without some drawbacks. Be thankful for the very comfortable life you have. And I'm afraid in the bit where he said how great it would be to fish for a living with his sons I thought - give it a week. No hair gel and fish for dinner every single night ... that being the fish you didn't have to sell to try to make a living.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    As much as I think David Beckham is taken the mickey out of in an unwarranted manner, as he seems a nice enough person and no less or more intelligent than the next footballer, all I could think of when watching this was stop moaning about your millionaire lifestyle. Yes, it may be a pain being constantly photographed and recognised by the whole world, but you've promoted yourself endlessly and you can't have the benefits without some drawbacks. Be thankful for the very comfortable life you have. And I'm afraid in the bit where he said how great it would be to fish for a living with his sons I thought - give it a week. No hair gel and fish for dinner every single night ... that being the fish you didn't have to sell to try to make a living.

Yes, bit like Marie Antoinette playing at being a shepherdess. Fun to slum it for a day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'm afraid in the bit where he said how great it would be to fish for a living with his sons I thought - give it a week. No hair gel and fish for dinner every single night ... that being the fish you didn't have to sell to try to make a living.

I'm sure David and the boys would cope with it for a while. Mrs B wouldn't survive 2 minutes.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm sure David and the boys would cope with it for a while. Mrs B wouldn't survive 2 minutes.

Not so sure ... maybe two more days. Did you notice the bit on the boat where his American friend was talking and you could see David in the background looking in the mirror and then realising the camera was on him.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy asked David: "What are you thinking about?" David replied: "Nothing". I turned over after that, hardly Michael Palin.
    Hahaha - well he's not claiming to be a travel guru. Also, Palin has decades more life experience on Beckham (he's 32 years older), an Oxford education and the quick witted mind of a comedian. He is a Python after all.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly, the Beckham's promote themselves endlessly, he complains about being photographed and recognised constantly, yet strangely he's also foisted fame and recognition onto his kids who now also can't go anywhere without the same hassle :confused:, many famous people keep their children out of the media totaly, Micheal Schumacher always kept his kids out of the limelight, ditto Kate Moss, Johnny Depp and Paul Weller went ballistic and sued the Daily Mail 'cos they published a photo if his wife out for a walk with his young twins
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    Hahaha - well he's not claiming to be a travel guru. Also, Palin has decades more life experience on Beckham (he's 32 years older), an Oxford education and the quick witted mind of a comedian. He is a Python after all.

That nothing is taken a bit out of context really, he went there to get away from his normal life and ride bikes, because it clears his mind, nothing was exactly what he was after.
    His mind was probably busy with the business of actually riding the bike.

No doubt Palin had stretches where he was simply relaxing thinking nothing on his various journeys, but he wouldn't film a piece to camera stating it.
    Michael Palin's Brazil didn't go do too well on here.
    Having checked my posts on that thread, I didn't even bother watching all of it, it was that poor/frustrating.
  • Options
    jarzojarzo Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    #grotbags# wrote: »
    I think he's a genuinely nice guy and a good dad. He gets a lot of stick for no good reason that I can see.

^ I agree with this. I think he gets stick for being successful.

As for the show itself I thought it was ok-ish.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Paul Weller went ballistic and sued the Daily Mail 'cos they published a photo if his wife out for a walk with his young twins

Some of those celebs seem self-indulgent doing things like that though, he probably caused more publicity for his kids by suing and is he really that famous that people take notice of his children?

In fairness to the Beckhams they don't flaunt their kids for publicity like Kate Price does, for example. I noticed only Brooklyn was in the programme last night, out of the four children, but I suppose he's now old enough to make his own decisions on whether he wants to be in such things.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    AJonesSCFC wrote: »
    Some of those celebs seem self-indulgent doing things like that though, he probably caused more publicity for his kids by suing and is he really that famous that people take notice of his children?

In fairness to the Beckhams they don't flaunt their kids for publicity like Kate Price does, for example. I noticed only Brooklyn was in the programme last night, out of the four children, but I suppose he's now old enough to make his own decisions on whether he wants to be in such things.

I'm guessing Weller sued because they were 'off duty', they were papped, I've seen pictures of him with his 2 older kids posing at some function or another.
    I 'think' one is a singer/performer actually.
    Maybe he wanted to draw a line in the sand, regarding on/off 'duty'?

I don't read the tabloids so I don't know what the Beckhams have done to 'expose' their kids, I'd guess they're constantly papped everytime the leave the house anyway, by some freelancer or another with a long lens.
    Maybe more celebs should go the Ronnie Barker route and watch his Wife and Kids on the beach from the Hotel window, so they don't get the hassle, lead separate lives?

This is going into showbiz forum territory and that's a rather unpleasant state of mind.
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it sounds a bit sad, but these days when I watch these celeb "survival" progs, I also watch the shots and try and work out how many camera teams there are, plus of course, all the rest. Probably a catering van following the whole entourage!
    The episode of them camping out in the jungle had me shuddering, until I had became convinced they probably headed for the local motel later. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it sounds a bit sad, but these days when I watch these celeb "survival" progs, I also watch the shots and try and work out how many camera teams there are, plus of course, all the rest. Probably a catering van following the whole entourage!
    The episode of them camping out in the jungle had me shuddering, until I had became convinced they probably headed for the local motel later. :D

There must have been a support crew (there was a female medic when one of them fell off his bike) but it wasn't as bad a some travel shows when someone pretends they are "alone in the wilderness" when there are obviously several camera crews and a helicopter providing overhead shots.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Weller sued because they were 'off duty', they were papped, I've seen pictures of him with his 2 older kids posing at some function or another.
    I 'think' one is a singer/performer actually.
    Maybe he wanted to draw a line in the sand, regarding on/off 'duty'?

I don't read the tabloids so I don't know what the Beckhams have done to 'expose' their kids, I'd guess they're constantly papped everytime the leave the house anyway, by some freelancer or another with a long lens.
    Maybe more celebs should go the Ronnie Barker route and watch his Wife and Kids on the beach from the Hotel window, so they don't get the hassle, lead separate lives?

This is going into showbiz forum territory and that's a rather unpleasant state of mind.
    Romeo is a model for Berburry, Brooklyn was the cover model for a mens mag a few months back, paps can't put photos of thd kids in the paper without parental permission, if Kate Moss is photographed in the street with her daughter the girls face is always pixilated out when the picture's published.