Options

Connecting Freesat Receiver to Home Network

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I have searched the forums and not been able to find anything.

I have a SANDSTROM SHDFSAT14 Freesat+ HD Receiver and recently decided to try and take advantage of iplayer on it and my new unlimited broadband connection.

My set up was:

Router connected by cat5 ethernet cable to powerline plug.

Receiver connected by cat5 ethernet cable to powerline plug.

Router switched on and plugs switched on and, brilliant, iplayer was available and working.

Since then, all I get is an error message saying " your device is not connected".

I have changed nothing and if I connect my laptop using the cable from the receiver I can access the Internet fine.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the powerline plug have energy saving features?
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with that particular reciever, but I'm guessing that the router has DHCP enabled.
    If so, that will mean that the Satellite box comes up at different network addresses each time it comes out of standby.
    I would suggest, either enabling DHCP (if available) on the receiver, or disabling it on the router and allocating a static address to the receiver.
    Whichever works out easiest for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    To answer the questions:

No the powerline plug doesn't have an energy saving feature.

On the receiver I originally had the DHCP enabled and that was when it worked. With it still enabled it din't work the next day. I have tried switching DHCP to manual and put in a fixed IP address but still with no success.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best way would be to use DHCP and add an address reservation for the receiver's MAC address on the router (feature supported by most routers).
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bulls23 wrote: »
    To answer the questions:

No the powerline plug doesn't have an energy saving feature.

On the receiver I originally had the DHCP enabled and that was when it worked. With it still enabled it din't work the next day. I have tried switching DHCP to manual and put in a fixed IP address but still with no success.
    Does the receiver display what IP address it is set to? So when you set it to DHCP does it actually get an IP address from the router? That will at least confirm it is seeing and talking to the router.

Does it have any other internet related service than iPlayer? If so do any of these work? That would narrow it down to a specific issue with iPlayer or a more general problem accessing the internet.