Adam Lambert - Whistle Register

spiideyspiidey Posts: 16,296
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone with a technical background please confirm whether or not Adam Lambert used his whistle register during his performance of "Somebody to Love" on the X Factor last night?

Did Adam Lambert use his Whistle Register on X Factor performing "Somebody to Love" 61 votes

Yes, Adam used his Whistle Register while performing "Somebody to Love" on X Factor last night
3% 2 votes
No, Adam did not use his Whistle Register while performing "Somebody to Love" on X Factor last night
24% 15 votes
Adam Lambert does not have a Whistle Regster
18% 11 votes
What is a Whistle Register???
54% 33 votes

Comments

• IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    He didn't, no.
  • spiideyspiidey Posts: 16,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't, no.

What was the highest note he hit (presume the one right at the end?)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Never heard of him before last night. That was unbelievably impressive...
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    spiidey wrote: »
    What was the highest note he hit (presume the one right at the end?)?

I'll be able to tell you when I'm home and have the piano, but by ear I cannot be sure.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Malkay wrote: »
    Never heard of him before last night. That was unbelievably impressive...

You should check out his American Idol performances on YouTube - they'll blow you away :)
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I'm not an expert, but I'd know enough to say that he definitely didn't use a whistle register (I'm pretty sure he doesn't have one)

Here's a good read on his voice (Actually it's a good website in general for a lot of people's vocal profiles)

http://www.divadevotee.com/2012/04/vocal-profile-adam-lambert.html
  • spiideyspiidey Posts: 16,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be able to tell you when I'm home and have the piano, but by ear I cannot be sure.

Thank you, that would be great! :)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he did not. I don't think he even has one?
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not an expert, but I'd know enough to say that he definitely didn't use a whistle register (I'm pretty sure he doesn't have one)

Here's a good read on his voice (Actually it's a good website in general for a lot of people's vocal profiles)

http://www.divadevotee.com/2012/04/vocal-profile-adam-lambert.html
    That's a great link thanks.
    Adam deserves his success. Plus, if you watch him in more intimate performances/interviews he comes across as a really nice person and very grounded.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a massive Queen fan and the only person who was suited as their lead singer in my eyes was George Michael but hearing Adam Lambert this guy can definitely sing and perform. I think Freddie would give his blessing for him to be an addition to this rock group.

Wonder what John Deacon thinks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So..... What is a Whistle Register then? Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know :)
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    So..... What is a Whistle Register then? Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know :)

If you ever listened to Mariah Carey in her prime, she often hit extremely high notes to the point where it sounded like she was whistling. It's extremely hard to do/impossible for most people (I think)

Other singers were known for it as well (Minnie Riperton is the other one who comes to mind) but I think Mariah was the most mainstream one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2gbgGPjvw The high notes in this are an example (Listen from just 4:05 if you're not bothered listening to the entire song :p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the explanation and the link :)... Notes that could basically be marketed as dog whistles - Not my favourite type of singing! Lol:)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ever listened to Mariah Carey in her prime, she often hit extremely high notes to the point where it sounded like she was whistling. It's extremely hard to do/impossible for most people (I think)

Other singers were known for it as well (Minnie Riperton is the other one who comes to mind) but I think Mariah was the most mainstream one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2gbgGPjvw The high notes in this are an example (Listen from just 4:05 if you're not bothered listening to the entire song :p)

Another mainstream "whistler" so to speak is Tamar Braxton (Toni Braxton's sister). She has used it on a couple of songs but not that often. Her latest single has it (from 3:27): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HbW9tNmpXw

Ariana Grande, Nicole Scherzinger, Christina Aguilera and Michelle Williams (from Destiny's Child) can all use this register as well.