Options

Help finding a book I read years ago

RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hiya!

Many years ago (must be more than 20) I read a historical fiction book written from the perspective of a young lad in the service of the court to someone like Richard III or maybe Warwick. But I'm probably wrong in who the court belonged to. :D

I do know the lad became a squire (or was a squire originally), and that he was given a many-coloured cloak by one of the ladies of the court. From (my shaky) memory, he was part of her circle rather than the lord of the court, and I seem to recall he was sent abroad (maybe to France).

I'd borrowed the book off my mum at the time, and I've been looking for it again for a couple of years now. I know my memory is sketchy, but what stayed with me was the wonderful way it was written. Not knowing the plot is a bonus, because I won't have any spoilers in my memory, but it's a bugger because I don't know enough to be able to find it. :D

I know it's a long shot, and I'm sorry for the scant detail, but has anyone read such a book? I thought the title was to do with the cloak, but I can't find anything with such a title.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have. :)

Edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure the author was female, which narrows it down a bit. Haha!

Comments

• Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this website - I've used it a couple of times and tracked down a couple of books this way.

http://www.whatsthatbook.com/

It sounds a bit like something Catherine Cookson would write.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Try this website - I've used it a couple of times and tracked down a couple of books this way.

http://www.whatsthatbook.com/

It sounds a bit like something Catherine Cookson would write.

Thanks for that site - it looks interesting. But it wasn't a Catherine Cookson - I read a lot of hers years ago, and this book I'm thinking of was more of a Sharon Penman style. It's not her, though, either. :(

I'll rummage through that site and see what I can find, or post my own description and see what turns up. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Harman? I have volumes 1 & 2 waiting to be read on my Kindle, apparently one is about a serving maid and the other about a fool / jester and both feature Richard lll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    Could it be We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Harman? I have volumes 1 & 2 waiting to be read on my Kindle, apparently one is about a serving maid and the other about a fool / jester and both feature Richard lll.

Looking at the synopsis and a review or two, it doesn't seem like it. However, it looks like a blimmin' good book anyway, so thank you. Also, having a look at that on Goodreads gave me a couple of other titles that look fascinating. :D

I suppose I was stupidly hoping for someone to say "Oh yeah, I finished that last week, it's ..." but I know that's not realistic, especially because my details are sketchy. I appreciate you trying - thanks. :)
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like something Georgette Heyer would have written.
    My mother used to read all those,and I read a couple when
    I had nothing else to hand. Cliched and stereotyped maybe,
    but (Like Catherine Cookson) the woman had a way with a
    good yarn!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm.... I'll have a look at the plot a bit more closely, but you could be on to something there. :D I thought the book I read was an epic thing, but it was 20 years ago or more haha! I'll have a look and let you know - thank you!

timebug, you're not wrong there - I read a few Georgette Heyer books years ago, but I've had a look at her bibliography and didn't spot it. It's appreciated, though - thanks. :)