Options

Some fantastic page turners I really can recommend

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Great recommendations! That's my Amazon list getting added to. I have read "before I go to sleep" it was good. At the same time I read "Room", I enjoyed it too....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Room-Emma-Donoghue/dp/0330519026/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411314516&sr=1-1&keywords=Room
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 85% through The Memory Box and I only started it yesterday, a great recommendation!

I read Room, mentioned above last year, and it was also a great read.
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this book

I also loved this book. Really good debut novel which I picked up on the free Kindle list before it became really popular.

Another freebie which gripped me was First and Only by Peter Flannery which apparently is now going to be made into a film - First & Only
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    I also loved this book. Really good debut novel which I picked up on the free Kindle list before it became really popular.

Another freebie which gripped me was First and Only by Peter Flannery which apparently is now going to be made into a film - First & Only

Started reading this today, thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I loved Before I go to Sleep and liked Into the Darkest Corner. Off to download The Memory Box!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred Gone Girl to Before I go to Sleep. I liked the style of writing. Plus I also guessed the end just over two thirds of the way of BIGTS.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read Before I go to Sleep last week and really enjoyed it (though I found it a little predictable in places).

There are loads more great recommendations on this thread, but I'm struggling to find some of them for my Nook, and some of the paperback prices are a bit high for me at the moment.... I shall have to be patient!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »

I finished First and Only yesterday. Although the idea was good the writing was awful. So 'basic'. Good for a debut I guess but didn't like the style at all. Much preferred Angels and Demons which this book reminded me of.
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    I've read all of the books recommended here and find them okay, but they don't 'thrill' me.

I read on average 3 or 4 books a week.....mostly thrillers or historical fiction.

Of those I've seen recommended here, they seem to be the most current books.

Does that mean these books that are out right now are the best because they are current?

And therefore we forget the past bestsellers as antiquated and non relevant? :confused:

Given the title of this thread, I expected to see more award winners than just current Amazon best sellers. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »
    I've read all of the books recommended here and find them okay, but they don't 'thrill' me.

I read on average 3 or 4 books a week.....mostly thrillers or historical fiction.

Does that mean these books that are out right now are the best because they are current?

And therefore we forget the past bestsellers as antiquated and non relevant? :confused:

Given the title of this thread, I expected to see more award winners than just current Amazon best sellers. :kitty:

What past bestsellers would you recommend?
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan Hill's, Simon Serrailler series of books. She is just about to publish her 8th.

Best to read them in order, there are consistant characters in the stories, and some that can be relevant to the plots.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »

Do go ahead and add your own recommendations! :kitty: I'm ready with my pen poised!

I guess keen readers assume that other keen readers will have already read older titles, so we tend to mention newer books, but I love coming across authors who have been around a while but I've somehow never come across.

I'd like to add 'Gone' by Lisa Gardner, which I read recently and found very gripping. (Not to be confused with 'Gone Girl')
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I recently finished Elizabeth Haynes's novel, Into the Darkest Corner.

Thanks for this recommendation Takae. It was a brilliant read, though quite uncomfortable at times, and like you I had to take a pause occasionally. The fear that Catherine felt was palpable and for the first time ever, I think I understood why some people stay with abusive partners. An incredible book and one that I can heartily recommend.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    I always like Phil Rickman's novels and I think if you like Susan Hill, the chances are you'll like Phil Rickman too :)
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I always like Phil Rickman's novels and I think if you like Susan Hill, the chances are you'll like Phil Rickman too :)

I've been a Susan Hill fan for years, so will give Phil Rickman a try.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Thanks for this recommendation Takae. It was a brilliant read, though quite uncomfortable at times, and like you I had to take a pause occasionally. The fear that Catherine felt was palpable and for the first time ever, I think I understood why some people stay with abusive partners. An incredible book and one that I can heartily recommend.
    I'm reading this at the moment, and having to put it down to do something else every now and again, it's quite horrifying. But absolutely gripping too.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are a few I've enjoyed recently:

Anything written by Sharon Bolton (also writes as S.J. Bolton)
    Anything by Mo Hayder
    The Zombie trilogy: Infection, Redemption, and Evolution by Bryan James.
    The Lion, The Lamb, The Hunted by Andrew E Kaufman
    Flinder's Field by D.M. Mitchell
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »

I love Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler's books, but I picked up Phil Rickman's The Cure of Souls last month and disliked it immensely. The pace was so slow and dragging, the characters annoying and the denoument completely forgettable. I was looking forward to getting into the Merrily Watkins series, but don't think I'll bother now.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All she ever wanted - Patrick Redmond . http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/604503.All_She_Ever_Wanted

Really enjoyed this have just bought another book of his called The Puppet Show.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I'm 85% through The Memory Box and I only started it yesterday, a great recommendation!

I read Room, mentioned above last year, and it was also a great read.

I have just finished The Memory Box! It was a brilliant read- really enjoyed it. Thanks for the reccomend stood OP.

Off to take a look at a The Wasp Factory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler's books, but I picked up Phil Rickman's The Cure of Souls last month and disliked it immensely. The pace was so slow and dragging, the characters annoying and the denoument completely forgettable. I was looking forward to getting into the Merrily Watkins series, but don't think I'll bother now.

I'm the opposite - I find Susan Hill's Serrailler books dull in the extreme, but I like Rickman.:) I'm surprised the Rickman books were recommended for a fan of Hill by an earlier poster. To me they are completely different. Although Hill does write supernatural stuff as well, I suppose.

Cure of Souls is my favourite Merrily book, but I've read them all. the characters are annoying at times. Especially bl**dy Jane. But I prefer them to the perfect Simon and Cat.

I do prefer his other series, written originally under the name Will Kingdom (Cold Calling and Mean Spirit) about a group of odd but wonderful characters investigating all sorts of mayhem.

I'm currently waiting impatiently for the third book in that series, Night after Night, to become available at my local library.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started reading 'What Laura Saw' on the train to work this morning. I'm about 150 pages in so far and am absolutely loving it! :)