EE - Afia

ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
Forum Member
Did anyone else like her?

I enjoyed her relationship with Tam, I would prefer that they brought her back into the show to get back with Tam rather than pairing him up with Nancy.

I liked her feistiness, I could see her bouncing off Shabnam a lot too.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her. Was she the best and most entertaining character? Not really, but she helped develop the deadwood that is Tam. I hope she returns. I wonder if her and Tam are still legally married or did they magically divorce off screen?. I think Afia was a victim of many axings under Lorraine Newman. I am not sure.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    I liked her. Was she the best and most entertaining character? Not really, but she helped develop the deadwood that is Tam. I hope she returns. I wonder if her and Tam are still legally married or did they magically divorce off screen?. I think Afia was a victim of many axings under Lorraine Newman. I am not sure.

I just thought she was an interesting secondary character, I like her role within the Masood family.

I think they mentioned they would be getting a divorce but don't think they ever mentioned that it was finalised.
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing some old clips of Afia in 'Back To Ours' really reminded me of what a great character she had become towards the end of her stint. It's a great shame they chose to shelve the character; she could've gone on to tackle some huge plots.

Right now however, I'm feeling quite optimistic about a possible Tam and Nancy paring. If they do it well, I think it'll be an exciting, challenging relationship. Dependent upon the writing, Nancy and Tam could become the next Bradley and Stacey. There's heaps of potential there. Tam needs developing, and quickly. I think a relationship will serve that function best.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    Seeing some old clips of Afia in 'Back To Ours' really reminded me of what a great character she had become towards the end of her stint. It's a great shame they chose to shelve the character; she could've gone on to tackle some huge plots.

Right now however, I'm feeling quite optimistic about a possible Tam and Nancy paring. If they do it well, I think it'll be an exciting, challenging relationship. Dependent upon the writing, Nancy and Tam could become the next Bradley and Stacey.

I think Tam and Nancy make good friends, I just don't think they suit as a couple. Maybe it's because they already did the opposites attract plot with Tam and Afia and that seemed a more realistic pairing.
  • Lisa_Thomas2Lisa_Thomas2 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Afia and her relationship with Tam a lot. That said, I'd like to see him with Nancy too. He needs a storyline!
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see her back. Meryl Fernandes was a perfectly capable actress and Afia was a likeable character who brought out the best in Tamwar. Potentially if they do go down the route of Nancy and Tam, I'd quite like to see Afia back to throw a spanner in the works because ultimately I don't see a long term future for Nanwar! :p
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »

I enjoyed her relationship with Tam, I would prefer that they brought her back into the show to get back with Tam rather than pairing him up with Nancy.

I really liked Afia and felt she was a wasted character. She had so much potential to have her feelings explored over her father's death and Tamwar's scars. Plus finding her way as a young Muslim woman that wanted her own life and career but also genuinely loved her husband and wanted to be married.

I do like Nancy and like the idea of a relationship between her and Tam but still would like Afia back.
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Afia,she was a fab character and I even liked Tamwar when he was with Afia,I wish they had kept her.
    I cant think of anything positive to say about pairing Tamwar with Nancy,it just wouldn't work,I think Nancy is a better character on her own.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read that Meryl Fernandes was in her late 20s whilst playing Afia, about 6 or 7 years older than Himesh (Tam). I was surprised about that, she looked younger.

If Tam gets with Nancy, I could see Afia making a brief return just to tie up whatever loose ends there might have been. He never really mentions either her or Alice Branning anymore though.
  • Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Afia, was she axed?
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I liked her too, Tamwar seems lost without her.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was OK.

Sadly she will always be remembered for the terrible Yusef storyline which destroyed the Masood family.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask a question ? I didnt watch EE for many years . I had watched from day one anx grew tired of it around 2002 or so
    I missed a lot of years and wondered if its ever been adressed why Tam is so wooden/ socially awkward ? Is he know to have a problem or what is the story ?
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved Afia it's a shame her and Tam split up. The could have been a long term couple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Can I ask a question ? I didnt watch EE for many years . I had watched from day one anx grew tired of it around 2002 or so
    I missed a lot of years and wondered if its ever been adressed why Tam is so wooden/ socially awkward ? Is he know to have a problem or what is the story ?

He just is. No reason.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    He just is. No reason.

Thanks . Seems odd that it never been adressed though !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really. I know a number of people like Tam and none of them have any medical conditions of behavioural difficulties. They're just more introverted than you or I.
  • Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her name just reminds me of Zainab's line to Yusef "Afia's inside" when he blew up the B&B. I remember that being very poignant at the time.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    She was OK.

Sadly she will always be remembered for the terrible Yusef storyline which destroyed the Masood family.

I loved that storyline.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She was one of my favourites at the time but got given nothing after the fire. She needs to return for tam or he should leave.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm like that in real life minus the trying comedy. Just naturally introverted.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she made that much of an impact
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozboz3 wrote: »
    Her name just reminds me of Zainab's line to Yusef "Afia's inside" when he blew up the B&B. I remember that being very poignant at the time.

Rewatching that on Back To Ours reminded me how hard hitting those scene were. From that line, to zainabs scream when Tam runs in and then out of the house. I remember finding Tamwar burning quite hard to watch.