Options

Howard Marks aka "Mr Nice" got inoperable cancer.

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Bless him,

“I’ve come to terms with it in my own way – which for me was about learning how to cry, It’s impossible to regret any part of my life when I feel happy and I am happy now, so I don’t have any regrets and have not had any for a very long time.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/24/howard-marks-inoperable-cancer-mr-nice?CMP=fb_gu

Comments

• Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Bless him,

“I’ve come to terms with it in my own way – which for me was about learning how to cry, It’s impossible to regret any part of my life when I feel happy and I am happy now, so I don’t have any regrets and have not had any for a very long time.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/24/howard-marks-inoperable-cancer-mr-nice?CMP=fb_gu

No sympathy, he had more time on earth than those victims who died because of the filth he smuggled.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to that article he remains unrepentent about his drugs smuggling. He obviously doesn't consider what he did a bad mistake. Stupid idiot.
  • Options
    peonypotpeonypot Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sympathy, he had more time on earth than those victims who died because of the filth he smuggled.

I own his book but ive never got round to reading it, I thought he smuggled weed.

Ive heard it said many times he's a nice man. I wish him well.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,925
    Forum Member

Can you explain to me which victims died please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    According to that article he remains unrepentent about his drugs smuggling. He obviously doesn't consider what he did a bad mistake. Stupid idiot.

He smuggled cannabis, not heroin or cocaine.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He smuggled cannabis, not heroin or cocaine.

Yes, I did read the article.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,995
    Forum Member

If the drugs don't kill you...the bullets will?
    The gang ..... contacted James McCann, a gunrunner for the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA). Marks and Plinston persuaded McCann to smuggle hashish into Ireland from Kabul, which the pair would then ferry over to Wales and into England; McCann would get the drugs into Ireland through the freeport at Shannon Airport using his IRA connections. Marks avoided the attention of HM Revenue and Customs by creating a paper trail that indicated he made his money from selling stamps and dresses.

Too gloss over Howard Marks connections is a bit naïve?
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He smuggled drugs, people die from taking drugs therefore his smuggling shit will have caused a few deaths along the way.

I hope he is in agony, and for the record it's my opinion breaking bad was a piece of shit that glorified illegal drugs.
  • Options
    dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He smuggled drugs, people die from taking drugs therefore his smuggling shit will have caused a few deaths along the way.

I hope he is in agony, and for the record it's my opinion breaking bad was a piece of shit that glorified illegal drugs.

Are you Jeremy Kyle?
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know anyone who's died from smoking weed, involving the IRA however...

I enjoyed his book.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If you can just confirm for me how many people have died from taking cannabis and get back to me that would be great.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he is in agony.

He might've been a done a lot of illegal stuff, but honestly, you sound worse than any drug dealer. Hopefully you don't end up in agony yourself one day from cancer, because comments like the one above will haunt you.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,995
    Forum Member
    If you can just confirm for me how many people have died from taking cannabis and get back to me that would be great.

Does tobacco kill people or the cancer?
    In today's issue of the British Medical Journal, Prof Henry and other doctors from Imperial College, and St Mary's Hospital, both in London, say cannabis could be a major contributor to UK deaths.

Researchers calculate that if 120,000 deaths are caused among 13million smokers, the corresponding figure among 3.2million cannabis smokers would be 30,000.

The drug can cause cancer, lung disease and abnormalities associated with serious mental illness.

Users are up to six times more likely to develop schizophrenia.
  • Options
    mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you basically also must hate long term smokers (eg. Paul McCartney) because they buy "the shit", thereby feeding an industry that kills people yes?

Still waiting to know how many people have died from smoking cannabis by the way….
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

It has certainly messed up a lot of lives and caused a lot of mental illness. I don't think that a story about a drug smuggler should be in the "showbiz" section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    It has certainly messed up a lot of lives and caused a lot of mental illness. I don't think that a story about a drug smuggler should be in the "showbiz" section.

There's a lot more messed up lives and mental illness caused by alcohol.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's very sad, as it would be with anyone in the same situation. I'm glad he seems to be handling it well and is in a good place mentally. I also know that weed has given relief to people I know with chronic illness that conventional meds haven't been able to. All the same, I don't like to see the kind of lifestyle he has led being glorified or him being hero-worshipped. I come from Leeds where he is based for much of the time and some people see him as a kind of celebrity. He's lived his life as he's pleased and looked after no.1. but he does appear to have hurt a number of people along the way, including his own family- more with his lifestyle in general than the drug connections alone. I hope he continues to find peace and make any reconciliations he needs to in the coming months but don't see why he should be elevated to cult hero status.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    There's a lot more messed up lives and mental illness caused by alcohol.

True. I still don't think his life should be glorified.
  • Options
    mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    True. I still don't think his life should be glorified.

Fair enough, but I also don't think people have the right to wish his lasting days be filled with pain and misery. I can only imagine those saying such awful things have never had to watch the truly harrowing end that cancer patients suffer
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

I genuinely don't know a single person who ever died purely from smoking cannabis.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it is good to see you have a clear and unbiased approach to drugs and its relationship to us humans. I would hate to think of people parroting whatever current media message is. Is it drugs are evil or is it still ISIS? which one am I meant to hate today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I genuinely don't know a single person who ever died purely from smoking cannabis.

That's because no-one ever has.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's possible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-25968093

Although I think it would fall under freak occurrence.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I clicked on this thinking it was Howard from the Halifax adverts.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A funny guy, very personable - great book also, he has served his jail time and was freed.........sad to see he has this illness. Lots of people have sold drugs, some are in Showbiz.....

Tim Allen Was a Convicted Drug Dealer Before Becoming Famous

'I knew about budgets, I was a drug dealer': Jay-Z says he learned his business skills from selling crack cocaine during the 1980s

50 Cent was a drug dealer