ipod touch update

just updated my ipod touch software and cant see any difference in the performance why do they bother ?.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did it also charge you for it as well? I have an update for mine but Apple wanna charge me £3 for it.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't really notice any improvement in performance, unless they did something really badly in previous release. It's limited by the hardware you have. They usually do bugfixes in minor upgrades, plus some new functionality in major ones to motivate you to pay for it.
  • ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread however it does seem an appropriate place for my question. My soon to be 14 year old daughter is nagging me for one of these (because we told her that an I Phone is a totally out of the question :eek:) and I need to be convinced that it's £140 well spent. Also, can someone confirm that the more expensive models are just for more memory? Finally, has anyone managed to attach a GPS capability to one and can they use MSN? Thanks for your help :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read that it doesn't have an organiser or radio....although I'm sure there's an 'a$p$p' available..... Does it have a camera?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have started a new thread so please ignore my ramblings in this one :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does not have a camera either and GPS is only available with iphone. Atm ipod nano is better equipped, camera, FM radio, but it does not have wi-fi or apps. But I think it's probably an image thing to have an itouch/iphone like everybody else and anything less won't do. Think different indeed.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    <snip>
    But I think it's probably an image thing to have an itouch/iphone like everybody else and anything less won't do. Think different indeed.

Sorry, gotta disagree there. I don't carry a Touch just to look 'cool'. Name another platform that is so flexible...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depens on what you need it for. I want my media player to be good at playing audio files and there are others that do that better than itouch. I don't really need the apps or wi-fi, there's nothing that urgent that it could not wait till I get home. And I was talking about kids wanting what the others have, not the adults.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True about the kids wanting the current 'in' thing, and also - if music's your thing - there are better sounding players out there, but personally (and I do like my music to sound good!) these are compromises I'm willing to put up with because the Touch is so darned adaptable....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    The sound quality of the iTouch is limited by the hardware, not the software. Although sold as a media-player type device, the audio-quality is actually rather poor for a product in its price range because it is really positioned more as a multi-functional device in which music-playing is just one of many supported features, and the audio-output circuitry is less important than its other features.

The iPod touch is essentially something which looks nice and has a wide range of apps (some useful, some rubbish, some free, some expensive) which serve every purpose you could imagine. It is a great device to choose for someone who wants apps that can perform pretty much anything, plus a wide range of games (there are quite literally tens of thousands of games apps).
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The upgrade is for free - I know because I got it last weekend simply by logging onto iTunes with my ipod touch connected to my Mac.

Somewhat bizarrely, Apple are still trying to flog it. This page gives more details about the upgrade. Then again, I could have sworn I was looking at "Genius" recommendations before the upgrade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have major upgrades, when the main/major number changes, like going from 2.0 to 3.0, apple wants money for those. Then you have minor upgrades, eg, from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, those are gratis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    You have major upgrades, when the main/major number changes, like going from 2.0 to 3.0, apple wants money for those. Then you have minor upgrades, eg, from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, those are gratis.

I think you're missing the point. OS 3.0 was released for the iPod touch on Jun 17th 2009. If you wanted it, you had to pay for it.

Now, you don't have to. You can go from OS 2.x.x straight to OS 3.1.3 (the latest version) without paying for it.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point. OS 3.0 was released for the iPod touch on Jun 17th 2009. If you wanted it, you had to pay for it.

Now, you don't have to. You can go from OS 2.x.x straight to OS 3.1.3 (the latest version) without paying for it.

Since when? I upgraded to 3.1.3 about 2 weeks ago and had to pay £2.99.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when? I upgraded to 3.1.3 about 2 weeks ago and had to pay £2.99.

Since last weekend, John. I just plugged my ipod touch in to iTunes last Sunday and it immediately upgraded itself. You can read more about it here
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Since last weekend, John. I just plugged my ipod touch in to iTunes last Sunday and it immediately upgraded itself. You can read more about it here

Bloody typical!:D