Eastenders Mo Harris - What went wrong?

Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been looking through old youtube clips of the Slaters, including their first 2 episodes on the Square. One thing that sticks out with me is how they started off with Mo Harris seeming as a massive character with huge potential, but as we know she's been more or less wasted on the show. Just look at the clip here to see how much an impact she made in her second episode...

...oh and you MUST check 6 mins 30 secs in, best bit of Eastenders ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rmj0cneLmw

Is there anything that could be done to make her interesting again?

Comments

• PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    They need to bring in her sons and beef up her role
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I remember watching that Mo/Pat showdown, can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Big Mo was indeed a much more central figure in the Slater family when they first arrived. I guess they realised after a little while that Laila Morse isn't exactly the world's greatest actress and that she's better suited to smaller, comedy plots. It is kind of ridiculous how few storylines she's had in the past decade though. Her best remains the 'Madame Whiplash' one. :D
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    She's a dreadful actress - surprised she's lasted 10 years
  • Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Gosh, I remember watching that Mo/Pat showdown, can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Big Mo was indeed a much more central figure in the Slater family when they first arrived. I guess they realised after a little while that Laila Morse isn't exactly the world's greatest actress and that she's better suited to smaller, comedy plots. It is kind of ridiculous how few storylines she's had in the past decade though. Her best remains the 'Madame Whiplash' one. :D

Funny, I think exactly the opposite. The end of Mo Slater was when they kept giving her annoying "comedy" storylines. Occasionally it was funny but most of the time it wasn't and it just made her character irritating. Mo at her best is when she's supporting another character in a dramatic storyline; that's why they should have gone down the route of exploring her family when the Slater girls left. They really missed a trick with Laila Morse/Mo Slater, imo.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve3275 wrote: »
    Funny, I think exactly the opposite. The end of Mo Slater was when they kept giving her annoying "comedy" storylines. Occasionally it was funny but most of the time it wasn't and it just made her character irritating. Mo at her best is when she's supporting another character in a dramatic storyline; that's why they should have gone down the route of exploring her family when the Slater girls left. They really missed a trick with Laila Morse/Mo Slater, imo.
    Well, she did do a fair bit of that, especially from 2000-2005, as the Slaters were never short of family dramas. But since the Slater sisters upped and left, she's had little to do apart from flogging dodgy gear and talking about Fat Elvis.

I agree that they overdid the comedy plots with her for a while.
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Such a waste-maybe she will do more when Kat runs the newly reopened Vic pub
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Eve3275 wrote: »
    Mo at her best is when she's supporting another character in a dramatic storyline;

Agreed! Like when she helped Sonia give birth!
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leila isnt the best actress in the world, but I like the character Big Mo, would like to see her with a decent storyline once in a while.
  • Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! Like when she helped Sonia give birth!

Yes, that's a great example. The reason Mo's so good in those situations is because you really feel like she's someone who you'd want on your side if you were in the same situation. The comedy overload ruined Big Mo for me but at least when Charlie goes there's a chance for a fresh start with her as head of the Slater household.
  • Donna2010Donna2010 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mo is still a great character but the producers in recent years haven't used her the why John Yorke and Louise Berridge did.

They should bring in her son and maybe even further grandchildren once Charlie, Jean and Stacey have gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved how shewas the autority figure in the Slater family for the first few years. The girls would just take Charlie for a ride but the minute Mo stepped in and raised her voice they would all shut up. I think they showed real potential with her to start with especially when the slaters visited Viv's grave and for once the episode seemed to focus on Mo and her having lost a child rather than the girls..

I think she was good throughout 00-04 as she was great when helping one of the girls in crisis but since kat then eventually little mo left I think she's been wasted.

I liked how she was the one to go and meet Kat last month as she was always the one Kat would turn to when in trouble. I'm hoping they may use her abit more around the vic and not just to do deals out the back. I'd like to see her play a little role in Stacey's exit, Charlie's exit and any upcoming Kat storyline. She hasn't really mentioned any of her other relatives in ten years LOL
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »

Same!
    Cannot stand the character!!!!!
  • Angel_DelightsAngel_Delights Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely they are going to use her for something once Charlie, Jean and Stacey go otherwise BK would have just axed her too? Maybe she moves in with Kat and Alfie at The Vic?

I always thought they should have brought back her history with Pat, they are sister in laws but the new producers seem to have forgotten that.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I agree with those who say she isn't a good actress, her brother defintiely got the good acting genes.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A serious Storyline would be good for Mo.. Like a Cancer scare
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think she's a weak actress. I'm surprised by the majority of the comments here. I seem to think the opposite of most people - while you're surprised she hasn't had bigger storylines, I'm surprised she's lasted so long in the soap. I have to say, though, that the actress is lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »

Well said
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    What went wrong? Shes been in the show for 10 years and become a household name. Shes not had the strongest storylines - ie; people don't remember her really strong era like the will with Stacey but they won't think of her during the Fererra era either. Nohings went wrong if you ask me.

I know this gets said a lot, but not every character needs to have an affair, murder plot and health scare every 2 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

I love Mo. She's one of the best in the square at the moment. Ideally I would love if she had an affair with Alfie.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member

Bring in Fat Elvis :D
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Had to give upon the clip after 90 seconds, boredom kicked in. However, I rather like Big Mo, and have no problems with the actress's acting.
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember after Little Mo ironed Trevor, Big Mo talked about how she used to be in prison, and how it was really terrible, yet I don't think this was ever elaborated on.

Remember her fling with northern Bert? lol