Do you remember when smarties tasted nice and Tab Clear cola and others....

potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
and when you could karate chop the lid off of the tube! The E numbers made them taste nice, orange coloured were actually orange flavoured and they had blue ones.

Also Cheddar Cheese Hula Hoops in a yellow packet were amazing.

Tab clear cola was lush

Doritos had a savoury beef flavour

Panda Pops were 10 pence

Oh I miss when my childhood favourites hadn't been tampered with to make them more "healthier" and now taste vile!
Even a Mars Bar tastes different now and I know it's not just my taste buds as many people have said it..

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Agree about Smarties :( They all taste the same now - the orange ones actually used to have orange flavour chocolate in. Not anymore :(
  • BingedrinkerBingedrinker Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh remember those hamburger flavour crisps for 10p? They were lush and I've forgotten what they were called.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Oooh remember those hamburger flavour crisps for 10p? They were lush and I've forgotten what they were called.

Burger Rings?

There were tonnes of great, fun varieties back in the day and all so much cheaper. I loved Space Raiders, I think they still do them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many great memories! I'd forgotton all about tab clear cola and Chedder cheese hulas were the best.

Also, those really cheap crisps called Puffs, which seemed to disintigrate in the bag, but were somehow really nice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    Burger Rings?

There were tonnes of great, fun varieties back in the day and all so much cheaper. I loved Space Raiders, I think they still do them!

I remember the american football 'Quarterback' cheeseburger flavour. It's true that all the cheap 10p crisps were the best.

Something like Tangy Toms were great too.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Sure Quarterback also had a pickle flavour. Used to get them from the tuck shop.

The great thing is that Meanies are still available :D
    Forum Member
    OMG Quarterbacks were so nice!! They sold them at our local footy club for 10p too haha!

I remember Puffs too that disintegrated in the bag
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50p from my pocket money used to cover a 10p bag of crisps and a decent chocolate bar!
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved all the cheap crisps, I used to love the Smiths Crisps too (before they were bought out by Walkers) but my favourite was cheetos I couldn't get enough.

I saw a sweet stand in our local shopping centre the other day selling a pack of Nerds for £3.50 I was shocked they used to be 25p :) And no one seems to even remember Dweebs which were out at the same time.

I loved Tab Clear, too.

I am with you OP that everything has gone downhill with the enforced health eating thing. I tried Refreshers the other day and they tasted foul and I loved these sweets. New improved flavour indeed! :)
    Forum Member
    I loved all the cheap crisps, I used to love the Smiths Crisps too (before they were bought out by Walkers) but my favourite was cheetos I couldn't get enough.

I saw a sweet stand in our local shopping centre the other day selling a pack of Nerds for £3.50 I was shocked they used to be 25p :) And no one seems to even remember Dweebs which were out at the same time.

I loved Tab Clear, too.

I am with you OP that everything has gone downhill with the enforced health eating thing. I tried Refreshers the other day and they tasted foul and I loved these sweets. New improved flavour indeed! :)

I remember Nerds and Dweebs - lol they were in direct competition? Were they like little candy nugget things in a box? £3.50 - they're having a laugh!!

Oh no, don't say they've changed the taste of Refreshers too!!! I wish they would stop this!

---
    To the person who said they could get crisps and a choccy bar for 50p - now you could only get the crisps :cry:
  • Vodkafairy75Vodkafairy75 Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I've not had smarties in ages, didn't realise that the orange ones no longer tasted orangey. They were lovely. Loved Tab Clear as well.

I used to love Pacers (like mint chewits), Piglet crisps, Puffs (cheese & onion ones), Mr Freeze Icepoles for 5p (the blue raspberry one was my favourite closest tasting thing now is blue wkds :) yum). Also in the 90's I used to like a chocolate bar called Secret - that was delicious & Brannigan crisps.
    Forum Member
    I've not had smarties in ages, didn't realise that the orange ones no longer tasted orangey. They were lovely. Loved Tab Clear as well.

I used to love Pacers (like mint chewits), Piglet crisps, Puffs (cheese & onion ones), Mr Freeze Icepoles for 5p (the blue raspberry one was my favourite closest tasting thing now is blue wkds :) yum). Also in the 90's I used to like a chocolate bar called Secret - that was delicious & Brannigan crisps.

Blue raspberry is such a marvellous flavour!

I remember piglet crisps!! I'm certain they had a picture of a wolf on?

Shame Walkers bought everything :(
    Forum Member
    Just googled a pic of piglets & you are right there is a wolf on the packet :)! There was a packet of Smiths' Tubes on there too, I also remember the fish & chips & Farmer Brown crisps......you are right Potatolegs it is a shame as their crisps just aren't the same :(
    Forum Member

I dont remember Secret, but I'm sure Brannigan crisps are still available :confused:
    :)
    What also annoys me is the Large/King Size bars getting smaller. When I was a kid (or bigger) a King Size Mars/Marathon or Snickers was 100g, now its split in two and is about 80g :( A "big" Cadbury slab is now 230g - even a few years back it was 250g and Woolies did them for £1 - not even 99p stores do that these days :(
    Forum Member
    I've not seen Brannigans in years they must not sell them in the shops I go to :(!

Secret was a chocolate mousse that was covered in a chocolate "cage" it was really nice. :)

I know what you mean about things getting smaller, I picked up a twix single the other day & that appeared much smaller too!
    Forum Member
    Everything is smaller because the "Health Brigade" worried that a King Size was equivalent to a 1/3 of your daily food intake!
    It's gone mad. Can't people make their own decisions!
  • Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the flavoured Toffoes in the blue tubular packet.
    Banana,strawberry,choclote & normal toffee.

Used to buy one of those & a Texan chocolate-chewy bar every week when I got my 50p pocket money back in the late 70s.
    Forum Member
    I miss the flavoured Toffoes in the blue tubular packet.
    Banana,strawberry,choclote & normal toffee.

Used to buy one of those & a Texan chocolate-chewy bar every week when I got my 50p pocket money back in the late 70s.

Really sad to hear both Toffos and Texan went out of production in 2005 :(

Toffos were especially nice
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose tinted glasses. Smarties never tasted based on their colour.
    Forum Member
    Rose tinted glasses. Smarties never tasted based on their colour.

Honestly, Orange ones did..

None of the others did but Orange ones had chocolate orange!
    You can read about it here.

"I got a letter from Nestle, apologising again and stating that there had been a flavour mishap and that the orange ones are the only ones with flavour. They also imparted some history of Smarties explaining that when they first went on sale, the light brown ones (sadly no longer with us) used to be coffee flavoured, and the dark brown ones had plain chocolate inside them instead of milk. In 1957, they changed them all to normal milk chocolate, but kept the orange flavour, due to market research. "
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I got a letter from Nestle, apologising again and stating that there had been a flavour mishap and that the orange ones are the only ones with flavour. They also imparted some history of Smarties explaining that when they first went on sale, the light brown ones (sadly no longer with us) used to be coffee flavoured, and the dark brown ones had plain chocolate inside them instead of milk. In 1957, they changed them all to normal milk chocolate, but kept the orange flavour, due to market research. "

I totally take it back then :D. I thought i just imagined it because friends told me they tasted orange.
  • BingedrinkerBingedrinker Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    I remember the american football 'Quarterback' cheeseburger flavour. It's true that all the cheap 10p crisps were the best.

Something like Tangy Toms were great too.

Those were the ones I was thinking off! Thank you.
    Forum Member

The orange ones definitely had chocolate orange in, were my favourite ones :(
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TAB cola is still available in the USA. You can get it over here in shops like Cybercandy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piglet crisps were my fav from the tuck shop. Bacon and bean flavour! Spiderman crisps were nice too.

Golden Cup was always much nicer than a Cadburys Caramel.