Myra Hindley: The Untold Story

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nasty, salacious garbage. Exploitative, badly made, and featuring actors and interviewees with no self respect or standards. Channel Five at its worst.

Comments

• Goodboy2686Goodboy2686 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Nasty, salacious garbage. Exploitative, badly made, and featuring actors and interviewees with no self respect or standards. Channel Five at its worst.

Bit harsh isnt it? do you know any of the actors or the interviewees? why is it no respect or standards to portray these people? These stories should never be allowed to be forgotten. There is still a child missing and people need to know that this things happens. We cant just let it be swept under the carpet
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's very interesting
    Forum Member
    Me too. I think the people playing Myra and Ian are very good and convincing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit harsh isnt it? do you know any of the actors or the interviewees? why is it no respect or standards to portray these people? These stories should never be allowed to be forgotten. There is still a child missing and people need to know that this things happens. We cant just let it be swept under the carpet

Are you actually watching it? My comment had nothing to do with the subject matter, it's about people grubbing around in other people's misery for an easy payday. It's not educational or informative when something is cobbled together using hearsay and (as the programme admits) using excerpts from Hindley's "memoirs" which were being written as a means of gaining sympathy at parole hearings.

There are several very well written books on the Moors' Murderers available. This adds nothing new at all.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was made clear from early on in the documentary that Myra Hindley's memoirs should be treated with caution - due to her trying to elicit sympathy for herself. It's not as if her account is being treated as gospel - far from it!

Overall, I think the documentary is interesting and it looks at Hindley pretty objectively.
    Forum Member
    Are you actually watching it? My comment had nothing to do with the subject matter, it's about people grubbing around in other people's misery for an easy payday. It's not educational or informative when something is cobbled together using hearsay and (as the programme admits) using excerpts from Hindley's "memoirs" which were being written as a means of gaining sympathy at parole hearings.

There are several very well written books on the Moors' Murderers available. This adds nothing new at all.

Yes I'm watching. It is about Myra so her view needs to be taken into account regardless of why she wrote it. The facts are facts and the show isnt changing that. The interviews are not hearsay either they are witness accounts.
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you, I've seen Channel 5 at it's best and I perceived no difference. ;)
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either watch it or don't, but stop trolling! :rolleyes:
  • Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't the sort of programme I'd watch, but I caught it about 10 minutes in and found it very interesting. My only criticism would be that the actors who play Hindley and Brady are too attractive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either watch it or don't, but stop trolling! :rolleyes:

I see a healthy conflict of opinion here, but no trolling. Aren't trolls people who turn up in threads, say something a bit pithy but don't actually contribute to the debate?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it and, whilst it's not the best of it's kind I've ever seen, I found it quite interesting. Channel 5 is really cranking up the horror tonight though. Hindley, followed by H H Holmes, followed Big Brother!:eek::D
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I refuse to watch things like this for precisely those reasons.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These stories should never be allowed to be forgotten. There is still a child missing and people need to know that this things happens. We cant just let it be swept under the carpet

I was born in 1969, just after the case. Until age 15, I'd never even heard of the Moors Murderers.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in 1969, just after the case. Until age 15, I'd never even heard of the Moors Murderers.

Why should you ? It was a nasty case for a few weeks in 1966, then the world moved on and other news took centre stage, The Shepherd's Bush Murders, The World Cup, Aberfan

I wish the hell the TV companies would move on.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should you ? It was a nasty case for a few weeks in 1966, then the world moved on and other news took centre stage, The Shepherd's Bush Murders, The World Cup, Aberfan
    Brady and Hindley were often in the news throughout the 70's and 80's along with other notorious killers. The fascination that surrounds the case and kept it in the public eye and consciousness was largely the involvement of Hindley. Where as most serial killers are lone males, a young couple acting together to commit the crimes made them very unusual. It's this aspect of the case that made the documentary very interesting as it attempted to piece together the sequence of events that allowed them to become partners in murder.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

I completely disagree. I thought it was very interesting and informative, and gave me a lot of information about an angle of the case that I didn't know much about. Apart from anything else, it completely blew apart any idea that Myra Hindley was a vulnerable victim who was somehow manipulated or coerced by Brady; she was as psychotic and manipulative as he was, and equally devoid of empathy for other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »
    This isn't the sort of programme I'd watch, but I caught it about 10 minutes in and found it very interesting. My only criticism would be that the actors who play Hindley and Brady are too attractive.

I agree, the 'Myra' was far too sexy!
  • MorningCazzMorningCazz Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and, whilst it's not the best of it's kind I've ever seen, I found it quite interesting. Channel 5 is really cranking up the horror tonight though. Hindley, followed by H H Holmes, followed Big Brother!:eek::D

The HH Holmes programme was truly appalling with barber shop singers and pictures totally unrelated to the case! :mad:
  • MorningCazzMorningCazz Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but I did think the Myra Hindley programme was informative and interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else watching tonight?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    How many times are they going to repeat this :o

No watched the first time round.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    I agree, the 'Myra' was far too sexy!

Actually, at the time they committed the crimes, from the pictures I've seen, they were a very aesthetically attractive couple.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive always thought it sad that the murder of Edward Evans is little more than an after thought in all of these documentaries. Little is ever said about him - they didnt even show a picture in this particular documentary,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is very sad, poor lad.

I didn't realise these programmes were repeats, but then again they're not the sort of thing I would normally watch, I just caught it when channel hopping.

I disagree that they were an attractive couple. They most definitely were not in my eyes, not at any point, they were both very rough looking.
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very informative, there was a lot more revealed in this than other documentaries. Guy who played Ian did resemble him, but seemed a lot older tham Brady really was at the time.