BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    5 Live are now a sport station. News is just peripheral.

The biggest joke is the BBC news channel is also a sports channel as well.
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    Yawn. More wall-to-wall coverage of the games, including Nicky Campbell broadcasting from an empty stadium at 7am.

The stadium has to be empty to get him, his ego and both those massive chips in his shoulders in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    pondsman wrote: »
    Nicky Campbell's Scottish credentials somewhat compromised this morning when interviewing the family of Scots boxer McFadden. Was clearly struggling with the Motherwell accents and some of the 'cultural references'. But he is from Edinburgh, after all.

Inverse snobbery? Surely not...
  • pondsmanpondsman Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    There was nothing inverse about it!
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    Yawn. More wall-to-wall coverage of the games, including Nicky Campbell broadcasting from an empty stadium at 7am.

I've heard the main competition, is not in the actual events at the Commonwealth Games but which 5live presenter can go the longest without mentioning the London Olympics.
    Forum Member
    I've heard the main competition, is not in the actual events at the Commonwealth Games but which 5live presenter can go the longest without mentioning the London Olympics.

Rather like the World Cup and how long a media moron takes to mention 1966.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You heard it on Dead Ringers about 20 minutes previously.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband on Iain Dale Lbc on Friday 5pm. Miliband joins Harman, Boris Johnson, Farage, Clegg (spit) and other "heavyweights" on Lbc. One wonders why the politicians are not on with Nolan or Derbyshire on Five?
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband on Iain Dale Lbc on Friday 5pm. Miliband joins Harman, Boris Johnson, Farage, Clegg (spit) and other "heavyweights" on Lbc. One wonders why the politicians are not on with Nolan or Derbyshire on Five?

& call balls on tonight as well...as dreary and tiresome as this clown is he is recognised as high in political circles ....as our new poster above said my listening would be improved by Nolan being booted out too...

Maybe the reason the BBC aren't having them on is may be its a short hop from Parliament to the LBC studio in Leicester Square (yes I know they aren't supposed to be there at moment however Millbank isn't far either.....

whereas Salford is..errmm miles away.....may be the ridiculous vanity project folly of HS2 will make it easier to get there for politicians?? No.....didn't think so.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    & call balls on tonight as well...as dreary and tiresome as this clown is he is recognised as high in political circles ....as our new poster above said my listening would be improved by Nolan being booted out too...

Maybe the reason the BBC aren't having them on is may be its a short hop from Parliament to the LBC studio in Leicester Square (yes I know they aren't supposed to be there at moment however Millbank isn't far either.....

whereas Salford is..errmm miles away.....may be the ridiculous vanity project folly of HS2 will make it easier to get there for politicians?? No.....didn't think so.....

It would be interesting to know why the "top" politicians are rushing to Lbc rather than the national broadcaster, bearing in mind some on DS state: Lbc is solely London centric ;and it's national dab will take along time to break through.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know why the "top" politicians are rushing to Lbc rather than the national broadcaster, bearing in mind some on DS state: Lbc is solely London centric ;and it's national dab will take along time to break through.

As the BBC spent £20 million on consultants last year they were presumably the same consultants who said spending billions on a PR job to "appear" less London -centric so moving to Salford would be a sound idea and wouldn't affect the quality of guests......

Unfortunately London is the UK capital...blame the Romans if you want but there's no way of changing it now......actors,pluggers and politicians especially foreign ones gravitate to there when in GB....it's farcical to pretend they won't....

I was born there but i no longer want to spend time there ....I live in rural Devon by choice but don't blame anyone for wanting to be there.....what film people (for example) would have a clue where I live is or indeed where Salford is??? That's right........virtually zero...
    No problem it's obvious they wouldn't but the beeb knew this too.....they just put heads in the Sand.....
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swansea Steve, Station ID, and Phil Ander - a representative view above, or one from a Moaning Minnie? IMO, representative.

if you read all of my posts, rather than the bits you choose to pick out, you'll see that I've said the CG coverage is too much! I merely pointed out to you that you don't have any evidence (apart from a few regular posters on an internet forum) that 5Live's figures are being adversely affected by the CG coverage. clear now?
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I am so fed up of this wall-to-wall coverage of the Games, which even continues until 1 a.m. Radio 5 Live is unlistenable to at the moment. There are only 4 hours in the day when the Games aren't on and that's when most of us are asleep. The bonus is that I have found more stations to listen to and I may not even go back to 5 Live being my first choice and where I did most of my listening. I have to dip in and out of other stations, as none provide all day listening, but it is broadening my horizons.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't mind betting they've lost a few listeners over it. I've been listening to LBC instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LBC's listening figures are down, so the move of listeners to 'national LBC' isn't quite happening yet? maybe next quarter?
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derbyshire is a wet lettuce and nolan likes to bark, unless he likes you then he'll lick you.
    the top politicians mostly sharing the ethos of lbc know they will get a very safe ride.

balls and miliband have been persuaded that they need to have some exposure for labour on the station which is generally negative towards .. in doing so they create the idea that lbc is the only place to go to be heard mostly unchallenged.

i suspect its not a good move for ed and ed since whilst giving a platform as with the sun they also undermine the politics - something which they are less likely to commit with their ukip/tory friends.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well all I can say is i have been listening to LBC since the games begun and a lot before,I haven't listened to one event, I am 98% LBC and 2% BBC R4.

Thats not to say it is all good but much better then the overdone sport that they won't touch again until another jolly turns up, same goes for BBC1 TV as well, I read the threads though and the reason BBC in Salford exists was because the BBC where spending around 98% of the licence fee in London so Salford was born also new and expensive local BBC radio buildings in Glasgow and Leicester to name two..

What sums it up for me was some poster turning on BBC1 at peak hours to see some obscure sport being played out yet if the same sport held an invent in a months time it wouldn't get a BBC mention anywhere, I can't see how the BBC radio and TV audience numbers won't take a nose dive,,,,,:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you read all of my posts, rather than the bits you choose to pick out, you'll see that I've said the CG coverage is too much! I merely pointed out to you that you don't have any evidence (apart from a few regular posters on an internet forum) that 5Live's figures are being adversely affected by the CG coverage. clear now?

No. .
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced the BBC thinks the Commonwealth Games are that good, despite the coverage.

Yesterday England were playing Scotland in the hockey. Nicky Campbell was there. All through the match he was inviting the listeners to call in to say how good the Commonwealth Games are. If they were so good, why was 5 Livve broadcasting a phone-in about them instead of commentating on the match to which they sent Nicky Campbell? They wouldn't do that if England were playing Scotland in the football. If they're not going to broadcast commentary on an event, there is no point in them being present at the event.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am left wondering if the BBC massive over saturation on it's main outputs is more to do with Scottish Independence vote than any games , Salmond can't now say that the BBC ignore Scotland can he.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. .

It is pretty simple really .
    you think that the posters on this thread represent what the majority of 5Live listeners think. I'm not so sure. for example, look at the DS thread for talksport, a station that has just posted its most successful listening figures ever. to read the thread, you'd think it was on its knees with listeners turning off in their droves, but clearly they aren't. you are a big fan of LBC, but again, their thread is full of complaints (many justified IMO) about their output. For the first time in a long time, LBC's listening figures have dropped slightly, which ties in a bit more with their thread on here, but for a long time, their figures were rising/holding steady despite the negative comments from many on that thread.the comments and criticisms of 5Live in this thread are just our oppinions, and we really shouldn't delude ourselves that they are anything more. (awaits sarcastic response, which, will try, and fail to be amusing).
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is that unless the obsessive haters on this thread who are not representative of the normal listening public (despite what they think) have RAJAR diaries then I am afraid the meltdown some are wishing for will not happen.

Certain posters predicted that "national LBC" was going to trounce Five Live in this quarter, it didn't happen. Maybe next time though eh guys?:p
  • Ross RevengeRoss Revenge Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to find out how their on-line UK listening figures are faring during the games? Should be pretty easy to get this data I'd have thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    The fact is that unless the obsessive haters on this thread who are not representative of the normal listening public (despite what they think) have RAJAR diaries then I am afraid the meltdown some are wishing for will not happen.

Certain posters predicted that "national LBC" was going to trounce Five Live in this quarter, it didn't happen. Maybe next time though eh guys?:p

I can wait.

Five was once excellent. Thanks to Derbyshire's misery, Campbell's ego, Nolan, Mandela coverage, Commonwealth Games faux wonderment etc. - it's crap.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Reynolds, the Radio Critic in the Telegraph isn't happy either about the wall to wall coverage of the CG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10998594/The-BBC-must-learn-that-big-isnt-always-beautiful.html
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Gillian Reynolds, the Radio Critic in the Telegraph isn't happy either about the wall to wall coverage of the CG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10998594/The-BBC-must-learn-that-big-isnt-always-beautiful.html

''.. they all sound like kids who've eaten too much sugar..''

Like it Gillian !
This discussion has been closed.