Options

Nikon D5000 or Canon D500?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
Forum Member
I want to buy a SLR camera and I have been researching into them for the last month or so (because I want to make sure I get the right one, suited to myself) and I've finally come to the conclusion that it will be either of these.

Now, I'm leaning towards the Nikon D5000 ever so slightly but I just want your personal opinions on which one of these is the better one and which one should I get?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    DSLRs...
    Currently Canon rule.

The Nikon will be cheaper, but the Canon is the better camera.
    If you're really serious about your photography, get the Canon.
    If you're less serious, get the Nikon, and put the savings towards accessories.....memory, batteries, etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually Canon are behind Nikon in sales and specs. Remember that the pixel count has nothing to do with image quality.

Nikon has a more intuitive control layout (ie. on/off switch falls to where your shutter release button is)

It is a personal choice to be honest. The built quality is pretty much a match.

Both will take great shots, but checkout sites like DPreview Ephotozine and even have a look round Flickr for examples of images with both cameras.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the advice :)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there are two things to consider:
    1. If you already have a lens collection or which one has the better lens collection (in terms of price, quality, choice).

2. Simple personal preference as to the control layout. I prefer the Canon layout and method to Nikon.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Have a look here

Sam Beau wrote: »
    DSLRs...
    Currently Canon rule.

The Nikon will be cheaper, but the Canon is the better camera.
    If you're really serious about your photography, get the Canon.
    If you're less serious, get the Nikon, and put the savings towards accessories.....memory, batteries, etc...

Who says?!?! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look here

Who says?!?! :p

I was trying to diplomatically say that Sam was talking crap!... People on forums will always post their opinion and not experiences as fact, when in the real world it is misleading...

Try both of them and see which one feels better for you in your hands, where are certain controls, how does the camera balance in the hands.

The colours, contrast and sharpness, can be customs set so ignore the images that you see in the shop in that respect.

I have been a photographer for seven years and change my camera every three years. I am currently shooting with the Nikon D300 and shoot 50, 000 plus frames a year.

I also teach photography on one to one courses.

Recently I have been playing with a filter that reduces light by ten F stops. This means that I can do 30 seconds or more, when shooting landscape photos. Giving motion blur to water and clouds.

SummerRain, the thing to consider is what kind s of photography interest you. Think about filters. I use the Cokin P system of slide in filters that you use with a screw on holder.
    Graduated filters are great for landscapes as they can reduce the light from the sky giving a more even image exposure.

Memory in the high street is not cheap. So when you know what card format your new camera will take order one of the better cards by Sandisk or Lexar.
    Memory is the bottleneck and is worth having good and fast cards.

I have Sandisk Extreme 3's that are 4 or 8GB. Mymemory or 7dayshop or good places to shop.

Also have a look at GraysofWestminster.co.uk as they are only Nikon dealers and have a good second hand section, better camera in the range for the money you have!

Park Cameras in Hove have an excellent reputation, but it depends where you are in the country.....

For tuition vids, I will be posting some on Youtube soon and you can also check out vids by Dom Bower on Youtube too..

Have a look round the nice community sites like Camera craniums. Very helpful forums etc...

If you have any other questions feel free to post here or PM me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good advice ^

The first bit of advice given to this kind of question is go and try them out, see what feels comfortable (Jessops etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much OldHippy :)

I will tell you all which one I pick when I eventually buy it. Thanks again for the advice :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SummerRain wrote: »
    Thank you very much OldHippy :)

I will tell you all which one I pick when I eventually buy it. Thanks again for the advice :D

A pleasure, if there is anything you are unsure of give me a shout. Happy to help!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Canon EOS 500d at the beginning of December, and I love it. My main reason was that I already had a Canon EOS film SLR so could make use of all the lenses etc I already had, I'm not an expert by any means, but I have done a couple City & Guilds photography courses, so know my way around.

I have to say, it's so easy to use, and the picture quality is awesome! I have yet to find anything that frustrates me.

My O/H would kill for the Nikon D90, but has conceded that the EOS has been pretty impressive so far. All I really need to do now is learn how to process RAW files properly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    muffin789 wrote: »

My O/H would kill for the Nikon D90, but has conceded that the EOS has been pretty impressive so far. All I really need to do now is learn how to process RAW files properly!

Highly recommend LightRoom if you don't already have it!
    I've posted shots on photography forums to learn about PP, learnt lots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Darthchaffinch, Though I have not used it myself, I have seen fantastic things done with it. I have got myself Photoshop Elements, which is pretty good for selcting and bringing out specific areas in a photo.

On the right side of the car I brought out the reflected sunset...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/4151202052/

And here on the rear wheel arch..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/4150442501/in/photostream/

But if you can afford Lightroom, go for it, a steep learning curve and maybe a course to get the best, though there are plenty of video and tutorials online...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello again everyone, been a while :D

I've decided to go with the Nikon D5000, I held it and it just felt right, I'm going to be buying it this week :)

Thank you for all the help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on making your decision. If you need anything else, just shout.

I am looking at lenses at the moment.. Starting with the fab 50mm F1.4 G £289

Don't forget to have a look Coking filters etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you Oldhippy :) I will.
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello again everyone, been a while :D

I've decided to go with the Nikon D5000, I held it and it just felt right, I'm going to be buying it this week :)

Nice camera and congratulations, the kit 18-55 lens is a corker but don't forget to put a 52mm UV filter on just for protection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldhippy wrote: »

I am looking at lenses at the moment.. Starting with the fab 50mm F1.4 G £289

Oldhippy, have you had a look at the Nikkor 35mm F1.8G DX and the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF D Primes. I found both lenses for £169 and £89 respectively, 2 lenses for the price of 1!!!!. Both lovely lenses, Is it worth the extra for F1.4 ? and I believe the 50mm is a little bit soft wide open. And err...sorry for hijacking the thread.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dacco wrote: »
    Nice camera and congratulations, the kit 18-55 lens is a corker but don't forget to put a 52mm UV filter on just for protection.

Thank you for this advice :) And no worries, hijack the thread all you want :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Draco, a UV filter on the front of a lens is pretty much a waste of time, one, it will actually degrade image quality and two, a DSLR has a UV filter built into the sensor...

I would never recommend having a filter permanently on lens.

On a sensor like a D300/D200/D90/D80 etc the 35mm focal length would effectively be 52.5mm (full frame sensor and 35mm film) The 50mm will effectively be a 75mm and yes it has been said it is a touch soft at F1.4, but to be honest you will not use it at F1.4 very often as the DOF will be very shallow.. F2 -F4 will be pretty good for a portrait and will leave the tip of the nose sharp... At F1.4 it might not be..

At the 50mm end for meI think the 50mm will be the best bet..

So alwaysleave the filter off until you need it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just commenting from experience, as you are....But....easier to replace a filter than a scratched opitic/lens, not worried weather it's a UV, Polarising or whatever(image quality accepted)....And I know about the DX and FX bit, 35mm makes a very nice normal lens on a DX sensor though. Just pointing out the 2 for 1 bit, why pay £289 for a 1/3 of a stop when you can have a 50mm F1.8 AF-D and a 35mm f1.8 for the same price(well slightly less)...although on the D5000-D3000-D40/60 etc, the 50mm F1.8 AF-D will have no autofocus , No AF motor built in.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Best way to do it, i am a Canon user but i always tell people to buy the brand they like the look and feel of, in use the differences are negligible unless you are really anal about it so you might as well get one you are happy with.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After months of considering, I went for the Canon 500D over the Nikon D5000.

The Canon is a great camera and I think I made the right choice.
  • Options
    spikejspikej Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 18-55 kit lens is a little beaut, at f/8 or f/11 it is lovely and sharp and is a fantastic lens to start you off with a entry level Nikon dSLR.

If your thinking prime lenses then the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a great lens which has fantastic IQ if you get a good copy of it (Sigma's can occasionally be a bit bad in terms of QC). I have the 35mm f/1.8 but I find it to have too much barrel distortion for my liking (not that isn't fixable). Will probably trade it for the Sigma or Nikon 35mm f/2 in time.

And as for the person who say only get a Canon if your serious about your photography - what tosh. Nikon & Canon both make fantastic cameras and lenses and both, at the end of the day, are only as good as the person who is behind them.
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    spikej wrote: »
    The 18-55 kit lens is a little beaut, at f/8 or f/11 it is lovely and sharp and is a fantastic lens to start you off with a entry level Nikon dSLR.
    ...and let's not forget that oh so handy VR in the kit lens as well. I've recently bought my first SLR and I am now also a Nikon kinda guy. The Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s SD cards are excellent, and as a bonus you can currently pick one up on Amazon for £17.99 plus I think £2 P&P which is a great price :)

(held a Sony A230 in the shop while I was in the research phase - yuck!)
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a email from canon re new EOS 550
    http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_550D/index.asp

No price yet but i think it will replace the 500 ? just look at he spec !

Why is it that all SLR's are stuck at 3 x 2 aspect ratio ? when did you last see a square monitor or TV . The canon shoots avcHD video in normal 16 x 9 why cant it shoot stills in the correct format .
    Ian