Options

2012 has been the best year of BB since 2006

MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
Forum Member
✭✭✭
CBB9 was great, BB13 is actually my favourite civilian series although I know some people on here would disagree, and the current CBB is also thoroughly entertaining.

The fact is the old format was tired and stale, it took a while for me to get used to the changes (music, montages, name banners, hashtags etc), but in all honesty change was absolutely necessary for Big Brother to remain somewhat relevant and the producers have done a damn good job at reinventing the show, even if it has alienated some viewers, it has also attracted new viewers.

2007 will of course where everything went tits up with a disastrous CBB and an awful summer series, 2008 had a decent BB but also had the horrendous Celebrity Hijack.

2009 was also a terrible year, with the worst CBB ever and a completely forgettable normal series followed by the news of the show's cancellation.

2010 had a good CBB, an average BB and a decent but forgettable 'Ultimate' series.

2011 had a lot riding on it with the new brand of BB, and although BB12 was a bit of a letdown it really wasn't as terrible as people make out. CBB8 on the other hand was a real snoozefest.

In my opinion 2012 has been the first consistently good year for the show since 2006 (CBB4, BB7).

Comments

• Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB13 was atrocious, in my bottom 3, along with BB8 and BB4.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't watch BB13..I totally lost interest after the Josie and JJ debacle.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    January had my two favourite BB series since 2006 (CBB9 and Israeli Big Brother 4).

This summer has been pretty bad though - BB13's one of the worst series ever for me (bottom three with BB4 and BB8), this CBB is average and US BB is below average. Enjoyed last summer's shows more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    The normal series didn't interest me at all. I only watch the Celebrity ones because of the contestants. I just think they've become unambitious, relying on the same 'twists' and awful secrets tasks and they've messed about with the format too much. They need to go back and watch BB5/CBB3.
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB13 ratings were up from BB12.
    CBB9 ratings were up from CBB8.
    The current CBB ratings are about on par with CBB9.

The proof is in the pudding. :cool:
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    MrBing wrote: »
    The proof is in the pudding. :cool:

If you relied on ratings as an indicator of quality, 2007 would be a vintage year :eek:

Apart from the blip for the amazingness of CBB9, the C5 shows seem to have all been fairly static with not much difference between them (especially since BB12 had the misfortune of airing outside of summer).
  • Options
    bigbrotherwafabigbrotherwafa Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrBing wrote: »
    CBB9 was great, BB13 is actually my favourite civilian series although I know some people on here would disagree, and the current CBB is also thoroughly entertaining.

The fact is the old format was tired and stale, it took a while for me to get used to the changes (music, montages, name banners, hashtags etc), but in all honesty change was absolutely necessary for Big Brother to remain somewhat relevant and the producers have done a damn good job at reinventing the show, even if it has alienated some viewers, it has also attracted new viewers.

2007 will of course where everything went tits up with a disastrous CBB and an awful summer series, 2008 had a decent BB but also had the horrendous Celebrity Hijack.

2009 was also a terrible year, with the worst CBB ever and a completely forgettable normal series followed by the news of the show's cancellation.

2010 had a good CBB, an average BB and a decent but forgettable 'Ultimate' series.

2011 had a lot riding on it with the new brand of BB, and although BB12 was a bit of a letdown it really wasn't as terrible as people make out. CBB8 on the other hand was a real snoozefest.

In my opinion 2012 has been the first consistently good year for the show since 2006 (CBB4, BB7).

Agree with all of this :-)
  • Options
    bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBB9 was my all time favourite celeb series! A great mix of drama and comedy and tons of storylines from different housemates to keep you intrested every night. Also the task/house were great and there was a buzz about the series as it progressed.

I enjoyed BB13. There were some nights when the show was very miserable and it lacked in comedy moments but it had some brillant housemates and i loved the outsiders vs insiders as it provided some brillant moments of television. A particular favourite was deana being saved second time and finshing top of the votes. It also provided some great tasks from turf wars to the lab rats task. I liked the house and the eye and overall its my 4th favourite series of all time.

CBB10 is another good series. Good mix of comedy and drama and some great tasks once again. Great casting by the production team once again and i feel liked we've come on a journey with them. I would rate it my 3rd/4th favourite.

So,yes,i think 2012 has been a great year for BB!! Keep up the good work channel 5 :D
  • Options
    027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped to say I completely agree here. 2012 has re-affirmed my love for the show which has waned considerably over the years. 2011 in particular was a very tough year, but now I am a full on fan again. Glued to the highlights pretty much every night. I just wish live feed was back properly.

CBB9 was of course amazing and I already want to rewatch it. It played out almost perfectly and has cemented itself as my favourite celeb series and 2nd fave series of BBUK ever altogether. That's how much I really enjoyed it and rushed home every night to watch it. It really did feel like BB was back and there was some buzz around the series which I haven't seen in a long time. Proving the show still has plenty of life.

BB13 was by no means perfect. It had its fair share of problems and nastiness in abundance but it still kept me hooked right until the very end despite a few depressing patches. I got really invested into the whole thing and cared each week about who would stay and who would go. I haven't enjoyed a regular series of BB so much since BB9.

This CBB has managed to hold my interest quite well so far as well. Although the boot order has been less than impressive so far I have still found myself laughing through a lot of the episodes which is something BB13 was missing a lot of the time. Also, it feels a bit draining having another series immediately follow regular BB (even though it amounts to the same amount of weeks as BB7-BB10 did). I think I will appreciate it even more as time passes.

IMO, C5 have finally started to find their footing with the brand and are breathing new life into the show again. I really do think they get an unneccessary amount of hatred on here (or the current production team) because it's as if history has been re-written. C5 have actually done more to help the show than harm it and have managed to fix a few of the problems that it had in the latter days of C4.

The other problems and criticisms being aimed at the show now were all present during the BB8-BB11 days as well, so I don't know why people are placing all the blame with the new guys when they're got one hell of a hole to dig themselves out of to begin with.The only place they've really gone wrong has been the live feed. C5 may have tried and failed at a few experiments (BB13 noms talk for example) but they've listened to feedback and rectified them.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I agree actually. I was going to disagree, but even with the poor second half BB13 was still one of the best series in quite a few years. CBB9 was just an all-time classic series as far as I'm concerned and even this series has been quite compelling if not quite on the same level. A shaky start for C5 last year but they've really found their feet this year IMO.
  • Options
    HIGHERSTATEHIGHERSTATE Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen all BB apart from 2..

And I think this is the worst and the nastiest year...

but then again ive never been enthralled by CBB....theyre not as natural or random as the normal BB.
  • Options
    SourGrapesSourGrapes Posts: 4,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a good year - not as good as 2008 and 2009 though, which had my two favourite normal series, plus I actually liked BBCH and the other celebrity series was decent

This year started off strong with the excellent CBB9 which is by a distance my favourite celebrity series and I thought the normal series was solid too, certainly a huge improvement on the previous two. It was too nasty at times though and there were a few awful people in there, whilst the white room thing was a spectacular failure. We got a decent winner, it's a shame Lydia left so early but I still had Sara and Luke A to root for and overall I enjoyed it. I think this second celebrity series has been a big disappointment however, ending the BB year on a bit of a low.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's been the best for BB since 2008.

CBB9 was better than CBB6,but BB9 was better than BB13. So far CBB10 is pretty good.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to note if CBB10 final manages over a 2.7m overnight (which is possible) it would be the first series in general since 2006 (BB7) where a final outrates the launch. Could happen.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CBB9 - Was an ok series, less said about the winner though the better

BB13 - Much too negative from the off, the only saving grace being the all Outsider top 3 which can't be airbrushed from BB history. Cheats and bullies were allowed to prosper and b*tching was actively encouraged. Rules made up as they went along. The list is endless

CBB10 - Should have been saved for January as we are barely coming out of a very negative regular series and the burnout is very noticeable. Just a case of going through the motions in this final week.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd seriously like to know how the OP can possibly rate the miserable, hideous BB13 as the best ever regular series?
    What on earth did that give us that series like BB5 didn't :confused: