Should parents be banned from owning dogs?

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Another child killed.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article4002251.ece

In light of the recent vote in parliament on the banning of smoking in cars. In order to be consistent, should parents of small children be banned from owning animals?

Here is definite proof that children die but I bet they do nothing about it because they are a bunch of hypocrites.

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because not every animal's a killer.
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another child killed.

In light of the recent vote in parliament on the banning of smoking in cars. In order to be consistent, should parents of small children be banned from owning animals?

Here is definite proof that children die but I bet they do nothing about it because they are a bunch of hypocrites.

I wouldn't put it past this country! they love banning everything and after all it would be "to protect the children"
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another child killed.

Children are more likely to be killed by their parents or in a RTA than by a dog - maybe we should ban small children from cars or ban small children
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. The state already has too much control over our lives. A lot of it under the guise of "keeping us safe" we don't need any more. It should be up to the individual to exercise their own judgement and accept responsibility for our own lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    No. The state already has too much control over our lives. A lot of it under the guise of "keeping us safe" we don't need any more. It should be up to the individual to exercise their own judgement and accept responsibility for our own lives.

are you joking? the populace of the UK love giving up their freedoms for more protection from the state! most people are acclimatised to the nanny state and this wont change over night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    are you joking? the populace of the UK love giving up their freedoms for more protection from the state! most people are acclimatised to the nanny state and this wont change over night

You change it one step at a time. The first step is to stop introducing any more nanny state legislation like the op proposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You change it one step at a time. The first step is to stop introducing any more nanny state legislation like the op proposes.

I agree but it wont happen!! especially at the next GE if Labour get in, they are the kings of the nanny state/police state
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely brilliant idea, I think we shouldn't stop there though, I think we should ban parents with small children from livin in a house with stairs, electricity, water, especially hot water, anything sharp or hard, no duck ponds or swimming pools allowed, we should ban small children from being carried in any vehicle,
    In fact in order to ensure the total safety of small children we should probably ban small children, and insist that people only have children over the age of 10,
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely brilliant idea, I think we shouldn't stop there though, I think we should ban parents with small children from livin in a house with stairs, electricity, water, especially hot water, anything sharp or hard, no duck ponds or swimming pools allowed, we should ban small children from being carried in any vehicle,
    In fact in order to ensure the total safety of small children we should probably ban small children, and insist that people only have children over the age of 10,

So you are against the smoking in cars with children bill?
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Totally disagree with the op's suggestion. However tragic this case, the overwhelming majority of dogs bring joy and happiness into people's lives, especially young kids. Some of my fondest memeories are playing with our Golden Retriever and my aunt's Labradors as a child.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Another child killed.

No. It is important however to realise that Dogs are pack animals and a dog sees the family they live with as a member of the pack. A new baby can upset that. It is important therefore that the dog is made to understand that the baby is also a member of the pack - and not to leave them alone with the baby until that is clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am and I'm a non smoker its a ridiculous law!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    I am and I'm a non smoker its a ridiculous law!!

It's a Labour proposal. They tend to be heavy on ideology and light on practicality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Labour proposal. They tend to be heavy on ideology and light on practicality.

Labour ban everything every other law that they come out with is something to ban I can't stand them and I never understand why people vote for them
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

And definately no moats.;-)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

for once I agree with you :o
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes,I am, but only because I believe smoking, eating and drinking while in 'control' of a ton of metal and glass travelling at speeds of up to (and over) 70mph should at the very least carry the same penalty as using a mobile phone,
    Take risks with your own life as much as you like you will always find me supporting your right to do so,
    Take risks with MY life and the lives of others,..... and I will have a tendency to get a 'tad' annoyed.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should parents be banned from owning dogs?

No, we should have a law against the ownership of certain breeds of dangerous dogs..

Except we already have, don't we...

Here we had an illegal breed of dog - but noone seems to police this set of regulations EXCEPT when something happens.

Get the policing of perfectly good existing regulations right.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I hate dogs, but no, parents shouldn't be banned from keeping them. That's stupidity. It should be made clear though that they are (potentially criminally) responsible if their dog attacks their child.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    No. It is important however to realise that Dogs are pack animals and a dog sees the family they live with as a member of the pack. A new baby can upset that. It is important therefore that the dog is made to understand that the baby is also a member of the pack - and not to leave them alone with the baby until that is clear.

It is also very important to bring children up to treat animals with love, respect and knowledge in how to care for them.

I get the impression some parents get pets for their kids as glorified toys.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that one of the responsibilities of owning a dog is to take lessons on how to control the dog. I know you used to have to had a dog license and I am not sure if that still applies but surely it makes no sense to allow people to just buy a dog without having a clue how to look after it.

Also if you are parents surely you should look at the breed of dog you choose as I believe some are more child-friendly than others.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not banned. But putting in prison a parent that allows their small child to be left alone with a dog that savages it, why not? If we imprison someone who kills another through dangerous driving I see no reason to treat a dog any differently.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    no

/thread
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how they can ban parents from having dogs, unless they bring back compulsory dog licenses I can't see how they will know who owns a dog.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Not banned. But putting in prison a parent that allows their small child to be left alone with a dog that savages it, why not? If we imprison someone who kills another through dangerous driving I see no reason to treat a dog any differently.

I would agree with that. Manslaughter by Gross Negligence is absolutely the correct charge. If found guilty, there is a wide spectrum of sentencing available with the likelihood of several years in prison, where I suspect other prisoners would not look on them favourably.