Opening Ceremony & Brazil vs Croatia 7pm ITV (9pm KO)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
Forum Member
I'm so excited to see the start of the world cup tonight and whether Croatia can kick things off with a shock result against the favourites and hosts.
Feel free to post all your comments about the ceremony and game in this thread for live discussion of everything that's happening.
Enjoy the match! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Head-to-head record: Played 2 Brazil Wins 1 Draws 1
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    It is great and exciting that the World Cup starts today, already a thread on this though,

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1970319&page=2
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    It is great and exciting that the World Cup starts today, already a thread on this though,

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1970319&page=2

That thread is for discussion of the group, this is for if people want to talk during the live broadcast. :)
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Peter_Lamy wrote: »
    That thread is for discussion of the group, this is for if people want to talk during the live broadcast. :)

It was meant as a coverall to eliminate the individual match threads that spammed the forum over the past few tournaments as far as I know. Discussion of the group would naturally include that of games within the group, so this is a duplicate thread.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear :D. To be honest I prefer individual match threads. I didn't realise the forum had reached a consensus on how we were discussing the tournament. If anything, this tournament is going to be worse than usual on here with group and match threads. Match threads have been used for as long as I can remember, and I don't see why that should change. Yes there is often debate over who starts them leading to some bring started ridiculously early but that's just the way it is.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with an individual thread for the opening cermony and first match of the World Cup. Maybe someone should start a 'regular posters moaning thread' so the rest of us can get on with talking about the football.

As for tonights match, I predict a nervy 1,0 win for Brazil.
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for anyone that is not aware

The opening ceremony of the World Cup and the opening match will be shown exclusively live ONLY on ITV from 7pm this evening.

The BBC will be showing highlights immediately following the conclusion of the match (ITV hold the exclusive live rights to this match in the United Kingdom, following a match share agreement between the broadcasters)
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the stadium manages to stay in one piece. It's not been tested to full capacity as yet!
  • knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish for the purpose of the WC we could have individual sub-forums for each Group, then there could be individual match threads which could be kept seperate from specific discussions about teams, players, goals etc.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I've never bothered with the opening before, i'm all about the game. So should be an interesting watch.

Expecting Brazil to trounce Croatia, I imagine they're hyped for it after the build up of being the home nation.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the Opening Ceremony is on tonight, Shame its on ITV as the adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be a fab game, I'd expect a Brazil win (although Croatia aren't too shabby).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Opening Ceremony is on tonight, Shame its on ITV as the adverts.

Not to mention any goals scored will be in an unexpected break. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Not to mention any goals scored will be in an unexpected break. :D

BBC Radio 5 Live won't miss it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio 5 Live won't miss it.

That's true. I shall be watching TV with the sound off and 5 Live on throughout the tournament.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true. I shall be watching TV with the sound off and 5 Live on throughout the tournament.

Even on the BBC matches which usually have 5Live on the Red Button? I think no commentary may be better sometimes anyways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even on the BBC matches which usually have 5Live on the Red Button? I think no commentary may be better sometimes anyways.

I'll see. The 5 Live commentary on DAB is always about a second ahead of the TV so it might be better to red button on BBC matches.
    Forum Member

But surely the pictures and sound won't be in sync?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely the pictures and sound won't be in sync?

It doesn't really matter that much. It's only a second or two. I'm so used to the 5 Live voices now that I have to have them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brazil should win this one but I always remember when France were odds on to beat Senegal in the 2002 opener and look what happened there.

Croatia have got a nice team there. I wouldnt rule out a shock.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else not care about the opening ceremonies in any sport, not just football?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else not care about the opening ceremonies in any sport, not just football?

I like them. It's good to watch how host countries wish to portray themselves to the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I've just been watching the riots on the news! :o:o:o
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like opening ceremonies as they're all part of the anticipation, although if Pitbull shows up I'm turning over until the game kicks off.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Head-to-head record: Played 2 Brazil Wins 1 Draws 1
    There was a stat on a programme last night that the host nation has never lost their opening game.