Options

Two Lancasters flying together, but only down south....

Comments

• Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the weather will be kind enough to allow most events. The flypast over Lincoln Cathedral today had to be cancelled because of it. The Red Arrows were due to fly over with them. A real shame for the many that must have been there to see it.

It doesn't look good. It's meant to be Sunday.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Vera has just arrived at RAF Coningsby, in appalling weather. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing them both. :)

I went out to see her arrive earlier near Lincoln, weather was so bad that she went straight to Coningsby ....so I just got rather wet for nothing, hope they reschedule something.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it them I saw at the TdF Grand Depart in York, last month?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Thanks, it`s certainly more comprehensive than the BBMF page .

The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight used to have a page on their site with all the flights including approximate timings. It was handy very useful but seems to have disappeared from their site now, does anyone know how to get this info ? It was also handy if you wanted to go and see them take off/land at Coningsby, and that was certainly a great experience, we did it once or twice.

If you click on 'DISPLAY INFO' on their website you get this page
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/displayinfo/ which lists the venues and dates and they tell you they will publish display timings and appearances on the news pages of the website as they are updated during the display season.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully the weather will be kind enough to allow most events. The flypast over Lincoln Cathedral today had to be cancelled because of it. The Red Arrows were due to fly over with them. A real shame for the many that must have been there to see it.

wad there today working too, just my luck
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a Lancaster at East Kirkby, Lincs, which taxis up and down the runway, you can book to go on it. I wonder if it could be made airworthy?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    There is a Lancaster at East Kirkby, Lincs, which taxis up and down the runway, you can book to go on it. I wonder if it could be made airworthy?

I've been there. It's not cheap to ride in, but it is worth watching. They are trying to get it airworthy, but whether they will remains to be seen.

There are two airshows there coming up that will feature the Lancaster taxying, and the other two flying over it. 5000 tickets for each event, and all sold out.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    wad there today working too, just my luck

I actually went to Scampton yesterday, and the Red Arrows put on two full displays for practice purposes. Breathtaking in perfect weather. People from all over the country were there.

A lot were planning on going to Lincoln today, but the forecast was always looked like the weather would ruin it.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Having seen the proposed route map posted on Twitter last night by RAF Coningsby and realising the formation would be starting just a few miles away from my home I was really looking forward to seeing them pass. So I parked up in a random field with good open views just off the A15.....I believe there were many gathered on the Kirton side of the A15 in the laybys too waiting. :D First news to filter through was everything was delayed by 50 minutes because of weather, it was only at the last minute and thanks to the flight tracking app I used we realised the flight path changed to go directly to Coningsby. Heard it rumbling by in the distance but because of heavy cloud and location saw nothing. :( Big disappointment all round. The most annoying thing is the new flight path took it directly over my sodding house. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen the proposed route map posted on Twitter last night by RAF Coningsby and realising the formation would be starting just a few miles away from my home I was really looking forward to seeing them pass. So I parked up in a random field with good open views just off the A15.....I believe there were many gathered on the Kirton side of the A15 in the laybys too waiting. :D First news to filter through was everything was delayed by 50 minutes because of weather, it was only at the last minute and thanks to the flight tracking app I used we realised the flight path changed to go directly to Coningsby. Heard it rumbling by in the distance but because of heavy cloud and location saw nothing. :( Big disappointment all round. The most annoying thing is the new flight path took it directly over my sodding house. :mad:

A lot of people will have been disappointed yesterday, but there are plenty of events planned, where both will be flying together. A link to them has been posted earlier in the thread.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, with the thunderstorm and downpour that Lincoln got yesterday, I am wasn't surprised it was cancelled.

I drove through Lincoln and passed the Cathedral, all the foot bridges and river banks were absolutely heaving. I went and parked up on the outskirts with the cathedral in view to have my lunch and watch it with camera in hand. When I saw the sky turn black I knew what the outcome would be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    To be fair, with the thunderstorm and downpour that Lincoln got yesterday, I am wasn't surprised it was cancelled.

I drove through Lincoln and passed the Cathedral, all the foot bridges and river banks were absolutely heaving. I went and parked up on the outskirts with the cathedral in view to have my lunch and watch it with camera in hand. When I saw the sky turn black I knew what the outcome would be.

Exactly. The conditions were terrible, and there was no way they could risk them in that weather. I'm sure they were just pleased that Vera could get to Coningsby safely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One just flew over my house in Derby, are they going to East Midlands Airport?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One just flew over my house in Derby, are they going to East Midlands Airport?

The Canadian one is at RAF Coningsby for guided tours.

The other one is in Northern Ireland for the Festival of Flight.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Unless I`ve got this wrong, the much publicised flights together of the last two flying Lancasters are all down south.
    The most northerly displays (and there are only two of them) is in the south midlands !
    I live in Sheffield, just north of the midlands in fact, and the closest display would require a drive of over two hours in each direction...... And there are many millions of people living even further north.
    How could something so obviously biased have come to pass ?

Northeners whining as usual..... it's so unfair.... they get more than us in t' sarth...... it's all a big conspiracy.....

For goodness sake, it's a fly past by a couple of world war II aircraft. It's no big deal.

Did you hear us whingeing and whining that the Tour de France kicked off in Yorkshire..? Do you see us wiping away a trail of salty tears trickling down our cheeks because the Great North Run is held in Newcastle..? Did we blame Hadrian for building his wall oop north..?

No. We don't. Because frankly my dear, we couldn't give a damn.

We just happen to get warmer weather here, on average, too. Is that all a part of the big conspiracy too..?

North is north and south is south. Some things take place in one part of the country and some things occur in another. Get over yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    Northeners whining as usual..... it's so unfair.... they get more than us in t' sarth...... it's all a big conspiracy.....

For goodness sake, it's a fly past by a couple of world war II aircraft. It's no big deal.

Did you hear us whingeing and whining that the Tour de France kicked off in Yorkshire..? Do you see us wiping away a trail of salty tears trickling down our cheeks because the Great North Run is held in Newcastle..? Did we blame Hadrian for building his wall oop north..?

No. We don't. Because frankly my dear, we couldn't give a damn.

We just happen to get warmer weather here, on average, too. Is that all a part of the big conspiracy too..?

North is north and south is south. Some things take place in one part of the country and some things occur in another. Get over yourself.

It is a big deal to many people, and the OP was wrong, there are events in the Midlands, the North and Scotland.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    A lot of people will have been disappointed yesterday, but there are plenty of events planned, where both will be flying together. A link to them has been posted earlier in the thread.

Yes they showed them all on the local news. :D I think despite the disappointment which couldn't be avoided people still had a good time thanks to the atmosphere and anticipation in the busier gatheting places. :)
    Exactly. The conditions were terrible, and there was no way they could risk them in that weather. I'm sure they were just pleased that Vera could get to Coningsby safely.

From what I read there were problems with the brakes when they landed. The bad weather down that way reached us about an hour later. We were quite surprised to hear there was bad weather as we had been sat beneath bright blue skies. :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It is a big deal to many people, and the OP was wrong, there are events in the Midlands, the North and Scotland.

Looking at the list geographically and the dates it seems that they do a 'fly past' when going to or from an airshow (or event) and the organsisers would have booked them for an appearance so it must be a case of 'first come first served'.

They can't 'fly past' every place en route coz of fuel etc.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was out in the workshop earlier, about 12:30, when I heard that sound. Instantly drop my tools, run into the garden and there it was - the venerable old Lanc flying in at low-level.

Made my day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Was out in the workshop earlier, about 12:30, when I heard that sound. Instantly drop my tools, run into the garden and there it was - the venerable old Lanc flying in at low-level.

Made my day!

Where are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you?

Stoke-on-Trent. I believe it did a fly over of the City on it's way to Blackpool after appearing at the Donnington Classic Motorcycle Show.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Lancasters (yet), I hope to catch them down in Eastbourne, but have seen the Dakota and a Spitfire flying over me in the past week or so.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

Made my day!

There's no sound like it. My dad flew on them in 43/44, and can still break into a run if he hears one approaching! We're planning a trip to Just Jane for him, a bit late for his 90th birthday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    There's no sound like it. My dad flew on them in 43/44, and can still break into a run if he hears one approaching! We're planning a trip to Just Jane for him, a bit late for his 90th birthday.

They do taxy rides you know. ;-)
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member

Made my day!

Happened to be on the side of the hill at Penkhull, and could scarcely believe my eyes and ears as it flew up the valley and executed a beautiful turn just above our heads before doing a second pass and then continuing north west. Amazing!