Mother posts video of sons motorbike death

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    If lives are saved because of it then it's ok by me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Agh.

Must admit in my motorcycling days (when I never did anything like 100 mph) it was like wearing a permanent cloak of invisibility, even though I wore a high-vis jacket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Jesus Christ that video made me gasp out loud,the sheer speed it happened.Bless him and his family and I agree if just one life is saved it was the right thing to do,It must have been very hard for his family to release that video.I have lost a relative to a motorbike accident so this is very close to my heart,sleep well David x
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad reality is it won't really change peoples attitudes towards driving despite it being pretty horrific to watch. People are idiots, especially when they're behind a wheel.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I only hope that people don't just take away "dumb-ass speeding biker" from this. :(
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    It won't stop bikers from speeding. I sold my GSXR 1000 eventually because I didn't trust myself to ride it safely. All that power and the feeling that you can just "nip past" whenever you felt like it was just too tempting. I felt like I had pushed my luck for long enough.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost felt that, same feeling as being on a rollercoaster

Why why why is anybody doing 100mph on a motorbike
    Forum Member

Or turning into the path of oncoming traffic, eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Yeah that aswell, but if you look up and see empty road for 500 meters you know it's safe to turn because nobody doing the speed limit can reach you in that time. You can't drive constantly expecting somebody to do 100mph or you would never turn into a side road

Same debate went on when there was a flash git in an expensive car doing about 70mph on a 30 mph road and someone pulled out.
    Forum Member

The problem with us as car drivers is that, through no real fault of our own, we tend to subconsciously look for other cars rather than bikes. So we see bikes, but we don't see them. Also, that motorist will probably not have been able to gauge the bike's speed as it was coming straight at him. Scary video, his life over with in just two seconds.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    The sad reality is it won't really change peoples attitudes towards driving despite it being pretty horrific to watch. People are idiots, especially when they're behind a wheel.

Or riding a bike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member

Because its a thrill and an adrenalin rush.Even though we lost a close relative to a motorbike accident my Brother has a superbike and tears round on it like a lunatic.He wont stop riding for anyone,he says lifes too short and if he dies it'll be doing something he loved :cry:.I must say I wished I hadn't watched that video,too close to home for me
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The problem with us as car drivers is that, through no real fault of our own, we tend to subconsciously look for other cars rather than bikes. So we see bikes, but we don't see them. Also, that motorist will probably not have been able to gauge the bike's speed as it was coming straight at him. Scary video, his life over with in just two seconds.

The main thing that bugs me is that, as a biker, you don't even need to be speeding to have people do stupid stuff.
    If you're on, say, an A-road, stopped at the lights, you'll pull away at a rate that's "leisurely" for a bike and you'll still get some prick turning in front of you because you've left all the cars behind and the idiot hasn't realised how quickly you're approaching.

Do people really just look up the road and think "Everything is small so it must be okay to turn" rather than waiting the extra 2 seconds, paying attention to how quickly the oncoming vehicles are getting bigger and use that information to decide whether it's safe to turn?
    Forum Member
    Do people really just look up the road and think "Everything is small so it must be okay to turn" rather than waiting the extra 2 seconds, paying attention to how quickly the oncoming vehicles are getting bigger and use that information to decide whether it's safe to turn?

Something like that I think, yeah. :(
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, that was horrific. His poor mother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article also doesn't say whether the car driver was charged with anything, unless I missed it

That would say a lot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Absolutely awful to watch. There are consequences to all actions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The article also doesn't say whether the car driver was charged with anything, unless I missed it

That would say a lot

Here's the details of the court case.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/a47_death_crash_driver_disqualified_1_3523497
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would say a lot

If the biker was going at 97mph I don't see how it could possibly have been the car's fault - it wouldn't have seen the biker any sooner than the biker saw the car in the video. Sad situation for all concerned, really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »

Fair do's

As long as I was breathing I would argue that it wouldn't have happened if everybody on the road was sticking to the speed limit, but that's just me.
    Forum Member

I think the motorist was treated very harshly there, and I say that as a former biker. I would say the most prevalent factor in the rider's death was his speed, 97mph.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Simon Shannon, mitigating, argued special reasons for his client not to be disqualified from driving or to have his licence endorsed, relating to the speed Mr Holmes was travelling – said to be 97mph.
    Hmmmm.

I feel sorry for the biker and his family, but at 100mph on a bike on a single carriageway you are taking a hefty risk. I think the car driver got a raw deal to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have been interesting to know what a jury would have made of the case, but with a risk of a jail sentence I suppose the driver couldn't really take that gamble.
    Forum Member
    The motorist should have pleaded not guilty. 97mph is 142 feet per second, so 2 seconds before that collision the bike was almost 300ft down the road, which for any driver would be ample distance to consider crossing the oncoming carriageway. It is not careless therefore to have expected the bike to be travelling at the speed limit and cross accordingly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The motorist should have pleaded not guilty. 97mph is 142 feet per second, so 2 seconds before that collision the bike was almost 300ft down the road, which for any driver would be ample distance to consider crossing the oncoming carriageway. It is not careless therefore to have expected the bike to be travelling at the speed limit and cross accordingly.

Think he may have dropped himself in it at interview when he said that he didn't see the motorbike or the following car, so the speed kind a goes out the window.