Options

Should cold calls be banned after 8pm?

bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
Forum Member
✭✭
On Saturday and today had idiot call centres phone post 8pm.

Is there, should there be a cut off time for these idiot call centres?

Comments

• Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. And before.
  • Options
    Tucks21Tucks21 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cold calls should be banned period. Hate them>:(
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why after 8pm? They should be banned full stop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't work because many of the call centres are located overseas.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cold calls should be made totally illegal at any time. They're a bloody nuisance.

Mind, I think they do phones now in which you just programme in the numbers you want to allow, and all the rest are auto blocked.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no point. A lot of them originate from outside the UK and nothing can be done about those. Much as I detest cold calls I don't hold with this relatively modern nonsense of demanding that everything annoying be banned. Pretty much everything annoys someone at least some of the time.

There are solutions available to deal with this problem. I have a Truecall unit that screens out cold calls completely. There are other similar, cheaper, units that do a pretty good job as well.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »

Every phone call be it local or international has number. There is no reason why these international numbers should not be shown so they could be identified and blocked. It must be possible with modern technology to do this, even the international code would do with the ability to block numbers from selected individual countries possible.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should be banned altogether.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »

Don't they have clocks overseas?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pulled the plug on my home phone. The only people who called it were our grandmothers, cold callers or other people you wouldn't want to talk to like work or the bank.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Every phone call be it local or international has number. There is no reason why these international numbers should not be shown so they could be identified and blocked. It must be possible with modern technology to do this, even the international code would do with the ability to block numbers from selected individual countries possible.
    It's technically possible but requires that the originating carrier provide that information.

You have to understand that today's telecoms industry is very complex. It's not as simple as 'this pipe comes from Russia so it must be a Russian number'. There are a lot of international carriers around - these are companies that sell dial tone to anyone who wants it and consequently the calls they carry could come from anywhere. These companies are operating on the cheap so won't bother doing more than they actually have to. So it may be that all your UK operator knows is that the call is coming from 'Mr Beekle's Phone Service'. It may not even know that given the low cost of such services they may all work together and aggregate their calls. So perhaps all BT know is 'this call is from another country. Probably.'
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My phones on silent. I just use my mobile
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I hate them phoning on a Sunday night. Had one at 8pm on Sunday night. Not impressed. They should be banned. Do people really buy things because of cold calling?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Don't they have clocks overseas?
    I think he was referring to different time zones.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    No, people should just take responsibility for ensuring that they are ex-directory, TPS registered and that they screen all calls with caller ID display and an answer machine.

You should also be careful when it comes to giving their home telephone number to organisations. Make sure the boxes are ticked (or unticked) on forms and websites to make it clear that you don't want any marketing communications from organisations that you deal with or from any other third party organisations, no matter how "carefully selected" they may be.

I haven't had a cold-call for years.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he was referring to different time zones.

And? Most of these overseas call centres are in the Asian sub continent so 6 or 7 hours ahead of us, can't be that hard to work out when to stop calling and go to bed.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    And? Most of these overseas call centres are in the Asian sub continent so 6 or 7 hours ahead of us, can't be that hard to work out when to stop calling and go to bed.

Night shift?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Do people really buy things because of cold calling?

I find it impossible to believe that anyone ever buys anything........but I guess they must do or they'd all close down
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

My point was that we can't stop Asian call centres from calling the UK after 8pm. Our laws don't apply on the Indian subcontinent.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well sadly it's come to this

I arrange with people when to plug the phone in, to talk to them, the whole rest of the time, the phone line is pulled from the socket

Them calling me on a Sunday, was the final straw

If someone needs to get me in emergency, i've still got my mobile

The problem is going to be when these idiots get hold of our mobile numbers
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    No, people should just take responsibility for ensuring that they are ex-directory, TPS registered and that they screen all calls with caller ID display and an answer machine.

You should also be careful when it comes to giving their home telephone number to organisations. Make sure the boxes are ticked (or unticked) on forms and websites to make it clear that you don't want any marketing communications from organisations that you deal with or from any other third party organisations, no matter how "carefully selected" they may be.

I haven't had a cold-call for years.

Done all that, and still get several cold calls a day. I want to get rid of our landline, but hubby doesn't want to because his mother prefers to ring a landline rather than a mobile :confused:
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    Done all that, and still get several cold calls a day. I want to get rid of our landline, but hubby doesn't want to because his mother prefers to ring a landline rather than a mobile :confused:

plus your internet connection..
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Had one last night at 8.30pm. During the day I dont answer the land line if its anything important like family they know to ring the mobiles.So when the phone went at that time I answered it. Hello Mrs ******* this is William speaking...very strong accent.....I said yes...can I ask you a few questions.....okkkkkkkkk....is this Mrs **** ...yessssssssssss.....how old are you ??....whyyyyyy.....because I know what sort of questions to ask you ........so how old are you.....why does that matter???? because of the questions madam.....so this went on for about 5 mins till in the end I said listen I dont want anything or need anything thank you....

So I used the net site whoes calling me....you put the number in and if anyone else has had the same call they put it on there....this is what I got from it.

Infotronics, was set up in Alwarpet.Tamil Nadu, India in 2002,
    It's aim is to be the largest lead generator in India

the firm is offering training in Chennai,India

they can be used by a company based in England to cold call you,because they are based in India they get around the TPS
    you need to find out what they are selling and by whom then report the English company to the ICO
    Caller: Infotronics
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not got caller ID on my house phone so by and large I just ignore the phone ringing.
    Leave a message if you want to talk to me and if I want to talk to you I will call you back. It's rare that I get any calls from anyone I want to talk to on my house phone, so it's no real hardship. And you never get a message left by a cold caller. Those pointless recorded things telling you that you're owed a fortune from a mis-sold PPI or an accident seem to start when the programme detects that the phone has been answered, so you do get messages left from those. Easily deleted.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Cold calls should be made totally illegal at any time. They're a bloody nuisance.

Mind, I think they do phones now in which you just programme in the numbers you want to allow, and all the rest are auto blocked.

Really? Who would actually buy that? Sometimes you're going to get a wanted call from a number you can't know beforehand...