Is there a compelling case to buy a next gen console yet?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm weighing up the pro's and con's myself and have decided that it's better for me to wait until at least next year. Games still coming out for PS3/360 that I'm interested in and my backlog is still ever expanding.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    ...anyone think the Xbox One may drop in price around Xmas time?!

Hoping to pick one up during this time - if the price drops..?!
  • supersleuthsupersleuth Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    To be honest I regret getting a PS4 at launch. It just sits there collecting dust - nothing has come out that is making me love my purchase. The graphics are an obvious step up but to be honest I wish I waited to 2015 for some more games to arrive.

...this...
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...anyone think the Xbox One may drop in price around Xmas time?!

Hoping to pick one up during this time - if the price drops..?!
    I don't think we'll see the Xbox One cheaper than £309 http://www.gamestop.co.uk/Xbox%20One/Games/46631/xbox-one-sunset-overdrive-bundle
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody's mentioned Wii U yet?

You can get one for £210 with the sublime Mario Kart 8 included..... a "killer app" if ever there was one.

Then there's Super Mario 3D World, DKC Tropical Freeze, Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 out already with Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros coming soon.

Well worth any gamers cash right now in my opinion.

Yep, if I was to buy a console right now the Wii U would be my choice.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see the Xbox One cheaper than £309 http://www.gamestop.co.uk/Xbox%20One/Games/46631/xbox-one-sunset-overdrive-bundle

That's an excellent bundle.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Yep, if I was to buy a console right now the Wii U would be my choice.

Absolutely. Theres some really cool looking games coming out for it too. (looking at you knitted Yoshi!).

I'm going to get one for my son at xmas. Wii U and PC combination means you can play nearly all games coming out, bar a couple of the big exclusives which you would miss out on anyway unless you owned both the bone and the pisser. .
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying myself a new console. Thinking I will go with the PS4 purely just for the change. Also PSN has more free games. Then I persuade myself its a waste of money.
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying myself a new console. Thinking I will go with the PS4 purely just for the change. Also PSN has more free games. Then I persuade myself its a waste of money.

The PS4 games on PSN so far have been dire...all 8-bit c**p.
    Hold on till the new year...some of the big hitting titles are on the way
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant hang on. At Christmas Ill have eff all money and I've convinced my husband I require a new console.
    Forum Member
    I cant hang on. At Christmas Ill have eff all money and I've convinced my husband I require a new console.

I got my PS4 at launch.
    There is nothing that is making me think, thank goodness I did.
    Anything half decent (I'm looking at you watchdogs) is on old gen anyway.

New stuff on the way is where it will really be worth the cross over.
    Personally the potential Red Dead sequel, Uncharted 4 have me excited.
    If you have the cash though, get it.......anything new on PS3 is also launching on PS4 so you won't miss out but you won't see much in the way of exclusives just for current gen at the moment either.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PS4 games on PSN so far have been dire...all 8-bit c**p.
    Hold on till the new year...some of the big hitting titles are on the way

Yeah. I'm sure my ZX Spectrum would have no problem throwing around Resogun's 200,000 voxels 60 times a second with each one governed by real time physics at a native resolution of 1920x1080. No sweat.......
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    There's been some great psn games for the ps4: Outlast, Resogun, Don't Starve, Dead Nation etc

It has been poor for the summer. But we get Driveclub next month :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    If you get one you will have it ready for the exciting games.

Oh and I am really enjoying Infamous, much more fun than Watchdogs.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for them to bring out the slimline version that's half the price and doesn't break after 18 months :p ;-) :D

(Joke based on previous consoles. Please don't take seriously).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really like the look of the white one, especially at that price, but I'm just not hyped enough for Sunset Overdrive.

C'mon MS, give me an exclusive worthy of buying a console for.
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I'm sure my ZX Spectrum would have no problem throwing around Resogun's 200,000 voxels 60 times a second with each one governed by real time physics at a native resolution of 1920x1080. No sweat.......

Point taken.

However, I expect more than a shiny scrolling shooter from this gen.
    Personal tastes I guess, but I prefer the open world stuff where I can see and feel the PS4 capabilities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like the look of the white one, especially at that price, but I'm just not hyped enough for Sunset Overdrive.

C'mon MS, give me an exclusive worthy of buying a console for.
    I wasn't that bothered about Sunset Overdrive, but after watching recent videos I think it does look like it will be fun.

I like the white console, but think I'll just stick with the one I've got lol.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for them to bring out the slimline version that's half the price and doesn't break after 18 months :p ;-) :D

(Joke based on previous consoles. Please don't take seriously).

Only last gens had shoddy workmanship. I'm on my 4th 360 and 2nd PS3 (a 3rd got sold off... mistake).

My launch day PS2 still works perfectly. Only disconnected it last year after 13 years of faithful service. And my Ghostcase Xbox would probably still run were it not caught in a fire and got half melted (and the reason I never loan anything out anymore).
    My old Megadrive is in the loft and last checked (admittedly 10 years ago) was still going strong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't that bothered about Sunset Overdrive, but after watching recent videos I think it does look like it will be fun.

I like the white console, but think I'll just stick with the one I've got lol.

I'll check out some videos and read some previews when I get home tonight, see if I can hype myself up.

I've had an absolutely shit year so far, so I'm itching to buy something shiny to cheer myself up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll check out some videos and read some previews when I get home tonight, see if I can hype myself up.

I've had an absolutely shit year so far, so I'm itching to buy something shiny to cheer myself up.
    I don't really get hyped for any games now, only games I really get excited for are Rockstar games.

But I'm in need of some new games, the last one I bought is Watch Dogs back when it was released.
  • Ed_PhelanEd_Phelan Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy a new console yet. I think a new Fallout or Elder scrolls might persuade me.

YES YES YES, this is exactly it!

Although to be honest I'm still working my way through Skyrim, so what's the hurry?

As for Destiny, I took a little look and realised I have seen this being hyped up already, and I do rather fancy it. Sort of looks a little like Unreal Tournament.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Ed_Phelan wrote: »
    As for Destiny, I took a little look and realised I have seen this being hyped up already, and I do rather fancy it. Sort of looks a little like Unreal Tournament.
    I was interested in but not overly hyped about Destiny, Until I played the Alpha.

Its one of those games that you don't really fully get until you play it as its not your typical FPS as far as how the Story/Online stuff works (Been open world with RPG elements etc...). Playing the Alpha & been able to see & fully understand exactly how everything worked, That got me hyped for it.

Just a bit disappointed its not coming to PC :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Only last gens had shoddy workmanship. I'm on my 4th 360 and 2nd PS3 (a 3rd got sold off... mistake).

My launch day PS2 still works perfectly. Only disconnected it last year after 13 years of faithful service. And my Ghostcase Xbox would probably still run were it not caught in a fire and got half melted (and the reason I never loan anything out anymore).
    My old Megadrive is in the loft and last checked (admittedly 10 years ago) was still going strong.

Blame WEEE and teh banning of leaded solder
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The amount of heat created by the PS3 and 360 is massive which is why they needed 80mm or larger fans (an 80mm fan used to be enough to cool my Pentium 4a 2.0GHz CPU but a fan of that size was insufficient when I upgraded to a Pentium 4c 3.4GHz).

People always say how their SNES or Master System still works but forget/ignore that they were passively cooled because they didn't generate much heat. The original PS2 only needed a 40mm fan to keep its temperature under control and the Slim PS2s fan is even smaller.