Options

Game Of Thrones Season 4 [US Sun/UK Mon] [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    For season five, there will need to be three threads. One for the TV show alone, one for the book and one for TV v book discussion. Wait, what about those that watch/ download the US broadcast and like to spoiler it ahead of the UK broadcast? Make that four threads ! It's the only way. ;-)

This year there was an opportunity for some lucky people in NI to see episode 1 only 10 days before it aired on the UK. If it happens next year we'll need a separate thread for that as well! ;)
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is aware that ones queen watches Coronation Street in her bedchambers.

But one would love to know if ones queen watches GoT too!

One would love to know if ones queen has a 'penchant' for any particular House..?

Would perhaps, ones Windsors have an alliance with ones Freys, ones Starks , ones Boltons, Lannisters etc...? I see Tyrells looming large in ones horizons! Remember Elizabeth Regina II, A Tyrell is but a Lannister with roses!
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    I bet anything Penelope cruz will end up on season 5.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO>:(

Dont dont dont.

Overrated, she cant act sincere in anything shes in!

Please not for Dorne. NEXT!>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    One is aware that ones queen watches Coronation Street in her bedchambers.

But one would love to know if ones queen watches GoT too!

One would love to know if ones queen has a 'penchant' for any particular House..?

Would perhaps, ones Windsors have an alliance with ones Freys, ones Starks , ones Boltons, Lannisters etc...? I see Tyrells looming large in ones horizons! Remember Elizabeth Regina II, A Tyrell is but a Lannister with roses!

One already rules over one House Targaryen.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a guess on season 5 on what i keep hearing but will put it in spoilers
    Apologies if mentioned but i keep hearing about Lady Stoneheart. She sounds amazing. I wonder if Michelle Fairley will reprise her role
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't meaning to get at any one poster, but there has been quite a few different book themed posts over the last couple of pages.
    I know the show has ended for now but this is still for the show and not the books :)
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly, I've been staying away from TV forums for a year now for this very reason, but I thought I'd pop in for a look and the first thing I see in the non-book thread is loads of (albeit relatively oblique) book chat. Save yourselves the trouble of being so vague and go talk about the books in the book forum or in the spoiler thread, please, you're keeping people away from the forums.

This is the sort of nasty unwelcoming post that keeps people away from this forum. There are no future spoilers in this thread from book readers, just a reasonably sane discussion of something that has happened in the show, was a bit different in the book, and is all in the past. No spoilers at all. Yet you and posters like you are STILL objecting.

No wonder this site has lost at least half its contributers, if not more, almost every time someone tries to discuss a plot line, even if they've never read the books, someone else accuses them of being a covert book reader and screams spoilers, telling them to go over to the book thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right wading in to derail the spoilers argument, I took to watching Thronecast this season as well and they had a double bill on Monday (1 before, 1 after) and in the one before they had a brief clip of each cast member who appeared on TC this season.

This was the one I didn't see when it aired, it would appear Tyrion (and Brienne's) young squire is a man of many talents.

http://youtu.be/4gYivhz-6R0
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the sort of nasty unwelcoming post that keeps people away from this forum. There are no future spoilers in this thread from book readers, just a reasonably sane discussion of something that has happened in the show, was a bit different in the book, and is all in the past. No spoilers at all. Yet you and posters like you are STILL objecting.

I don't get their attitude either. Plenty of sites rightly consider book talk for future events as spoilers and warn as such. They'd never warn though about discussing things from the books that have already happened on screen.

Surely it's not that complex a 'rule'? If it's happened on screen then you can discuss it - where's the problem with that?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No wonder this site has lost at least half its contributers, if not more, almost every time someone tries to discuss a plot line, even if they've never read the books, someone else accuses them of being a covert book reader and screams spoilers, telling them to go over to the book thread.

There’s nothing nasty about the post. This is the TV show thread; anyone entering the thread can expect to read about past events - in the programme. If events, timelines, characters differ from the books (even slightly) and those differences are discussed here then anyone who may want to read the books at some point in the future is risking having those differences spoiled, and that’s not fair.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    There’s nothing nasty about the post. This is the TV show thread; anyone entering the thread can expect to read about past events - in the programme. If events, timelines, characters differ from the books (even slightly) and those differences are discussed here then anyone who may want to read the books at some point in the future is risking having those differences spoiled, and that’s not fair.

So you're arguing that the book talk spoils the books?

Surely the whole TV show spoils the books? Nobody watching the TV show first is going to care about spoiling the books. Otherwise they wouldn't be watching the TV show at all!
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NPW wrote: »
    DISCLAIMER - I have read the books but am only referencing the show, going to try really hard not to foreshadow.

The story arcs I am most interested in next season are

Arya – I think her journey for independence is really deep. Her growth from a tomboy envying her brothers training with swords to a leader of the misfits (Gendry, Hot Pie) now wising up about the world around her and politics (time with Tywin and the hound). She has struck out on her own and Bravoos is another new adventure, and using the coin to get there means she has ‘an endgame’ in mind. I must be the only one that was pleased she didn’t end up seeing Sansa at the Eeryie.

Jon Snow – Despite knowing nothing, I like how he has grown up since leaving the Starks and has become his own man. He has made the watch his family but has remained compassionate and headstrong. His position at the wall was also strengthening but then Stannis arrived. I didn’t want Ygritte to die, although I know why she had to, and liked the adaptation of her death in the show. The look with the EVIL RED LADY (one character I have no attachment to all) was odd.

Gendry – hopefully we see him again.

Mother of Dragons – after the heartbreaking scene of locking of her dragons away I wonder how long she will be content to ‘rule’ and not move on (which would give her dragons freedom) I’m not a shipper of her and Jon Snow but would like her to have a real relationship again, very bored of all this unrequited love rubbish. Despite that I want her to be fierce again and to be fighting for the Iron throne.

Cersai – her father has been murdered by the brother she considered to murder her mother? What is her revenge? How will she react to Jamie freeing Tyrion? With the House of Lannister now severely weakened what has she got to fight for?

I have to say I was pleased the highly anticipated ending was saved for the next season, I think I would have overshadowed everything else that happened in the finale. I could go but getting tempted to talk about things I shouldn’t.

I have been bored by Daenerys' plotline this season. It has mainly been the same scenes repeated on a loop as if to justify her screen time.

The plot line I am most looking forward to is the development of Sansa; what will she do next and Petyr Baelish. Sansa's character arc finally kicked up a notch this season so it will be interesting to see her as a player in the game of thrones.
    Petyr is such a complex character. You never know what his plans are and what he will do next. Aidan Gillen is a great actor.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    So you're arguing that the book talk spoils the books?

Surely the whole TV show spoils the books? Nobody watching the TV show first is going to care about spoiling the books. Otherwise they wouldn't be watching the TV show at all!

Thats an interetsting mindset, and it probably reveals why some book readers don't think it's a problem to discuss book events in a thread thats dedicated to the TV show.

From the perspective of a non book reader, I would say that I am enjoying the story as is being told on the programme. I am aware that the books are far more insightful and extensive, and some things are slightly different. At some point I will want to read the books, and yes, from watching the programme I will be aware about the general story; but I would hope not to have that additional insight and the differences spoiled. We are talking about two different interperations of one piece of work, it is reasonbale to ask not to have one of those interperations spoiled in a thread restricted to just one of those interpretations...specially when there is already a thread which specifically allows for books discussion.
  • Options
    FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I like hearing the book stuff when it comes to the difference between book Shae and show Shae and when it gives more background to characters and events.

Obviously anyone who posts spoilers from the books needs to be beheaded
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flannerz wrote: »
    I like hearing the book stuff when it comes to the difference between book Shae and show Shae and when it gives more background to characters and events.

Obviously anyone who posts spoilers from the books needs to be beheaded

I'm the same as you. I like the look back at some of the differences in the book as long as there are no spoilers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    lilirose wrote: »
    I have been bored by Daenerys' plotline this season. It has mainly been the same scenes repeated on a loop as if to justify her screen time.

The plot line I am most looking forward to is the development of Sansa; what will she do next and Petyr Baelish. Sansa's character arc finally kicked up a notch this season so it will be interesting to see her as a player in the game of thrones.
    Petyr is such a complex character. You never know what his plans are and what he will do next. Aidan Gillen is a great actor.

i knew i forgot one. Both Sansa and Peter played a stonker this season and i'm glad Sansa has a bit of character about her.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'll probably find that this forum has been hemorrhaging contributors because DS has hidden it almost completely from view like some sort of dirty little secret.

Sorry you feel so offended by my "nasty" post, but my experiences have partly RUINED my enjoyment of GoT in the past and I have found that far more "unwelcoming" than any inert and impersonal observation on general forum behaiviour.

I have no idea of the specific content or context of what was said earlier in the thread, because I saw the words "in the books" on the screen and immediately scanned past the post and any responses as my brain has been conditioned to since I last frequented the DS Cult Forum.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally was able to watch the final episode last night!

Bloody hell!!!

It was incredible. But Shae :o in Tywins Bed :o I screamed so loud at the telly!

And THAT fight between The Hound & Brienne. Epic.

So much happened, did Tywin shit gold at the end?

I have to watch again tonight as I still haven't taken it all in.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually feel like Shae hasn't just betrayed Tyrion, but she also betrayed me! I hate her... She's only a TV show character but I actually hate her! I also have such fond memories of her and a part of me will always love her.

So torn, man this is making me weird :D
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a book reader who also enjoys the TV version. I don't agree with spoilers though I do like to talk about book stuff but wouldn't on here, although I do like it when people discuss book stuff on here, though I don't agree with this and thinks it's wrong. Sometimes when people discuss book stuff I kinda like it, but don't like people discussing book stuff when there's a thread for book readers which they (we) really should use more, though I do like discussing the books, but don't think it should be discussed on this thread, though I do like discussing book stuff... only not on here.

I hope this makes everything clear.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I hope this makes everything clear.

Clear as mud :)
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    i was late to the game of thrones party and by the time i had finished catching up with Seasons 1-3 i missed 4.

I can see you can download it, but id rather own it on blu ray tbh, but any idea if and when Sky will have this on demand?
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm glad I got the books when I did (after season 2). For the first two seasons there was a lot of book discussion and it wasn't very spoilery (Ned's head was a shock). I found it very interesting finding out about the regions and the houses and the politics. I guess as the show has had time to build the universe this is less needed.
    It seems most of us who wanted more background went and got the books and those who remain are those who don't wish to know book stuff as the thread has become very intolerant of readers (even those who do not spoil future events). To even mention the fact that there are books seems to garner contempt. I've not posted much in thread this season as a result.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A non-spoilerish question about the books; can anyone say - round about - where the series is up to in the story of the books? From what I've seen, I think "A Feast for Crows," is book 4, so is that where we are currently up to after the end of season 4?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    A non-spoilerish question about the books; can anyone say - round about - where the series is up to in the story of the books? From what I've seen, I think "A Feast for Crows," is book 4, so is that where we are currently up to after the end of season 4?

All over the place.
    One main character's storyline has a fairly big chunk of Book 3 material to go still.

A few characters have just finished their book 3 material

A few others are into their Book 4/5 material (these two books are concurrent for the most part)

There's even a few characters who have more or less used all their published material so will either be on Book 6 material for Season 5 or have TV only plotlines.