Options

Annoying things about modern cars

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auto sending works just as well as intermittent. Especially since it's more able to accurately match the rainfall and also rapid to quick increases or decreases well.

I take it you don't drive a Golf then? I have had two, a 10 plate and a brand new 14 plate. Both with auto wipers and the new one is just as irritating as the old one. When they work they work fine. It is just that they cannot seem to figure out how to work properly all the time.

One of the main annoyances is that if you are driving in heavy rain on auto wipers they are perfectly OK as long as you are moving. But come to a stop at traffic lights for example and chances are they will park up and not wipe again. Why? Did it not occur to whoever designed the things that if you are waiting at the lights you might actually want to be able to see out of the windscreen to see when the lights go green? Fair enough drop from continuous to intermittent, but just stop? Who thought that would be a good idea?
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I take it you don't drive a Golf then? I have had two, a 10 plate and a brand new 14 plate. Both with auto wipers and the new one is just as irritating as the old one. When they work they work fine. It is just that they cannot seem to figure out how to work properly all the time.

One of the main annoyances is that if you are driving in heavy rain on auto wipers they are perfectly OK as long as you are moving. But come to a stop at traffic lights for example and chances are they will park up and not wipe again. Why? Did it not occur to whoever designed the things that if you are waiting at the lights you might actually want to be able to see out of the windscreen to see when the lights go green? Fair enough drop from continuous to intermittent, but just stop? Who thought that would be a good idea?

Had a Skoda Octavia 07 plate - VAG wise. Worked fine. Never had that issue at all.

Never had it on a Mazda 6 either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a Skoda Octavia 07 plate - VAG wise. Worked fine. Never had that issue at all.

Never had it on a Mazda 6 either.
    Interesting given that the oily bits of the two are more or less the same. So you'd think the electronics would be the same as well.

Maybe VAG changed the design between 2007 and 2010 because I can almost guarantee that the wipers would stop soon after the car came to a standstill. If it wasn't for the fact the new one I've got does it as well I could accept that the previous one was a "Friday afternoon" example and had a dodgy control unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting given that the oily bits of the two are more or less the same. So you'd think the electronics would be the same as well.

Maybe VAG changed the design between 2007 and 2010 because I can almost guarantee that the wipers would stop soon after the car came to a standstill. If it wasn't for the fact the new one I've got does it as well I could accept that the previous one was a "Friday afternoon" example and had a dodgy control unit.

Well the components might be the same but the control logic could be different. Though I can't think of any reason for auto wipers to cease when the car is stationary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the components might be the same but the control logic could be different. Though I can't think of any reason for auto wipers to cease when the car is stationary.

Nor can I. But 99 times out of a 100 they would just park themselves. I had to use the momentary position when you flick the stalk down from the off position to clear the screen.

The only other possibility is that they go into a long delay intermittent mode and would eventually wipe. But I like to be able to see clearly out of the windscreen so maybe I just never waited long enough to find out and went into manual control mode :)
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    The only other possibility is that they go into a long delay intermittent mode and would eventually wipe.

I think that's what happens as I've noted the same behaviour on my car (2010 Golf) - pulling up at lights or a junction and the delay between wipes increases. Start moving again and the previous frequency resumes. There must be some "you are stopped so there isn't any spray coming up from traffic in front of you, so the wipers don't need to be on as often" kind of logic programmed into them. If that happens when I'm driving, I just flick the frequency switch up a notch and back down again.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars are getting wider and wider dues to increasing demands on occupant safety. No doubt a good thing.

However, increased girth makes it challenging to park in relatively narrow parking spaces and squeeze through tight traffic.
  • Options
    eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I'm not keen on the position of the ariel, and the fact they don't retract into a near-flush position when not being used. Completely ruins the overall aesthetics IMO.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    But auto sensing doesn`t always work though does it ? I find so anyway, and so do a few others on here. From personal experience variable speed intermittent is my preferred solution, and more reliable.

It depends on the car. My old Laguna failed to identify the fact it had been drizzling for 10 minutes then wake up and go full tilt when one wipe would have done.
    My Insignia is a lot better at matching the speed with the amount of rain falling on the windscreen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eva_prior wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I'm not keen on the position of the ariel, and the fact they don't retract into a near-flush position when not being used. Completely ruins the overall aesthetics IMO.

:confused: Modern cars have the radio aerial as a thin wire embedded into the rear window. Sat Nav aerials tend to be a small fin at the rear of the roof.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Cars are getting wider and wider dues to increasing demands on occupant safety. No doubt a good thing.

However, increased girth makes it challenging to park in relatively narrow parking spaces and squeeze through tight traffic.

It's not so much the parking that's the problem, it's after I've parked when the time comes to try to open the doors to get out. And hoping that, while I'm away, nobody manages to squeeze in even closer, such as the occasion when I was really glad to be driving an estate.

And speaking of width... in what way is the BMW "Mini" actually mini. I was standing next to a real Mini a few weeks ago, it brought home just how big the BMW version parked a few feet away really was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    :confused: Modern cars have the radio aerial as a thin wire embedded into the rear window. Sat Nav aerials tend to be a small fin at the rear of the roof.

BiBs are the ones. Surely a more discreet design can be produced. I kinda perceive the fins as too big and on the most conspicuous place on the vehicle. They're a real bugbear for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [/B]

BiBs are the ones. Surely a more discreet design can be produced. I kinda perceive the fins as too big and on the most conspicuous place on the vehicle. They're a real bugbear for me.

Because GPS aerials have to have "line-of-sight" to as many satellites as possible to work well. They can't go behind any metal (which acts as a block because of the Faraday effect), which leaves either on top of the roof, the bonnet or at the front of the windscreen (which is where after-sale units have to go, and even then they can't use the low-ephemeris satellites behind you).
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I've never even noticed them, so they must be fairly discrete. It's not like there is a big (Sky) satellite dish stuck on the back.

=

I accept most of the points made in this thread, but some are rather nit-picky.

Let's face it, some people will never be happy, whatever happens in car design and technology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly, that's true of so many drivers these days. :(

Are indicators fitted to cars nowadays, as so many people don't seem to use them. >:(

Another feature I'd like fitted in cars is speed control in certain areas, so you cannot exceed the designated speed limit. There are just too many drivers these days that speed and especially in urban areas are a great danger to other road users. I think the technology already exists, but unfortunately is hugely expensive to implement. Either that or put up more speed cameras. I know a lot of people don't like speed cameras, but the only way many drivers learn not to break the law is by getting fined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because GPS aerials have to have "line-of-sight" to as many satellites as possible to work well. They can't go behind any metal (which acts as a block because of the Faraday effect), which leaves either on top of the roof, the bonnet or at the front of the windscreen (which is where after-sale units have to go, and even then they can't use the low-ephemeris satellites behind you).

Thanks for the explanation. If I was a car designer, I would make them retract when the car is not being used.
    jra wrote: »
    I've never even noticed them, so they must be fairly discrete. It's not like there is a big (Sky) satellite dish stuck on the back.

=

I accept most of the points made in this thread, but some are rather nit-picky.

Let's face it, some people will never be happy, whatever happens in car design and technology.

I think you will probably notice them from now on!

It is a personal bugbear. However, let's not forget image/aesthetics are very important for a lot of people when making purchase decisions for most products - including cars.

BiB is very subjective.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member

I thought that was the mobile phone aerial? Or is it a combined GPS and mobile phone aerial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the explanation. If I was a car designer, I would make them retract when the car is not being used.

I think you will probably notice them from now on!

It is a personal bugbear. However, let's not forget image/aesthetics are very important for a lot of people when making purchase decisions for most products - including cars.

BiB is very subjective.

Subjective indeed. Most cars look pretty much the same to me, but there again, I haven't got much interest in them other than trying to avoid being run over by them and the numerous delays they cause me, as a pedestrian and public transport user.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Subjective indeed. Most cars look pretty much the same to me, but there again, I haven't got much interest in them other than trying to avoid being run over by them and the numerous delays they cause me, as a pedestrian and public transport user.

We're on the same page here. My favourite modes of transport are walking and peddling. My own car is my first - bought from new, over twenty six years ago.

In my eyes, the only thing that differentiates one car from another is its colour!

But the fin aerial is on all the new cars, and I just don't like them for that. Minor detail on one level, but a significant niggle for me.

I just think the car designers need to SORT IT !!
  • Options
    Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    Auto sending works just as well as intermittent. Especially since it's more able to accurately match the rainfall and also rapid to quick increases or decreases well.

What happens if you`ve got a dirty windscreen......... (also applies to "autolights")
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if you`ve got a dirty windscreen......... (also applies to "autolights")

What do you think happens if you have a dirty windscreen?

You use the windscreen washers - just as you would do if you didn't have autowipers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    I thought that was the mobile phone aerial? Or is it a combined GPS and mobile phone aerial?

it will be to do with primarily the GPS. On the Golfs if I recall correctly, Mobile phone antennae's are incorporated into the windscreen. Or that might be Ford.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not on mine (Mazda), it dosent, sometimes even heavy rain it dosent work straight away, and Never goes to "Fastest" in heavy rain, i have to do that manually.
    Must be different types in different makes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Not on mine (Mazda), it dosent, sometimes even heavy rain it dosent work straight away,

How often are those sometimes and what is the delay between you having to adjust the intermittent setting anyway?
    and Never goes to "Fastest" in heavy rain, i have to do that manually.
    Must be different types in different makes.

Unless I'm mistaken - intermittent doesn't go up to fastest either.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often are those sometimes and what is the delay between you having to adjust the intermittent setting anyway?

Unless I'm mistaken - intermittent doesn't go up to fastest either.

Auto dosent replace "intermittant" ,its supposed to adjust to any rainfall.