Options

The Great Fire - ITV Thursday 16th October at 9pm.

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Just watching an interview with Daniel Mays who plays Samuel Pepys about this new 3 part drama starting tonight at 9pm on ITV and he revealed that it is the most expensive period drama ever made on British TV. The sets of all the streets are all life sized and built in Henley and cost over a millions pounds.

The ITN reporter Tom Bradby has written the 3 part series and has gone into great detail to uncover the political background and shenanigans that occurred during the reign of Charles II. It better be good now after all that time and expense spent. :D

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reviews are good for it.

Btw Its a 4-part drama :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reviews are good for it.

Oh. I thought he said 3 parts. Apparently there was no CGI used for the fire scenes. I bet that got a bit hairy at times. :o The sets do look pretty amazing in the behind the scenes footage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh. I thought he said 3 parts. Apparently there was no CGI used for the fire scenes. I bet that got a bit hairy at times. :o

Yeah no CGI fire which makes it all the more real and easier for the actors to work with.

The entire set was built and burnt down. I think it cost a fair wack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah no CGI fire which makes it all the more real and easier for the actors to work with.

Over a million pounds. Although I've just seen on the behind the scenes footage that the great hall used for many scenes isn't historically accurate. They used it because it looked so good on screen. I just thought I'd get that in there before the usual pedants go off on one about the historical inaccuracies. :D
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ok, so no second takes, then.;-)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this, but I can't stand the main actor ... I forget his name .... that's it, Andrew Buchan. He is too gormless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reviews are good for it.

It's an hour for every day of the fire. So 4 episodes makes more sense. :D
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this, but I can't stand the main actor ... I forget his name .... that's it, Andrew Buchan. He is too gormless.

Just the opposite for me...I think he is a really good actor and loved 'Garrow's Law'.
    I am a big fan of historical dramas so looking forward to seeing this...
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a waste of money
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also looking forward to this. I hope it lives up to expectations.

As mentioned above, there are some background videos on the ITV website. They're under the Latest Insights at the bottom:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/

Very interesting how they created the fire. I'm so glad they haven't used CGI because it's very rarely convincing to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a waste of money

Yes they'd be better spending it on another singing show really :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they'd be better spending it on another singing show really :confused:

It will sell really well overseas so they'll make their money back and some in no time.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Just the opposite for me...I think he is a really good actor and loved 'Garrow's Law'.
    I am a big fan of historical dramas so looking forward to seeing this...

I loved Garrows Law too (I trying to remember the name of it whilst talking to someone yesterday- so thank you). In fact, when I saw him in the the trailer for this I thought for a moment it was returning.

I don't know a lot about Buchan but I really enjoyed him in that and I usually like historical dramas. So, yeah, I'll definitely give this a go
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it but a daft time to be on. Big budget drama so you'd think they'd put it on peaktime maybe sunday 8-10 or wednesday 8-10.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very interesting article on the fire here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11150047/The-week-that-London-burned.html

It really puts it into context about the political situation. And as was mentioned in the ITV website videos, it was after the fire that the London we know - of Inigo Jones and Christopher Wren was built.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Not very clever to put it up against Peaky Blinders.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm guessing they have spent the budget mainly of effects, since the clips I have seen look dire. It looks like yet another period drama that has no real depth, the costumes look very cheapo. People will watch because of a) the effects and b) it's costume drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Not very clever to put it up against Peaky Blinders.

Peaky Blinders is only pulling in 1.4m, not enough to create a threat to The Great Fire.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,040
    Forum Member
    Oh. I thought he said 3 parts. Apparently there was no CGI used for the fire scenes. I bet that got a bit hairy at times. :o The sets do look pretty amazing in the behind the scenes footage.

Sorry for being ignorant but what is CGI:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    Sorry for being ignorant but what is CGI:confused:

Computer generated imagery.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,040
    Forum Member
    Computer generated imagery.

Thanks, showing my age:blush:
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I loved Garrows Law too (I trying to remember the name of it whilst talking to someone yesterday- so thank you). In fact, when I saw him in the the trailer for this I thought for a moment it was returning.

I don't know a lot about Buchan but I really enjoyed him in that and I usually like historical dramas. So, yeah, I'll definitely give this a go

He was in Cranford a few years back too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scenes of a sexual nature. Oooo errr missus.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shiny clean hair, pristine perfect clothes. clean streets, = I don't think so!
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that Jon Snow's girlfriend?